|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Chucking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
thetechie01

Olympia, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/20 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LanceRKeys wrote:

Thanks, the video was good. Maybe I don’t feel it because I use an Andersen Ultimate hitch

Yep! One of the great things about the Andersen. Way better than the old Pull-rite auto slider I had before, always felt like the truck and trailer were coming apart!

Greatest bunkhouse I've ever seen! Elkridge 38RSRT, 2012 F-350

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/20 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LanceRKeys wrote:

Could someone explain what chucking is? I have pulled a fifth wheel for thousands of miles and either I have had chucking and didn’t notice or I didn’t have it.

Chucking is the fore/aft forces generated by a fifth wheel and applied to the frame of the truck. Due to their high hitch design, all fifth wheel trailers generate some chucking forces; some more than others, some way more than others. If your head is bouncing off the head rest and your wife tells you to sell the trailer, you have a severe chucking problem. Could be you have smooth roads where you live and the forces are so minimal as not to notice. If so, you are fortunate and are good to go.

The Lippert video demonstrating the cause of chucking is ridiculous. Based on their theory, travel trailers would generate chucking forces equal to fifth wheels. They don't.

Lightning55

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LanceRKeys wrote:

Thanks, the video was good. Maybe I don’t feel it because I use an Andersen Ultimate hitch

I also use an AUH but it still chucks badly, so I don't think this hitch solves any chucking problems. There are volumes of posts and articles about chucking and everyone has an opinion about remedies. Many have spent serious money trying to eliminate it yet can not narrow it down to one single solution. I think it is a natural relationship with the TV and the FW with a lot of different things that can influence the event. Weight, pin weight, FW height, weight distribution, hitch location, FW suspension, TV design, road conditions, etc, etc. I found the best and least expensive solution was to install a $400 MorRyde pinbox. It does not correct the chucking but simply dampens and absorbs the jerking motion enough that you can live with it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Chucking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.