RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Pick up truck remembrance !

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Pick up truck remembrance !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 01:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

My family did not have trucks or RV's. It wasn't until late '82 I got my first truck. Dad worked on his own vehicles not because he enjoyed it but because he could not afford a mechanic. I learned to wrench on bicycles and motorcycles because that was all I could afford until I had a full time job.
I would bet a lot of us would fall into that category. I've changed motors, transmissions along with other maintenance.

Last year I seen something I had not seen in many years some teenagers were changing a motor in a truck in a driveway. The last motor I changed was a Dodge truck I bought with a bad motor from work back in the eighties. Bought a used low mileage 318 from a wrecked truck. Then sold the truck.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

Vacuum wipers. Argh, who dreamed up those things? Climbing a ten mile grade at night in coast mountain rain, having to back off the gas every few seconds so the wipers would give a swipe and you could see where you were going for a few more seconds. Terrible things. The only thing good about them was the vacuum hoses were great for synchronizing the SU carbs on my Mini Coopers.

Yes, vacuum wipers left a lot to be desired. But think about what they replaced. If the windshield got wiped it was hand powered.
And with 6V generator that did not put out much at lower engine speeds electric wipers could of killed the engine.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And a $10 AM radio from the junkyard on the floor.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You old fogeys should remember the AM radios that had a vibrator tube built in , rectifier or something . If the radio would not start you would smack it on the bottom to make it go ! And my 50 model flathead , you had to change water hoses spring and/or fall to put water thru the cab heater !

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

You old fogeys should remember the AM radios that had a vibrator tube built in , rectifier or something . If the radio would not start you would smack it on the bottom to make it go ! And my 50 model flathead , you had to change water hoses spring and/or fall to put water thru the cab heater !
I never had to hit the bottom to get the old 6 volt AM radio to work in the 55 Dodge, just wait for the tubes to warm up.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About '83 I bought a '56 Olds from the 2nd owner. While we where dealing I spun the quarter pound knob to turn on the radio. "That don't work" A while later the music started. I'VE HAD THIS FOR 3 YEARS, DIDN'T KNOW IT WORKED

seaeagle2

seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 1980 I bought a 1964 F100. 292 V8, I had to cut a hole in the metal dash to install a stereo (radio wasn't a factory option). I converted the 3 on the tree to a Hurst floor shifter. Had the gas tank in the cab, manual choke, no power steering or power brakes. Floor bulb windshield washer.

2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 10:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, that old 71 F250 still only gets around 10 mpg, even with a new engine no matter what you are doing with it.. Running empty, towing, coasting down hill... I think the rear gear is 4.10 in the thing. Never has had a tach, so no idea what it's running, but it just screams rpms going 60 mph and basically maxes out at around 90.. I know, because that's all I got it up to when I was a teenager when I would take the truck out without dad in it! ha, ha!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Hedgehog

Fairhaven, Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first truck was a 1988 Toyota 4x4 pickup. They sticker was a hair over $11,000 and the only option it had was power steering which if I remember correctly was $300. No radio and a 22re four cylinder

MO_Trout_Bum

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't resist chiming in on this topic. First truck was 65 F100 long bed, overload springs, 6 cylinder, manual steering, manual brakes, manual choke, 4 speed granny low transmission with reverse over and up by 3rd gear, oil bath air cleaner. Pulled my buddy's van out of a ditch on a gravel road with it, and van was still in park, buddy but his head on the windshield. Bought for $375 and sold it a few years later for $350. What a beast! Still have dreams about driving it.

2004 Silverado 2500HD Ext, Duramax LLY, 4WD, 3.73
2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Pick up truck remembrance !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.