RV.Net Open Roads Forum: wiring a 30 Amp Power Outlet 30A Circuit Breaker {{UPDATE}}

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> wiring a 30 Amp Power Outlet 30A Circuit Breaker {{UPDATE}}

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Flute Man

Payson, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have to ask you might want to get some help. Do you have any electrician friends?Since there is already a breaker in the circuit why don’t you just put in a switch?

Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Odds are the breaker is already wired to the outlet when you buy it

White wire goes to sliver-ish screw if not silverish bus bar then the outlet

Black wire to breaker, black jumper to copper screw on outlet

Green or bare goes to green or ground screw.

Depending on the size of the feed line (if bigger than 10 ga, say 8ga) you might want to UPgrade the garage breaker one size so it will not trip. or not. your choice. or put in a "slow to trip" breaker in the garage

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As many already said, the breaker will be prewired. Just order the box, connect with easy instructions, you won't have a problem. Box in hand...still a question??? Post a pic on here, ask the question.

Jerry

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seem like a lot of shade tree electricians here. I am also not an electrician but when running an outdoor box like that is 100’ away from the panel may require a breaker at the outlet. Code may also require not only a ground from the panel, but a local ground rod. If the box is mounted on a post you will need to have the wire up the post inside conduit with a water tight connection. As to the connections inside the box, they should be all to pugs as breakers always plug on to a Buss bar.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azrving wrote:

There are pictures of the wiring in the Amazon reviews. Your existing pvc/wire will enter the bottom of the box. Black goes to the breaker then it goes to the plug. White goes to the neutral lug and then to the plug. Green goes to the ground lug of the box then to the plug.

Right now your black wire is going to the plug. Your wire is going to the plug and your green ground is going to the plug and to the box itself. The only thing different in the new box is that the black wire will be going to the breaker then on to the plug.

Don’t count on all of the reviews as being accurate and some are dangerous. One guy suggested saving money on wire by not running a ground to the box and driving a ground rod for grounding. This is very dangerous advice.

Again, right now your wiring should be black from your existing breaker to your plug. White from your panels neutral lugs and ground from the ground lug bar. Your service panel where everything starts should be bonded which means that the neutral and ground are connected together. If you were to run any 240 volt “sub” panels off your main service they would NOT be bonded so they would run four wires. You are simply running a 120 volt circuit out to your rv, its not a sub panel. Its no different than any other wall plug in your house other than it’s heavier gauge and you are now going to be able to interrupt the black wire.

Just checked again and now I see the picture in one of the reviews. as u said it looks all prewired which is good. when I get it hopefully should be pretty self explanatory (I hope, lol) and as you said... as suggested if I have any questions I will post a picture and ask..
As suggested in another post a couple weeks ago I did buy the progressive ind. protector so if any problem I would think that would trip even before the breaker or not even allow electric through and give me a code. And AZRVING, I also am from AZ pretty much not to far from you in BHC.....
Thanks again to all of you and as usual I came to the right place to get the answers.. If any other questions will post and give ya'll a follow up once the job is complete.
THANKS AGAIN AND ALL STAY SAFE...

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

go to Hone depot or lowes.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

Click on 30 amp service.

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the garage being 100 feet away you should be using wire greater than the normal 10 gauge for 30 amps. The wire will probably be in conduit so go to a 8 or 6 gauge wire run from the garage.

This is not considering the length of wire from your new box to the RV.
Voltage drop
100 feet, 10 AGW wire at 20 amp load is 4.1 volts
100 feet, 10 AGW wire at 30 amp load is 6.1 volts
100 feet, 8 AGW wire at 20 amp load is 2.6 volts
100 feet, 6 AGW wire at 20 amp load is 1.6 volts

Use a local ground pole.

wiring it up, select 30 amp service on the left. http://www.myrv.us/electric/

* This post was last edited 02/09/20 04:12pm by garym114 *   View edit history

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really doesn't hurt anything to just plug in your RV without switching off any breakers. If there is already a 30 amp outlet on the side of your house, I wouldn't do a thing other than use it. If it bothers you to plug and unplug your rig with the circuit live because you think you will somehow damage something in the RV, just switch off the main breaker in your RV before you plug or unplug, exactly the same as flipping off the an outside breaker. That way you don't have to buy anything or wire anything up.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flute Man wrote:

If you have to ask you might want to get some help. Do you have any electrician friends?Since there is already a breaker in the circuit why don’t you just put in a switch?

IF you get HELP, make sure everyone understands this is to be 110 volt rv plug. Many a so called electrician has wired these 240v which is bad juju

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> wiring a 30 Amp Power Outlet 30A Circuit Breaker {{UPDATE}}
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.