RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Would You Camp at a Place Like This??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Would You Camp at a Place Like This??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco25E wrote:

PA12DRVR wrote:

No dog in the hunt (I don't RV anymore) but a couple of things jumped out at me:

- It seems like KOA is somehow the benchmark? Didn't used to be that way 10+ years ago when I was active;

- A nice shiny new park where one is 2' away from the next guy is not appealing but FWIW, I'd pay a fair amount of coin for a spot that was: a) newish; b) clean; c) not decaying; d) not jammed; and e) had good clean showers and washrooms.

I fly the ol PA-12 out every summer for some real boondocking, but when I used to RV, a nice spacious layout served with a clean shower setup was always worth a fair amount of money.

I am surprised no one ask what a PA-12 is. LOL I know as my dad taught me to fly in a PA-22. Happy flying!

Oh, it's a old Piper. I looked it up. I follow on You Tube several sport plane owners that like to fly out into the mountians, land, and put up a tent to go camping. They seem to like their Kitfox aircraft. The one guy is named Trent Palmer but, there are other ones on there too.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Way late to the party but yes, if something like this was available maybe, an hour or two from home, I'd use it for a weekend. It's nice to just get away from the house and people in general for a couple days. But as a destination spot for a vacation? Probably not.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Most, but not all, places are Rural Water systems now. It's like city water so there is no testing
If it's for public consumption the health dept. gets involved resulting in testing
You don't have to pay any salaries. (I don't know why you would)
I guess if you do everything yourself there are no salaries but now your working for free.
Who is going to take/monitor reservations?
Who is going to collect site fee?
Who is going to clean the sites?
and do it all for free!

Waste disposal in the midwest is a burn pit or take it to the local landfill. I take a pickup load of garbage that I can't burn or recycle to my local landfill and it's under 20 bucks a pickup load. (13 bucks actually
Once again it takes time to get it there. It takes gas in the truck. There is a fee at the dump. There are real cost associated with waste

Did I mention advertising, How are you going to attract campers to your sites? Will you have a website? Photos? Who will monitor the website and respond to inquiries?
Will you respond to public reviews? Will there be someone on site 24/7 as the acting manager in case of issues? Since there are no salaries this person will have to be a volunteer.
Or someone donating their free time.

OK, you very well could be right. I couldn't find the website I was thinking about.

It could be that you are thinking more like a traditional RV park and I am thinking more like an, Airbnb for campers.

More of the sort of place that for advertising you just stick a sign in the ground that the end of your driveway.

None of the local small county campgrounds I frequent ever have anyone around for monitoring and stuff like that. When you check in you just fill out a envelope and put your money in a slot. The grass and clean up is done by the same person who mows the grass at the courthouse.( And, those of us who camp there a lot help to take care of the place.) I realize that this is a different subject and not like what we were talking about. I just wanted to mention it because not all campgrounds, even public ones, have a person on hand taking care of them.

But, as I said you are probably right about small home home backyard places like I was thinking. I don't have one so I have no experience to go from.

Peace, and have a nice Day.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Most, but not all, places are Rural Water systems now. It's like city water so there is no testing
If it's for public consumption the health dept. gets involved resulting in testing
You don't have to pay any salaries. (I don't know why you would)
I guess if you do everything yourself there are no salaries but now your working for free.
Who is going to take/monitor reservations?
Who is going to collect site fee?
Who is going to clean the sites?
and do it all for free!

Waste disposal in the midwest is a burn pit or take it to the local landfill. I take a pickup load of garbage that I can't burn or recycle to my local landfill and it's under 20 bucks a pickup load. (13 bucks actually
Once again it takes time to get it there. It takes gas in the truck. There is a fee at the dump. There are real cost associated with waste

Did I mention advertising, How are you going to attract campers to your sites? Will you have a website? Photos? Who will monitor the website and respond to inquiries?
Will you respond to public reviews? Will there be someone on site 24/7 as the acting manager in case of issues? Since there are no salaries this person will have to be a volunteer.
Or someone donating their free time.

OK, you very well could be right. I couldn't find the website I was thinking about.

It could be that you are thinking more like a traditional RV park and I am thinking more like an, Airbnb for campers.

More of the sort of place that for advertising you just stick a sign in the ground that the end of your driveway.

None of the local small county campgrounds I frequent ever have anyone around for monitoring and stuff like that. When you check in you just fill out a envelope and put your money in a slot. The grass and clean up is done by the same person who mows the grass at the courthouse.( And, those of us who camp there a lot help to take care of the place.) I realize that this is a different subject and not like what we were talking about. I just wanted to mention it because not all campgrounds, even public ones, have a person on hand taking care of them.

But, as I said you are probably right about small home home backyard places like I was thinking. I don't have one so I have no experience to go from.

We recently camped at a private campground with hookups that was beautiful, quiet, out in the country, and with very few other campers there. There was no one in the office - just put your money in an envelope and drop it in the slot!! (The owners lived in a house right in the park.)

So .... THERE ARE special hookup camping places that exist - you just gotta find them. Of course if you open yourself up to boondocking - out West the sky's the limit on privacy, solitude, and beauty.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

Hipcamp ?

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did find this. But, they make their money not so much by letting you camp but, by selling you wine and fresh farm raised food while you are there.

https://harvesthosts.com/join-friends/?u........ReferralCandy&utm_campaign=ReferralCandy

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would prefer to have some RV neighbors around me. If I was the only RV in the area I would feel vulnerable to anyone with bad intentions. Admittedly, I've dry camped. in some wilderness areas and while there is some pleasure in doing so, the thought is always there that someone may just spoil it for you. maybe I'm being too careful, but that's just me.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/20 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

I would prefer to have some RV neighbors around me. If I was the only RV in the area I would feel vulnerable to anyone with bad intentions. Admittedly, I've dry camped. in some wilderness areas and while there is some pleasure in doing so, the thought is always there that someone may just spoil it for you. maybe I'm being too careful, but that's just me.

Your posts reminded me of some thoughts I've had related to what you say.

We have some friends that will sometimes park in kindof wilderness areas with us in their RV. This brings a lot of security for the both of us, However it's probably rare to find RV'ing friends who will do this sort of camping.

I wish there were RV'ing clubs that met and went together exclusively on boondocking type RV outings.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A quick google search found this : https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wilderness areas by definition have no roads. You cannot access them with a vehicle.

How urban do you have to be in your outlook to prefer having other RV neighbors around? I like no neighbors. That is when I feel the most safe. Headed to Death Valley. Boondocking with no RV, no Tent, no nothin.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Would You Camp at a Place Like This??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.