RV.Net Open Roads Forum: wiring a 30 Amp Power Outlet 30A Circuit Breaker {{UPDATE}}

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> wiring a 30 Amp Power Outlet 30A Circuit Breaker {{UPDATE}}

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tarnold wrote:

joelyn wrote:

tarnold wrote:

Just to note, that link is for a refurnished unit.

which one is that???

Your very first post, scroll down to “product description “....”this refurbished product was tested...

I checked again and don't see where it says refurbished... Is that what TESTED means when u buy electrical items, that they are used???? does it matter if it is or should I avoid this type??? thanks

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joelyn wrote:

I JUST RECEIVED MY PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES PROTECTOR THIS WEEK AND IN THE INSTRUCTIONS it says disconnect power, plug unit into the pedestal and reapply power. Wait for the unit to do its check of the electric connections. Once done disconnect power again and than plug in the RV to the unit and than reapply power and wait until u here a click which than sends power to the RV..
That is kind of why I want to install the breaker in the box to avoid walking back and forth to the garage to throw the breaker in there. Feet don't work that good like they use to, LOL...
Thanks to all again for the help and advice...
A bit of overkill. Plug in the PI, connect your cord, make your way inside and turn on the air. Ok maybe connect the cord and PI first if you have trouble beating the delay.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

tarnold

georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joelyn wrote:

tarnold wrote:

joelyn wrote:

tarnold wrote:

which one is that???

Your very first post, scroll down to “product description “....”this refurbished product was tested...

I checked again and don't see where it says refurbished... Is that what TESTED means when u buy electrical items, that they are used???? does it matter if it is or should I avoid this type??? thanks

Sorry, where it says “product features”. To me, it means it was sold and returned for what ever reason. Probably nothing wrong with it, but to me it would have to be greatly discounted.

babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

It really doesn't hurt anything to just plug in your RV without switching off any breakers. If there is already a 30 amp outlet on the side of your house, I wouldn't do a thing other than use it. If it bothers you to plug and unplug your rig with the circuit live because you think you will somehow damage something in the RV, just switch off the main breaker in your RV before you plug or unplug, exactly the same as flipping off the an outside breaker. That way you don't have to buy anything or wire anything up.
Exactly. And with mine, since I have an EMS, you will never plug it in live unless the EMS is in bypass mode. Just make sure everything is off when you unplug. Not a big deal.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 01:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tarnold wrote:

joelyn wrote:

tarnold wrote:

joelyn wrote:

tarnold wrote:

which one is that???

Sorry, where it says “product features”. To me, it means it was sold and returned for what ever reason. Probably nothing wrong with it, but to me it would have to be greatly discounted.

Actually just below the buy now button it says:

About this item
This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box

Further down the page right above the pictures of other items it says:

Description
Temporary RV power outlet is factory-assembled and factory-tested. Ready to use with no need to assemble individual parts. Single, heavy-gauge welded flange NEMA 3R rainproof enclosure protects against weather, vandalism and nuisance tripping. It is lockable and is engineered for maximum protection of receptacles, cords, plugs and breakers. All-in-one construction for factory assured terminations. Rolled edge door for cord protection. Manufactured from heavy G-90 zinc coated steel which resists corrosion and fading. Complies with National Electrical Code and OSHA requirements. 5.5" height x 7.5" width x 9.75" depth, 6.525 lb.

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 04:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's what appears to be the same box at Home Depot. No mention of being refurbished:

30 amp RV power outlet $58.48

[image]

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom_M wrote:

Here's what appears to be the same box at Home Depot. No mention of being refurbished:

[image]

Thank u Tom, I called home depot and lowes and both told me that they did not have this type of box only the one with just the 30 amp plug but no breaker... just checked on line and they have it in stock so ordered it and its 5 bucks cheaper for a new one..
THANKS FOR UR SHARING..ORDERING ON LINE AND THE PRICE WAS ONLY 49.00

joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobeewan wrote:

tarnold wrote:

joelyn wrote:

tarnold wrote:

joelyn wrote:

tarnold wrote:

which one is that???

Actually just below the buy now button it says:

About this item
This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box

Further down the page right above the pictures of other items it says:

Description
Temporary RV power outlet is factory-assembled and factory-tested. Ready to use with no need to assemble individual parts. Single, heavy-gauge welded flange NEMA 3R rainproof enclosure protects against weather, vandalism and nuisance tripping. It is lockable and is engineered for maximum protection of receptacles, cords, plugs and breakers. All-in-one construction for factory assured terminations. Rolled edge door for cord protection. Manufactured from heavy G-90 zinc coated steel which resists corrosion and fading. Complies with National Electrical Code and OSHA requirements. 5.5" height x 7.5" width x 9.75" depth, 6.525 lb.

THANKS, don't know how I missed that, gezzzz. ty..

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom_M wrote:

[image]

Is this same box or similar come in a 50A version?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK received the box today and as ya'll said it seems pretty straight forward. Just one question about the ground wire, green... as seen in the attached picture there are 2 place to put the green wire.. not sure if it matters, but do I put the green ground wire into the silver lug attached to the box or do I put it to the screw where the box ground wire is now attached???? black goes to black and white to white as i have outlined in the picture...... just asking about where to attach the ground. thanks to all again for the help

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> wiring a 30 Amp Power Outlet 30A Circuit Breaker {{UPDATE}}
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.