|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Raising TC Off Bed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Go for Broke

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/20 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newbie here with a question about my first truck camper.

I have read that you can add rubber mat to the floor of the truck bed to raise the TC. This appears primarily to keep the shelf from contacting the roof of the truck.

So far, so good.

I would then assume that some sort of support would be added to the bed rails to support the TC full width.

Here are my questions:

What is a good material?
Should they be the full length of the bed rails?
Should they also span the width of the bed immediately behind the cab?
Should this supports be attached or are they retained by the weight of the TC?
Is a problem with water leaking around and filling the truck bed?
Anything else I should know about this technique?

Thanks Y’all,

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 12:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You DONT want the camper resting on the bed rails. Add enough height to the truck bed to get the camper to clear the rails. Don’t have to be by much 1/2”? Clear would be sufficient.
Plywood, horse stall mats, bed mat, or combination of, to get the height.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JD5150

Anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 03:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two different types of campers for a truck. One that sits on the bed rails and one that doesn't. I'm guessing you have a truck camper that doesn't sit on the bed rails, but sits on the truck floor.

Camper that sits on the rails can be called a topper, cap, canopy, shell, camper shell. Some today have a small cabover. These ones with a small cabover are hard side or pop up/top. This type of camper clamps to the bed rails. This type of camper usually doesn't have jacks to lift it off the truck but there are some/very few on the market that do.

Camper that sits on the floor of the truck and clears the rails is a truck camper. These too can be hard side or pop up/top. These would be easier to take off the truck using jacks. This type of camper uses tie downs to secure it to the truck. These are fully enclosed and heavier than the camper that sits on the rails.

time2retire

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to add height to the TC because the bed overhang touches the running lights on my truck cab. I used 2" thick Foamular 250 high density extruded polystyrene. It works perfectly. It also allows me to reach in over the bed rails to utilize for storage (fishing poles, umbrellas, furniture in a bag, etc.).

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would be helpful if info on truck and camper were included in your questions. From other current post stated an S&S 8Sc camper on F350.
pic of a '99 S&S
[image]
This camper designed to set on floor, should not contact the top of bed rails.
Primary purpose of a bed mat is to help camper from sliding, some compensation of uneven surface. Use for height, as most are only 3/8-1/2" thick, marginal. And you do want a gap between truck roof and camper.
Have you driven this short bed truck with the 8' camper on?

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

Geewizard

E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2retire wrote:

I had to add height to the TC because the bed overhang touches the running lights on my truck cab. I used 2" thick Foamular 250 high density extruded polystyrene. It works perfectly. It also allows me to reach in over the bed rails to utilize for storage (fishing poles, umbrellas, furniture in a bag, etc.).

Ditto here but not because of running lights but my newer Tundra had higher bed sides than my older Tundra.

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
220W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Wave 3 Heater
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to raise my Lance 3" to clear the roof lights and the rails on new F350.
All you need is "perimeter" support. Meaning only edge of the camper needs support. I used 2.5x6" planks and used screws to hold them around the edges of standard sheet of 1/2" plywood.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You either have a Ford truck or a really old TC. Fords have tall cabs, and old TCs were made when all trucks had low cabs…

I use a super cheap floor mat rubber, probably made from old car tires. All the mat does is keep the TC from sliding around on the slippery metal bed. The horse mats are ideal as they are thick and you should get much less slide than a thin mat.

Look up on theTC forum about supporting the camper when it is off. Many use an "X" support made from one piece of plywood. How to make will be in many post, and the pic tells it all, but you put that 3/4 inch plywood, now 4 pieces of plywood, laying flat under the TC when on the truck, so take it with you. you get 3/4 inch extra height, and you have a base stand with you at all times just in case.
You still need a rubber mat, so that is extra height even.
HD can cut the wood in 4 pieces for you but I doubt they can make the cut that makes it work into an X.

Basically you cut a slot half way through each piece so the two halves can slide together making an X.
Im having trouble searching for it, so you may have to browse down the TC list.

On mine, I put the rubber mat on the truck bed, the wood on that, and the TC on the wood, then I used that foam-like rubber floor mat on top of the wood to keep camper from sliding on the wood (since mine is a fiberglass belly).

* This post was edited 02/03/20 05:56pm by ajriding *

Go for Broke

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ALL - 99 F-350, extended cab, short bed, SRW. 2000 S&S Bitterroot 8SC. As for this combination, it is either this or something completely different.

ajriding - I've seen pictures some where and it seems a very savvy idea.

AnEv942 - No. The two are not even in the same town yet. You must have a reason for asking, so please feel free to elaborate. "Rhino skin" here.

ALL OTHER - Great info!

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't want the camper supported by anything other than the truck bed floor. It shouldn't touch the bed rails, tailgate, cab roof, or anything else.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Raising TC Off Bed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.