RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Best weight distribution hitch?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Best weight distribution hitch?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With enough truck to properly haul your TT around, particularly at highway speeds, any of the WD hitches with integrated sway control should suffice. Those with less than ideal towing combos, whether it is due to not enough truck or poorly designed trailers, usually resort to Hensley or Propride hitches to achieve a sense of towing comfort while underway.

On the other hand, just because you have more than enough truck does not indicate you can forego a WD/SC hitch altogether, seen too many 350/3500 trucks crawling along the highway and still see their 30' TTs excessively swaying although they are towing well below posted speed limit. Properly set-up, TTs can be towed without noticeable sway, even when passing semi-trucks.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed with the EZ-Lift for about 9 years and it worked OK. It's the original weight distributing hitch introduced around 1957 which many have copied and many make a knock off of it, even Harbor Freight. It works but it's old technology with its add-on friction sway control.

IMO the most popular upgrades (in no particular order) are the Equal-I-Zer with 4 pt sway control, the Reese Dual Cam (I think they call it something else now) and the Blue Ox Pro. A buddy has the Blue Ox and really likes it.
The Reese Dual Cam has a big following.

Most of these are in the $500-$600 range as I recall. Any of those 3 should serve you well.

As mentioned, the Hensley Arrow and the Pro Ride are truly the gold standard but north of 2 grand new. They're fantastic but I can count on one hand the number I've seen in 16 years of towing a trailer. I've seen them available used from $600 to $1400.

* This post was edited 02/07/20 03:09pm by Ron3rd *

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had 4 different trailers in the last 15 yrs and apon selling them, yanked my old trusty Reese DC off everyone and reinstalled at dealers lot.....heavy but very robust and effective.

I do hear good things about the Equalizer but have no experience.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Andersen works very well for those of us who do not use it make up for a less than capable tow vehicle. If you have 1,000 of payload available and 1,200 pounds of tongue weight, look for something else. On the other hand, if you have 1,800 pounds of payload available and 800 pounds of tongue weight, you will love the clean, lightweight, quiet, easily adjustable Andersen.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You asked for the best....Hensley or Propride hands down. Nothing else compares. Before that I used an Equil-I-zer. It did a good job too but it’s no Hensley.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandia Man wrote:

With enough truck to properly haul your TT around, particularly at highway speeds, any of the WD hitches with integrated sway control should suffice. Those with less than ideal towing combos, whether it is due to not enough truck or poorly designed trailers, usually resort to Hensley or Propride hitches to achieve a sense of towing comfort while underway.

On the other hand, just because you have more than enough truck does not indicate you can forego a WD/SC hitch altogether, seen too many 350/3500 trucks crawling along the highway and still see their 30' TTs excessively swaying although they are towing well below posted speed limit. Properly set-up, TTs can be towed without noticeable sway, even when passing semi-trucks.

Yep. If a person needs a super hitch to tow with. they have more problems than sway control can fix

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't remember what make, but I got ours from etrailer. And been happy with it.

Dusty

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dusty R wrote:

I don't remember what make, but I got ours from etrailer. And been happy with it.

Dusty

Yep, that's one of the better ones.[emoticon]

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been really happy with my Blue Ox Sway Pro. Quiet, easy to set up.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2 wrote:

The Andersen works very well for those of us who do not use it make up for a less than capable tow vehicle. If you have 1,000 of payload available and 1,200 pounds of tongue weight, look for something else. On the other hand, if you have 1,800 pounds of payload available and 800 pounds of tongue weight, you will love the clean, lightweight, quiet, easily adjustable Andersen.

I'll second this ^^^^
I've been using the Andersen for the last 6+ years and it has been excellent. As stated, if your tongue weight is within the limits for your tow vehicle, this is an excellent option.

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Best weight distribution hitch?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.