RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Traveling in a group— How do you handle it?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Traveling in a group— How do you handle it?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

In my experience, it was fun to pull off at rest stops together, but once we were separated, there was no catching up. My friend stopped to check out a produce market and we never looked back. Plus at that point, as the person towing, I did not want to dilly dally waiting for her.

Yup, that cat and mouse game gets old fast. Best to meet up at the destination.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would just meet at the destination that way people can stop for whatever reason without making the other wait.

bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been RV camping with friends for a number of years now. We always just agree to meet up at the campground, although sometimes we meet or pass each other on the highway. The hardest part was trying to get campground reservations with spots next to each other, but I solved that this year. Gave one of my credit cards to the gal who makes all the plans and told her just tell me when, where and how much it cost.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well though it is best to caravan within sight of each others.

nothing wrong with using phones and/or radios to "Spread out" My preference is radio.. but then sitting here in Seneca SC I was talking to a fellow radio persion up in S.E. Michigan. and a truck driver in Tenesee and .. Well you get the idea. (NOT CB however)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

ryoung

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go it alone until your destination.

ryoung

2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as all parties have the same interests and are in agreement about where, when, and how long to stop, . . . . no problem. (IME, that's rarely the case) "Oh honey look, . . . . let's stop and see the worlds biggest ball of string." No thanks!

I like to travel in the least complicated way. IMO, the more people and the more vehicles, the more complicated things get.

I much prefer, . . . . . . "Hey we'll see ya when ya/we arrive. You have my number, call me if you need me."

Chum lee

EDIT: Of course, sometimes there are KNOWN mechanical issues, health issues, weather, road conditions, traveling through KNOWN high crime areas, remote areas, etc. where the value of being in a group is worth its weight in gold, . . . . . usually not though.

* This post was edited 02/05/20 01:14pm by Chum lee *

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I generally agree with the majority of the above people, don't convoy. Just agree to meet at rest stops, maybe a particular restaurant that is along the route for lunch or something. Cell phones will let you stay in contact except maybe in mountainous regions where coverage might be limited, but if you have a few rendevous (sp?)spots along the way there shouldn't be any problem. I've been in several convoy situations and somebody is always tailgating or talking too much on the CB, etc. Have a good trip and catch some fish!

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Different spin. We go RVing with two other couples. We generally stick together. Not anally to the point of getting worried about someone between us, but we all have similar driving habits (speed at 63MPH for best fuel mileage, and stay in the right lane). So, by default we are together. The wifes will coordinate where to stop for lunch. We don't get upset if we lose sight of each other, but more times than not, we are together.

It's no stress either way. We don't sweat the small stuff.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5 couples, 4 cars. Two of us were lead, and we switched back and forth. Group agreed to 75 on posted 70 highway, off highway posted limits. One car accused us of speeding up and slowing down. Our cars cruise controls were perfectly aligned, never needing adjusting up or down. The guy who couldn't hold a steady speed, we got stuck behind a log hauler doing 35 in a 55, he was almost a mile behind us, so passing would have left him behind. No smart phone, no GPS, he was dependent on us...

Don't get me started on his attitude on the house boat we were on for a week. NEVER AGAIN!

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frequently travel in group of 3 rigs. We agree on meal stops and final destination for that day. Otherwise we run on our own. When first rig gets close to a stop, they call the others to see how far behind. If someone stops for "ball of string" they will often opt out of a meal stop so that they can arrive at final stop for the day at about the same time. Works for us, do what works for you.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Traveling in a group— How do you handle it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.