RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Travel Trailer Roof leaks / repair questions

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Travel Trailer Roof leaks / repair questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Hammerdown3512

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello. I need to travel trailer ownership and I just bought a 2015 Recreation by Design Royal 40'non park model with 2 slides.

I have a couple of questions.

I have a leak that I'm pretty sure is where part of the roof meets the sidewall I've been told this is a common area for leaks.

I've been looking at the products to coat roofs with. the dicor specifically, the tape, caulk and roof sealant.

Is this what I should be using for a metal roof?

Am I going about this the right way of sealing the roof entirely to see if that fixes the leak or is there other methods? I figure if I type up all the corners role good and still the entire roof and redo all the dicor around vents what not, ill most likey cure the leak.

Thoughts?

Thank you very much in advance. I'm fresh out of a divorce and I'm gonna have to live in this trailer for a year or 2 woth my kids so ive got to fix this right.

* This post was edited 02/09/20 10:50am by Hammerdown3512 *

Hammerdown3512

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are pictures of my roof where I think it's leaking. Seam near right side of slide out. On the inside picture you can see the damage to the panel. Should I coat this entire roof after taking up all the seams and dicor sealing around all vents, etc? Or should i just seal the seams and forgo coating the roof?

[image]

[image]

* This post was last edited 02/09/20 06:31pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

USAFBILL

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it was my trailer I would want to pressure test the whole roof. Usually a $100.00 project at the dealer but perhaps a mobile Technician could perform this test for you. Good Luck

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If that's a metal roof I'm seeing , would be much more efficient to use flex seal and brush it on....it's self leveling.

Do something ASAP.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pics are too big (s/b 480x640max) and those of us who are not PB members just see a distorted blob.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Hammerdown3512

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

If that's a metal roof I'm seeing , would be much more efficient to use flex seal and brush it on....it's self leveling.

Do something ASAP.

I ordered several rolls a 4" dicor seal tape and 3 gallons of dicor metal roof sealant. I have the area covered up with a tarp right now so that it can't leak anymore. As soon as the weather is conducive I'm going to tape up all the joints a put 2 coats across the whole roof

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you clean the tape contact surfaces really well with whatever cleaner Dicor recommends for their tape. I'm assuming the Dicor tape is like Eternabond tape. So I would make sure you press down really hard on the tape with a roller of some kind to activate the adhesive.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would take the approach you’re thinking about and also investigate the spray on coatings. They probably go on with an airless that you can rent almost anywhere for a 100 or less.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Travel Trailer Roof leaks / repair questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.