|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Class A, gas or diesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had both, gas and diesel. Yes the diesel is quieter and rides a little bit better than my gas one did, but the only thing I got frustrated with the gas unit was that I couldn't get gasoline at the truck stop pumps. Seems new gas stations have the pumps situated where it is cumbersome to get in with a large gas motorhome, especially if towing also. So we tried to stick with Flying-J, but there are many areas where there is no F-J. My V10 acceleration on On-Ramps was much better than my Cat330 diesel. MPG on the V10 was around 7-8, on the Cat330 I get 6.5-7.5
I wouldn't hesitate going with a Gas, but just test drive it on bumpy and at highway speeds first.

Cider

Central Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LeonaandLisa - FWIW: This was posted yesterday on another RV forum and pretty much sums up your question about maintenance / cost:

"Welcome to the world of owning and operating a motor home. There are two methods of recreation that are IMO more expensive, airplane and yacht.
I paid $2,600 to have the lift pump replaced. A bit over $3,000 to have the manifold replaced, both last year; OH, oil N filter(oil and fuel) changes for engine and genset was ~$500.
Did I mention traveling in a MH is the most expensive way? At our age however, it is the most convenient."

ChrisColeman

New York, NY, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you plan to drive your RV a lot (more than 6,000 miles/year), then diesel RVs will be recommended. engines have a long life and will outlast gas engines. It's obvious that these diesel pushers are more expensive than their gas counterparts. However, with the longer engine life, diesel motorhomes will definitely get higher resale value. A diesel engine can be also driven for longer periods of time between maintenance. Besides, the increased torque in diesels means much more power! Not only are these engines more powerful, they’re located in the back which clear the issue of having the heat from the cab or the engine noise to deal with up front.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Class A, gas or diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.