RV.Net Open Roads Forum: you like Torklift StableLoads? / Upper, lower or BOTH?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> you like Torklift StableLoads? / Upper, lower or BOTH?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

much love for Torklift StableLoads? / Upper, lower or BOTH?

Hi all

We have a 2020 F350 8 foot bed gasser, with the camper package (so an extra rear leaf spring)

We get our new Hallmark 9.5’ pop up camper soon-ish. Loaded (wet) weight should be maybe about 2,800 lbs (approx) so no safety issue with our load,

…however Hallmark thinks we MIGHT need or benefit from Torklift StableLoads. I believe they would install them for us, (i think for no extra charge) during the camper install.

The camper will be on the truck 100% of the time. The truck will basically never be empty.

From my research it looks as if Torklift StableLoads would improve the ride of our rig, and have lots of benefits, both comfort and maybe even emergency maneuver stability… for not a huge cost.

Should we just err on the side of caution (and comfort) and go for the StabeLoads from the start?

As Hallmark will install them for us, at no added charge I think, there is a *solid incentive* to just go for it.

and if you were in our situation - would you go for Upper, lower or BOTH?

The StableLoad website leads me to believe that the “LOWER OVERLOAD” solves 90% of all issues, so maybe just those might be a good place to start?

any general thoughts or experiences to share?

Thanks! :-)

https://www.torklift.com/rv/stableload

brholt

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you only need a bit of help would go with upper as they nicely preload the suspension.

moebedick

Worcester,Ma

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2016 F250 ,6.2 gas with the camper, plow, and tow packages, Super Cab with a 6’7”box . I carry a Northstar Freedom (approximately the same weight) and I have the overload springs and lower Stabiloads. Additionally, I have Timbrens in place of my stock axel stops. This combination allows me to load the camper and not have to realign my headlights. It also has ended any sway and rocking issues. We have about 35000 miles loaded with this combination and have enjoyed most of them. There were a few off-road miles that we survived, but I wished I had been elsewhere, (although I did perfect my close eyed driving technique).

If you are going to permanently mount your camper and use it off road, you might want to consider removing your jacks.

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 250 the lower worked good, on my 350 the upper worked good, depends on the setup. For you I would wait and see how it rides first, the uppers are easy to install after the fact if needed.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd go for both. Easy enough to remove if you don't like em. The lowers are hard to install if your springs need drilling. I have uppers on mine.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bear in mind that you have truck with aluminium bed, so much lighter in the rear than pre 2017 Superduties.
I needed nothing for my 5500- 6000 lb camper sitting on F350 dually, but add double hockey pucks on upper overloads - just in case.
Now closing on 30k miles they start showing some wear, meaning they do work.
But then my camper still leans forward, so I have to put planks under front for level parking.
Maybe removing the pucks would solve the issue?

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The upper address sag better and the lower address sway better. It is hard to say if you will have either problem, so do you really want to buy something you may not need? The lowers are easy to install if your lower spring is predrilled. If they are not and someone is offering you free labor to install them, that may be a worthwhile purchase. The upper ones are easy to install but you may have to move back a plastic fender liner in some trucks to access the overload perches.

I had to use both on my 2005 F250 to level out a 4000 lb camper. The F250 of that era sat 2" lower in the rear than the F350 but had the same suspension when optioned with the camper package.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wait until you get the camper on it, loaded full, then decide if you want or need anything and what would work best.
And the back of your truck is not considerably lighter than the previous style, not that you’re comparing anyway.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

sd1209

Elko, Nv & SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Bedlam--I would load it up and see what you have....I did that on the TC in my sig in 2016 and it was instantly obvious I needed something.....
My progression was:

1. Timbren's...did nothing, took them off.....
2. Upper and lower stableloads.....
3. Air bags (7500 lb bags).....

After the above, which I did over 5-6 trips and about 3K miles, I got it dialed in just fine.....That was 3 yrs ago, 30k miles, and all is still fine......Every rig is different depending on loading, total weight, etc....

One note: I did the homemade stableloads route.....A lot on the internet about it as well as the Lance Owners site........After 3 yrs/30K miles, they are still in place, doing the job and holding up well......Just a thought to save some money if necessary.....

Steve and Liz
Elko, Nv and San Diego, Ca
2017 Lance 1172
2016 F350 dually
2010 Jeep Wrangler

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on my 18 ram dually with ArctixFox 990 I had the lowers.
When your empty you can turn them with a wrench and they disengage.
What more could you want?
oh, and the ones I had were stainless also.

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> you like Torklift StableLoads? / Upper, lower or BOTH?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.