RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Traveling in a group— How do you handle it?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Traveling in a group— How do you handle it?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning a fishing trip with another couple this spring. Will be a couple of days drive They have a pop up truck camper and we have the 5th wheel. Plan is they will haul their boat, sleep in their camper with meals and down time in our 5er. Seems like it will work out.

But while talking, the men had a bit of a disagreement with the women. Both of our wives feel like we should stay within sight of each other while on the road. Both of us men feel like we have cell phones if we need help, and trying to stay together will just make driving more demanding, especially for me with 12,000 pounds behind me.

Back before cell phones, I generally did try to stay close to the rest of the group. Even with a CB, you couldn’t spread out too far. I figure now, maybe have a mid day meeting place and just connect again when you get where you are going.

What do you all think?

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Staying in sight" went out when cell phones came in. I like to drive at my own pace which is usually slower than most of my friends. Did enough "convoying" in the Army to last me...forever. Besides, we stop at anything interesting along the road and that drives many people crazy.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with you. Cell phones will keep you connected as much as you need or want and meeting for lunch breaks or rest stops, etc will keep you fairly close in miles.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Meet up at your destination. Use the cell phones if needed, provided you have coverage.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"In sight' all the time no way. Different driving habits and traffic can make this nearly impossible.
Set the route, try to stay close as best you can, schedule stops via cell phone to keep close together.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

I like your idea, I see no benefit to keep within sight of each other while traveling.
You, or them, may want to stop for a bathroom break, snack, something interesting, etc..
You could ask the wives to drive one vehicle while the husbands drove the other vehicle?
But, the old saying comes to mind, 'happy wife happy life.' [emoticon]

navigator2346

texas

View Profile

If you have ever watched a couple of people traveling together you will notice that they are usually right on the bumper afraid that someone gets between them. Kinda comical to watch the antics trying to stay together. We travel with friends and sometimes will be a mile or two apart but never closer than 1/4 mile. This gives the idiots a chance to get around and not cause a problem. Besides, both of you know where you are going

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maintaining in sight while convoying on a busy highway while towing is a major effort and can distract you from safety, IMHO. Cell phone reception can be iffy in some areas out west or in the mountains but work wonderful around cities. I recommend either a classic CB backup or FRP radios. I would try to stay within a few miles of each other, at least within 10. Having planned stops at rest stops or known restaurants will allow you to regroup & discuss travel plans if/when you get separated.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we vacationed with another couple..very close friends...several times. we always traveled together. worked for us.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my experience, it was fun to pull off at rest stops together, but once we were separated, there was no catching up. My friend stopped to check out a produce market and we never looked back. Plus at that point, as the person towing, I did not want to dilly dally waiting for her.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Traveling in a group— How do you handle it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.