RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Truck Camper with Built in Genset?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper with Built in Genset?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

If they would fit a generator and large propane tanks will severely your storage. I’d go with a Micro Air and one 2000 generator.

Huh? Another unfounded opinion. Doesn't the 2000 take up about the same space, somewhere, too? Just sayin...

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So like most things, everything is a compromise in one way or another.

The noise and propane consumption of a built in vs the convenience of the same.
The versatility and gas sipping of a tag a long generator vs having to "deal" with it.
Can see advantages and disadvantages of both. Only way to have your cake and eat it too is to do like Devocamper and have an array of power sources at your fingertips.

But to answer the OP's question, many TC's come with built in generators.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone's need for a genset is different, much of that probably determined by location. In the South, a genset for running the AC is important. The Pacific North West the AC isn't as critical so a genset is less important.

This idea is based on the idea that you live in an area where the AC is not critical and only occasionally used (perhaps while getting lunch during a rest stop).

If I was in the market for a new camper and I had to decide if I wanted to tick the generator box on the Purchase Order for a ~$3k fee, here would be my thoughts... What could I do differently for that amount of money and get something better?

My first idea would be to go with a super efficient AC unit with soft-start. Get two 100AH LiFePO4 batteries, 400w of solar and a good inverter capable of running the AC for ~30 minutes on battery power. Then my next move would be to look for an oversized alternator for the truck and rewiring the umbilical (or adding an additional one) with a DC to DC charger capable of moving enough juice to charge the batteries from 50% to full in an hour.

Get a remote start for the truck and now you have what I think is the ideal setup for the pacific Northwest. You can run the AC for a half hour without any genset while grabbing some lunch. You can run the coffee maker in the morning on battery power (for those that prefer their electric one) and you have plenty of power for typical small draw items during the day. Presumably if you really had to, you could run the AC longer with the truck idling. All of this without the need for a heavy, noisey generator that sucks propane.

Now, the naysayers I'm sure will complain about idling your truck for long periods of time. As I said at the beginning of my post, different locations have different needs. If you have to run your AC 8 hours a day for your camping experience, obviously you don't want to idle your truck for 8 hours a day for days on end. But in areas where AC is seldom used, I think this would be the way to go if you could overcome the technical challenges to implement it.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To be honest,I wish my TC had a built in gen..My previous Class C had one and it was convenient at times, especial for the AC to cool things down..

One reason I like Adventurer truck campers,most sizes have a gen set option..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our AF1140 has a built-in Onan QG 2500 LP genset. It was loud and obnoxious in factory trim, so I purchased sound deadening material, vibration dampening mats, and a tractor muffler, and redid the installation to my standards. It's notably quieter and shakes the camper far less now. With the mods, it sounds more like the QG 5500 LP in our fifth wheel.

I abhor generators and try to run off solar/battery as much as possible, but like onboard generators because I can tie them into my Victron GX devices for automatic operation based on a variety of parameters. I want to be able to leave for the day and know that if for some reason our batteries don't make it the entire time we're gone, the generator will kick on and charge them. Especially when running air conditioning for the dogs (note: we do have environmental monitoring that sends SMS alerts of power failures, temperature anomalies, etc for our pet's safety).

2019 Ram 3500 HO/AISIN CCLB DRW Longhorn
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

woodworker414

Crystal City,Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devocamper, curious, what does you camper weigh, loaded?
I have '14 Chevy 3500HD,dually, CC, 4X4, 8' bed, DuraMax
I thought that camper was to heavy for my truck.

Bill
WØWJU
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
2015 Thor Motorcoach Chateau 31W
Toad: 2008 Chevy HHR

Boondocking2019

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2020 Adventurer 89RBS has the built in 2500 Onan and we primarily Boondock for UTV backcountry exploring up to 5 days. Carry extra 2 Propane Tanks in the Cargo Trailer don’t worry about running out. There’s pro and con as previously written and we knew going into this Adventurer TC that the Generator was a must have for our Travels.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper with Built in Genset?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.