RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Phoenix to ALBQ to CO Springs to Leadville CO (at capacity)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Phoenix to ALBQ to CO Springs to Leadville CO (at capacity)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
TwitchSP101

Valley of the Sun

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello!
We live in the Valley of the Sun and have a trip coming up in May. We are trying to decide whether or not to drag the trailer with us. We have a 22ft TT at 6,000lbs loaded, 4,000lbs empty and a 2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 with tow package, WDH and sway bars. Payload and weights are good if the trailer is not at max capacity. We run around with the trailer mostly empty and have towed all around Arizona pretty comfortably up to Flag, Prescott, the Mogollon Rim, etc. I do get bossed around a bit in cross winds and as you might expect, my gas mileage is poor. We will be getting a new tow vehicle when my son turns 16 but until then we want to run the envoy.

Anyways I am looking for some comments as to if this is feasible or if I might be better off driving the van up and spending my gas money on lodging?
Not sure what the drive from CO Springs to Leadville is like. Have not been over 8,000ft with this rig. I have done the drive from Phx to CO springs many, many times without a trailer and am confident I can make that pull, but at a major fuel cost..

Our usual route is the beeline hwy 87 through payson, to heber to holbrook to 40 and then I-25 from Albq to CO Springs.

Thoughts?

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing wrong with your route, have driven it many times. Just keep in mind that for every 1,000' of elevation you will lose 3 percent of your available power due to the thinner air. At 8,000' you have 24 percent less power to get the job done.

Also, IMHO:If you get pushed around when towing in windy conditions you need more TV or less trailer. Whatever you decide, good luck.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

[emoticon]

Heisenberg

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Piece of Cake. No major passes. I25 ... US24 ... I cannot imagine an easier route that long in the Western Mountains.

2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

Nothing wrong with your route, have driven it many times. Just keep in mind that for every 1,000' of elevation you will lose 3 percent of your available power due to the thinner air. At 8,000' you have 24 percent less power to get the job done.

Also, IMHO:If you get pushed around when towing in windy conditions you need more TV or less trailer. Whatever you decide, good luck.

[emoticon]

...And keep in mind that Leadville is over 10000 ft in elevation, so that 24% less power becomes more like 30% less. Also in May, you can pretty much count on snow still being around at elevation. If you have an inclination to do some mountain exploring, good luck with that. Independence Pass and Cottonwood Pass, both over 12000 feet likely won't open until Memorial Day or beyond. Leadville will have snow on the ground, and if it's anything like last season, could be a goodly amount.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you need to go thru Colorado Springs?
I've gone thru Flagstaff, 160, 191 thru Moab, I-70 thru Grand Junction and on to Leadville. Don't recall any difficult areas.

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Dave5143

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raton Pass might be your only concern but since you've probably towed through Bumblebee on your way to Flagstaff you shouldn't have a problem.

Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

TwitchSP101

Valley of the Sun

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thom02099 wrote:

Desert Captain wrote:

[emoticon]

...And keep in mind that Leadville is over 10000 ft in elevation, so that 24% less power becomes more like 30% less. Also in May, you can pretty much count on snow still being around at elevation. If you have an inclination to do some mountain exploring, good luck with that. Independence Pass and Cottonwood Pass, both over 12000 feet likely won't open until Memorial Day or beyond. Leadville will have snow on the ground, and if it's anything like last season, could be a goodly amount.

Good advice, thanks. The elevation power loss is my concern but if 24 from the springs to Leadville is no steeper than the rest of the trip, I am not too worried. There is an HD diesel truck in my near future but this rig has served us well allowing my young family to explore Arizona. My wife and I both grew up in Colorado and know our way around a bit. We intend to wait for the new truck to tackle the bigger passes but thought the old envoy might be up for the job to Leadville.

TwitchSP101

Valley of the Sun

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileshuff wrote:

Do you need to go thru Colorado Springs?
I've gone thru Flagstaff, 160, 191 thru Moab, I-70 thru Grand Junction and on to Leadville. Don't recall any difficult areas.

@ mileshuff, yes we have to go through the springs this time. Dropping the kids at the Grandparents for a few days of activities before they join us in Leadville. Thanks for the recommendation, we will definitely be traveling that route in the future.

TwitchSP101

Valley of the Sun

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave5143 wrote:

Raton Pass might be your only concern but since you've probably towed through Bumblebee on your way to Flagstaff you shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks Dave, we have towed to flag a handful of times and do fine power-wise, despite being able to literally watch the fuel needle drop..

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put Raton Pass in the "easiest" pass category. I always tow over Raton on my way to anywhere in Colorado.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Phoenix to ALBQ to CO Springs to Leadville CO (at capacity)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.