RV.Net Open Roads Forum: you like Torklift StableLoads? / Upper, lower or BOTH?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > you like Torklift StableLoads? / Upper, lower or BOTH?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bedlam

PNW

Moderator

Joined: 06/13/2012

View Profile






Posted: 04/21/20 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The upper StableLoads are a fixed height bumper pad but can be cut down for tighter applications. The lower StableLoads consist of three metal wedges and can be set to preload more or less of the bottom spring based on the number of wedges installed.


Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200


mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 09/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/21/20 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a 4,500lb camper on a 1990 F350 with just upper stableloads and Bilstein shocks. I pull mine out when unloaded because they are always engaged in the front and it rides bad enough empty without the overloads in the mix. With the TC on she rides like a dream, drops my tail by 1.5" and still keeps the rear higher than level.

[image]


Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP


billtex

RI

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/21/20 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mountainkowboy wrote:

I carry a 4,500lb camper on a 1990 F350 with just upper stableloads and Bilstein shocks. I pull mine out when unloaded because they are always engaged in the front and it rides bad enough empty without the overloads in the mix. With the TC on she rides like a dream, drops my tail by 1.5" and still keeps the rear higher than level.

[image]


Right. Why not cut down the upper SL’s so they don’t engage when unloaded? Wouldn’t this be the best case?

Thx.


2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 09/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/22/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

mountainkowboy wrote:

I carry a 4,500lb camper on a 1990 F350 with just upper stableloads and Bilstein shocks. I pull mine out when unloaded because they are always engaged in the front and it rides bad enough empty without the overloads in the mix. With the TC on she rides like a dream, drops my tail by 1.5" and still keeps the rear higher than level.

[image]


Right. Why not cut down the upper SL’s so they don’t engage when unloaded? Wouldn’t this be the best case?

Thx.


Maybe but, my main springs are pretty soft for a 1 ton, and empty I hit the overloads quite often with the uppers off the truck. I've tried it without the fronts on, but there's only 1/2" till the rear engages. It isnt a big deal for us, I only take them off when the TC is going to sit for awhile, while "out" they stay on and we deal with the rougher ride.

billtex

RI

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/21/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reviving this thread. Finally got my Talons for the new truck (lots of delays-on my end-due to COVID, etc).
Will load up this week and hit the scales. I anticipate upper SL’s as there is about 4” sag with the Eagle Cap on the new F350.

I am confused though. I have never run upper SL’s and i am hearing some folks say they do engage when unloaded and other’s say the ride is harsh even unloaded. My goal is to not effect unladen ride.

Why do some Folks have engagement when unloaded? Did they not set the upper SL’s correctly?
Did they not trim them?

Just eye balling the F350 looks like I will have ~ 2” before the upper SL’s engage.

So why the different opinions on upper SL’s?

Thx, Bill

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have them, and they don't engage or otherwise affect the ride when unloaded. If they did, I would contact TL.


'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

billtex

RI

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/21/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevenal wrote:

I have them, and they don't engage or otherwise affect the ride when unloaded. If they did, I would contact TL.


That is my understanding of how they SHOULD work.

Are some Folks just not setting them up correctly?
Do some suspension designs not allow this?

Thx, Bill

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 09/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/23/20 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:


I am confused though. I have never run upper SL’s and i am hearing some folks say they do engage when unloaded and other’s say the ride is harsh even unloaded. My goal is to not effect unladen ride.

Why do some Folks have engagement when unloaded? Did they not set the upper SL’s correctly?
Did they not trim them?

Just eye balling the F350 looks like I will have ~ 2” before the upper SL’s engage.

So why the different opinions on upper SL’s?

Thx, Bill


I believe it depends on the year of the truck. I don't believe that they were made when my truck was new. I've had to modify the upper stableloads to fit my truck correctly, and YES the front one just touches my overload when unloaded. I believe that when I bought them (12 years ago) TL said that they didn't know if they would fit my truck but that they should and may need to be modified for them to work.

Driving a "vintage" rig has it's trade-offs and we've just learned that most things have to be adapted to work on 30+ year old RV's.

Freep

Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 04/14/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/28/20 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the uppers for years and they ended up degrading. So when I got new uppers I took the plunge and got the lowers too. I was shocked at the difference the lowers made. I haven't experience porpoising at all since adding them. Sway is lessened significantly and washboard roads are not as terrible.

I wish I hadn't waited years to get the lowers.


edit: Oh and I forgot about the sag. I would forget to adjust my headlights when I put the camper on and people would flash me their brights. Not anymore.


2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

billtex

RI

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/29/20 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freep wrote:

I had the uppers for years and they ended up degrading. So when I got new uppers I took the plunge and got the lowers too. I was shocked at the difference the lowers made. I haven't experience porpoising at all since adding them. Sway is lessened significantly and washboard roads are not as terrible.

I wish I hadn't waited years to get the lowers.


edit: Oh and I forgot about the sag. I would forget to adjust my headlights when I put the camper on and people would flash me their brights. Not anymore.


Thanks-great input. I had a good conversation with TL the other day. I will be going with lower SL’s first and see how that goes. I can add uppers later if needed.

Thx to All.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > you like Torklift StableLoads? / Upper, lower or BOTH?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.