RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Best *mid priced* Kinetic Recovery Rope?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best *mid priced* Kinetic Recovery Rope?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigman1 wrote:

You get what you pay for. If you don't know how to pull out a stuck vehicle these "Kinetic Recovery Ropes" are a way to cover up any number of stupid mistakes...Maybe. Take a look at "Highway to Hell" on the Weather Channel and tell us how many kinetic rope recoveries you see. ZERO!! These guys are the professionals and know what they're doing.

Well Matt of Winder Towing in Utah is regarded by many to be one of the best recovery guys around... he is a pro who is doing this every day.

Watch a few of his video's and you'll see why.
He is as old school as it gets - taught by his dad I believe.

He was initially very, very skeptical of Kinetic Recovery ropes.

He now owns four Yankums, and uses them a TON. (as seen in his videos)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwdVOry0oNF9WIe_3uCfz9Q

So i disagree with your opinion above.

:-)

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Quote:

Take a look at "Highway to Hell" on the Weather Channel and tell us how many kinetic rope recoveries you see. ZERO!

One of my favorite shows and the 2WD wreckers are awesome LOL...And I agree with your thoughts..To many readers and not that many doer's..This hurts(laughing) I agree with Brad..LOL

Highway Thru Hell (featuring the Jamie Davis Heavy Rescue) started in 2012 and I’m guessing that Kinetic Recovery Ropes were not widely available back then, especially in Canada…. as Canada sometimes has slower and less access to new products.

Also - judging from their website - the Jamie Davis Heavy Rescue company is primarily a TOWING company - and for towing I can see how a conventional tow strap would often be preferable.

https://www.jamiedavistowing.com/pages/roadside-assistance-services

I am not looking to tow… I am looking for RECOVERY - a whole different thing.

This article has more info.

https://www.roundforge.com/articles/why-you-dont-want-tow-strap-hooks/

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LA

Sound like your minds made up..Cool..

I tow/snatch like 50 times a year, occasionally pulling out friends or family from the ditch in snowy conditions but mostly pulling downed tree's up to or down to the road..Those kinetic ropes would just not work for the way I need it done,there way to dangerous..

I have been towed probably atleast 100 times in my old work but never with one of those..Always via chain or cable pulled out by Rubber tired skidders and D-7 Cats...

Call me old fashioned but I would never own a kenetic rope having seen some terrible after effects of people getting towed out..Dang,it can be really dangerous if you don't know what your doing regardless of which method you use but those kinetic ropes look like a disaster waiting to happen..Infact,one video I just watched talked about a guy that was still in the hospital from the kinetic rope sling shot back into his truck..

Chains and cables here, especially with the TC loaded up..My advice if your going to get one,get the very best you can afford..Not really a thing to scrimp on..

Good luck in choosing..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really does depend on your recovery style and method: If you can get enough traction and just pull someone out, a strap or chain work well. If you need momentum to get someone loose and moving, an elastic rope is better and safer.

I have seen a 4000 lb truck recover an 8000 lb truck using a kinetic rope, so I know they work well if you're willing to take a running start. I worry to much about damaged frames and broken power train mounts to be that aggressive. If I cannot recover with a straight pull, it's time to anchor the wheels and pull out the winch and pulley blocks.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LA is a very particular person and he wants a kinetic rope d@mmit!
Stop providing other good options.....
(Btw, that article was about hooks on straps. A nylon sling is the least likely piece of typical tow hardware to injure anyone in the process. But others are safe too if you know what you’re doing.)
But there’s a difference between thinking you know what you’re doing and having your mind made up even though your largely uninformed about the subject and actually knowing what you’re doing.

One of the perks of being in construction is having a pretty much endless supply of , not legal for hoisting any longer, rigging that can be used for recovery or towing.
3” nylon slings FTW!!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LosAngeles wrote:

This article has more info.

https://www.roundforge.com/articles/why-you-dont-want-tow-strap-hooks/

Add me to voices for chains and stiff straps instead of slingshots.
The article you read is brainwashing.
When they post good facts about hooks for towing, they make it sounds like it is strap fault. [emoticon]
Hook on end of chain will never shoot.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Add me to voices for chains and stiff straps instead of slingshots.
The article you read is brainwashing.
When they post good facts about hooks for towing, they make it sounds like it is strap fault. [emoticon]
Hook on end of chain will never shoot.

Nothing wrong with a kinetic strap, but it's not inherently safer, nor more dangerous. The danger is in how the tool is used and what safeguards are in place or how much common sense is applied.

Not sure what you mean by hook on end of chain will never shoot. Maybe you meant you wont break an actual rated clevis grab hook, which I'd agree. I've only bent them and that is rare. However a tow chain coming off or breaking under tension will absolutely "shoot." Between chains, cables and straps, chains are more dangerous. You can't physically see when a chain is about to break as the deformation is very small before it breaks and if one doesn't put a damper over the chain (jacket, or anything to deaden the reaction), it will fly alot better than a strap when it breaks! A strap or cable particularly will show some visual clues before coming apart totally, typically.
This is the reason chains aren't allowed in some hoisting scenarios by regulatory agencies, due to the difficulty of proper inspection and lack of indications of wear and failure.

The one thing that guy's article was correct about is most auto parts store/Wallyworld tow/recovery straps are not very heavy duty. Have a few of those too at home, because sometimes our Equipment Managers equip the new pickups with "emergency gear" and they throw in one of them little dime store tow straps with the hooks. I can't leave it in my truck, lest some laborer use it to try to pull something and then I get a lost time incident out of the deal...
I got one on the 4 wheeler for pulling fence wire and if the little wheeler gets stuck and one in my wife's winter rig because it likely won't be needed, but it actually fits in the little storage compartment and I could make it work in some situations.

LA, in that article, they advertised some pretty reasonably priced real recovery straps. What are you looking for if those are not suitable, considering you posted the article and the question?

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There’s a lot of opinions offered from people with no experience in off road recovery. There’s a time for methods with little stretch, and then there’s a time and place for snatching. Which is not hard on equipment at all when done properly.

I get my kinetic ropes at the marine hardware store. Nylon rope in the appropriate diameter works well without the boutique price.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

There’s a lot of opinions offered from people with no experience in off road recovery

I just call it getting pulled out and I have been there more than most...

If it ain't broke..don't fix it..Opinions vary and why people ask questions, for different opinions from those that have done it many times.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LA..Look into some traction mats/boards which are really helpful with no help needed to get unstuck,then throw in a 30,000 lb Smittybuilt 30ft recovery strap,and your set,and under $100 for both..

I think you will find those traction boards will get you out of most places if it isn't to bad..10K total weight is helpful for some stuff and bad for others...

Oh,and a good shovel..LOL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best *mid priced* Kinetic Recovery Rope?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.