|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Compact Class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

Phoenix Cruiser

Yes, that’s an example of exactly what I’m looking for. I’ll look into these.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

The Jayco Redhawk may fit the bill,and as a plus it comes on a Chevy Chassis

That’s a last resort. Not looking for the boxy ones, but more of the compact streamlined ones. I want to be able to head out cross country and be able to get into parking lots and tourist attractions and navigate easily around town.

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

Many Sprinter mohos can tow 5,000 lbs.

They have 5000 pound hitches but if you do the math on the GCVWR the ones I’ve looked at are good for 3500 pounds. They can’t even tow a Wrangler and stay under the limit. Now I’ve seen people towing the Wrangler with them, but my first choice is staying with the vehicle rating limits.

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:

Here’s what I’m looking for. I know they exist because I’ve seen them, but I can’t seem to find any manufacturer making them new. And I’d like a new one.

I’ve got a 15 year old Class A DP that I’ve had since new. Yeah it’s got plenty of space and is great when parked, but we don’t stay in one place a long time. What I’m looking for is a compact Class C motorhome similar to the ones you see on the Sprinter chassis, but not on the Sprinter Chassis. I want the capability of going on long cross country trips without a toad but I also want to be able to go on local trips and bring the Ford Ranger toad. The Sprinter Chassis just doesn’t have enough towing capacity that I feel comfortable towing the Ranger with it.

So what I’m looking for is a Class C Compact, on a Ford F-450 or similar chassis with the V-10 gas engine (or GM equivalent. I want something in the 24 to 26 foot range with the narrow body. And I’ve seen them on the road, but I can’t find anybody making a new one. Seems like everything is on a Sprinter chassis or one of the Transit van chassis and they have the small chassis and only a few thousand pound towing capacity. Anybody have any idea which manufacture is making these new?

If you can work out the money part, based on the Ford E450 chassis here's what you want (but note that it's not a "true Class C" because it doesn't have an overhead cab bed):
https://www.coachhouserv.com/models/platinum/

Yes, that’s a good choice too. I’ll look into these.

Skid Row Joe

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're not going to find any Compact Cs, on the 2020 E450 Superduty chassis. Were you to find one, it'd be above the $130K price point new. A specialty off road type C.

* This post was edited 02/10/20 01:48pm by Skid Row Joe *

Skid Row Joe

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:

Here’s what I’m looking for. I know they exist because I’ve seen them, but I can’t seem to find any manufacturer making them new.

The Sprinter Chassis just doesn’t have enough towing capacity that I feel comfortable towing the Ranger with it.

"The Sprinter Chassis just doesn’t have enough towing capacity that I feel comfortable towing the Ranger with it."
WTF? How heavy is the Ranger? If it's too heavy, get a Wrangler.
I don't think he's done his homework. At #5,000 capacity, the 3500 Sprinter chassis easily can tow a smallish pickup.

FunTwoDrv

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ It appears the OP's concern is with the MB GCWR and not the hitch capacity.

Gary

* This post was edited 02/10/20 01:25pm by FunTwoDrv *

Skid Row Joe

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FunTwoDrv wrote:

^ It appears the OP's concern is with the MB GCWR and not the hitch capacity.

Gary
But that's juxt opposed to the OP's requirements for a small Class C. So, that's not it. The 3500 Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis doesn't come any smaller than 3500 for a Class C cutaway. Sounds like he wants a Class B van. However, there's not one small E450 in a Class B. He's describing an E150, or E250, which again, is the basic van he's wanting.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/20 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skid Row Joe wrote:

You're not going to find any Compact Cs, on the 2020 E450 Superduty chassis. Were you to find one, it'd be above the $130K price point new. A specialty off road type C.

I guess I don't quite understand what you mean above.

This Coach House Platinum 220 is a 23 foot pretty compact Class C (well maybe it's a Class C - there's no overhead cab bed area) ... and from everything I read on their website they only build this model line of theirs on the E450 Super Duty chassis. So wouldn't a 2020 Ford E450 Super Duty chassis be used under this RV if you ordered one this year?

https://www.coachhouserv.com/models/platinum/platinum-220/#dimensions

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 11:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

This Coach House Platinum 220 is a 23 foot pretty compact Class C (well maybe it's a Class C - there's no overhead cab bed area) ... and from everything I read on their website they only build this model line of theirs on the E450 Super Duty chassis.

If it's built on a cutaway chassis or a chassis cab, it's a Class C by definition. Whether there's any overcab bunk or entertainment center area is immaterial, although it is true that most people associate those features with class C motorhomes and the majority do have them.

What are marketed as "Class B+" motorhomes are Class C's per the standard definitions. Class B+ is a marketing term, not an official designation, and as such means whatever the marketers want it to mean; usually a relatively small, comparatively expensive class C with no overcab bunk.

(For completeness, "Class A" motorhomes are built on a custom/bare chassis, or bus/motorcoach chassis. "Class B" motorhomes are van conversions: a van body, maybe with a raised roof, with the RV stuck inside.)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Compact Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.