|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Interior Design – Painting

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was looking for a truck camper a couple of years ago, I looked at many many campers, of those campers there was a fair share that were advertised as remodeled. Basically they painted the interior. The reasons for the remodel im sure was varied, but none of them (as in absolutely NONE) were as nice or clean looking as the original finishings. I came to the conclusion that repainting was a whole heck of lot of work to do it right. I would rethink the idea of painting etc. and try to make your jail cell more livable in ways that don't require a complete paint job. I am sure it can be done, and as mentioned above they were talking professional interior painters, if you insist on painting Id go in with idea that painting even a truck camper is more than slapping some paint on the walls. You asked for ideas, concerns in painting the interior of your truck camper, I say don't do it.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I'm a semi-retired professional, so I made my suggestions from that point of view. But it's definitely not something as simple as painting a room in an S&B

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Youngm3571

Spokane WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might also consider “off gassing” factor. Might take quite a while for the smell to go away in such a confined space.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Youngm3571 wrote:

Might also consider “off gassing” factor. Might take quite a while for the smell to go away in such a confined space.

It’s no different than painting a room in your house.
I had no issues with that.

You get to choose your colors too. The main reason we painted our old camper was that we HATED the dark icky wood paneling.

I thought it was a bad idea and would look cheap and crummy too. But when my wife transformed the thing from a depressing ‘70s basement rec room looking dungeon to a “glamper” looking, light and fresh place with a lot of our personal favorite teal shades, it was amazing. A lot of people have admired it.

We got a new Northern Lite, and we aren’t gonna paint that. But if it’s anything that isn’t super new and fresh, go for it. It’ll be better than you think.

About how much effort it is, it’s a lot. The edges and corners are the tedious part of painting anything, and the whole camper interior is edges and corners. It’s nothing like rolling paint across a big empty bedroom wall.
But it’s totally worth it.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh one more thing. The fresh paint makes all the trim look old.
I removed things like the plastic air conditioner cover and light housings that had yellowed with age.
I cleaned them with paint thinner then primed and painted them, with white rattle-can paint.
That made a huge difference. It gave the rig a clean new appearance.
I also used adhesive vinyl contact paper to redo the countertops.
Sure it’s too fragile to cut on with knives but it’s held up surprisingly well and looks WAY better.
I pulled the sink to put it on, and trimmed the outer edges with a razor knife.
The floor is that snap-together “engineered hardwood” stuff.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Interior Design – Painting
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.