|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> black tank chemicals

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the things I liked about happy camper is that it has no fragrance. It gets rid of the sewage odor without adding a perfume odor.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Road Dog

Waukesha,WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto on Happy Camper! Been using it for years. No odors and it turns everything to liquid. Great product. Try it!

S1njin

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Aqua-Kem in the little disposable bottles. Ive tried HC and the Porta-Paks but i prefer Aqua-Kem.

2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish my chems were fragrance free but I bought three gallons of stuff at garage sale for about $2 so I'm almost set for life!

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Lots of water, fill before you dump, dump often and add four or so gallons after dumping. No chemicals needed.

ZACTLY!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I quit using chemicals in my holding tank about 4 years ago. I get no odors inside the camper. When flushing, the flapper is only open for a few seconds, and a deluge of water is going down the hole, so very little gas can escape from the holding tank. Most of it probably goes up the vent stack, as it should.

I also never clean my holding tank in any way. I simply fill the holding tank to maximum with water at the end of my trip, so that when I open the waste gate I get a "mega flush" pushing all the contents down the poop pipe.

As far as the smell when dumping, unless you are spilling sewage when dumping there should be no smells. The dump station at my storage lot has 2 dump entries - one a threaded PVC cleanout which I use with my threaded adapter, but there is also a traditional "flapper" hole in a cement bowl for people who only have a "elbow in the hole" type of dump.

If you are using the old "elbow in the hole" type of dump then you might have some smells escape. But I always use my threaded adapter so there is no leakage when I dump. Sometimes you get a whiff of gas coming out the "flapper" hole while I'm dumping down the clean-out hole, but oh well. You'll never smell it more than 5 feet away and in 10 years of RVing I've never once had anyone waiting behind me while I dump anyway.

It's cheaper not to use any chemicals, and it's better for the environment.

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

opnyn8d

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/20 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used Blue Streak for years. It costs a bit upfront, but is worth it. It dispenses a bit of chemical with every flush. That eliminates the guessing about how much to add based on how long you will be camping, eliminates forgetting, eliminates the mess. Since some stays in the bowl, it helps keep things clean and the seal good. There is a faint baby powder scent, but not strong. I will be installing one in my new RV we just bought. Look into it, especially those of you who use the rig a lot.

2008 Itasca Sunrise 32H, modified
Honda CRV toad
Ready Brute towbar

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 04:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S1njin wrote:

I use Aqua-Kem in the little disposable bottles. Ive tried HC and the Porta-Paks but i prefer Aqua-Kem.

X2 never had a problem. Put the remnants of the empty bottle mixed with water in the grey tank which works also

Proud father of a US Marine

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gee all you folks throwing money down the drain,, LITERALLY THROWING MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN.

I use water

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more time, if you are getting smells in your RV, there is a leak in your venting system. The odor is mostly Hydrogen Sulfide. The leak can be found by filling the system with water or a plumbing smoke test.

In plumbing a smoke test forces non-toxic, artificially created smoke through waste and drain pipes under a slight pressure to find leaks. ... Plumbing smoke tests are also used to find places where pipes will spill fluid, and to check sanitary sewer systems for places where ground water and storm runoff can enter.

Prolonged exposure to Low or Moderate levels of Hydrogen Sulfide may result in the following: Skin irritation, shortness of breath, irritability, poor balance, poor memory, confusion, eye irritation, sore throat and cough, dizziness, headaches, fatigue, nasal and lung congestion, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> black tank chemicals
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.