RV.Net Open Roads Forum: you like Torklift StableLoads? / Upper, lower or BOTH?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> you like Torklift StableLoads? / Upper, lower or BOTH?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ending an argumentative statement with “just so you know” is generally a sign....of something.
LA, I understand your want to have the ultimate, perfect, cake and eat it too, overlanding, off roading, full time camper truck combo.
The best part is you have it. Just as it sits. If you need to make an adjustment here or there, do so, for a reason. But no need to try to invent solutions to problems that don’t exist. That’s what the collective group is trying to tell you.
Like the guy who buys 6 different kinds of deodorant because he don’t want to smell,no matter what the occasion or activity....when honestly 1 deodorant will work.

Plus I already gave you the answer to put aside your point load, broken spring concern if you must add lower spring supports, but it appears it went right by you, in your quest for stable loads.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use nether of them.

JD5150

Anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several years ago I had a 4000 pound plus hard side TC with slide, mounted a Chevy 2500hd SWR short bed. I had Super Springs, Ride Rite Air Bags, Big Wig Sway Bar, Lower Stable Loads and 19.5 inch tires and rims.

Took the Stable Loads off. I think the Super Springs, 19.5 inch tires, rims and Big Wig Sway Bar did the trick for the Sway. It handled very well. Only needed around 20 to 40 psi in the air bags.

Really I had so much stuff/overkill that I don't think the stable loads would ever engage so it was a waste, but I do see where they can work if you allow them and not over due it like I did [emoticon]

billyray50

North Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the upper torklift stable loads on my truck last 3 years. Helped a great deal with some squat with TC on. When TC is off do not even notice them. Big fan. Looking for another bigger TC now preferably a slightly used Lance 1172 and will buy the bottom stable loads. Truck bottom spring is already pre drilled.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/20 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LosAngeles wrote:

much love for Torklift StableLoads? / Upper, lower or BOTH?

Hi all

We have a 2020 F350 8 foot bed gasser, with the camper package (so an extra rear leaf spring)

No extra rear leaf on F350 w/camper pkg. Here is 2020 Super Duty specs from Ford;

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_SuperDutyPU_Oct15.pdf

You will get a sway bar.

Maybe you got an F250?

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/20 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

LosAngeles wrote:

Hi all

We have a 2020 F350 8 foot bed gasser, with the camper package (so an extra rear leaf spring)

No extra rear leaf on F350 w/camper pkg. Here is 2020 Super Duty specs from Ford;

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_SuperDutyPU_Oct15.pdf

You will get a sway bar.

Maybe you got an F250?

No, I have a custom ordered F350. Ordered from Ford.

I did specify the highest GVWR (and also 4x4) so perhaps one of those is what got me the extra rear spring? I am pretty confident it is there - the extra spring.

regardless.... I now have the upper StableLoads, and the very top (short) spring is now touching the Upper Stable Load.

With the camper on, the ride is amazing. Very happy, all in all. The StableLoad (uppers only) went on when the camper went in, so no idea how the ride would be camper only, no upper StableLoads.

* This post was edited 04/13/20 09:16pm by LosAngeles *

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/20 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LosAngeles wrote:

billtex wrote:

LosAngeles wrote:

Hi all

You will get a sway bar.

Maybe you got an F250?

No, I have a custom ordered F350. Ordered from Ford.

I did specify the highest GVWR (and also 4x4) so perhaps one of those is what got me the extra rear spring? I am pretty confident it is there - the extra spring.

regardless.... I now have the upper StableLoads, and the very top (short) spring is now touching the Upper Stable Load.

With the camper on, the ride is amazing. Very happy, all in all. The StableLoad (uppers only) went on when the camper went in, so no idea how the ride would be camper only, no upper StableLoads.

There is no “extra spring” option for SRW F350 rear spring pack.

Glad you are happy with rig.

Ranger Tim

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have both upper and lower Stableloads. The truck has the camper package which means a factory stabilizer bar. I have very little concern with weight as the truck only drops an inch or so when loading the camper and it handles nicely. There is a small amount of sway and I intend to eventually fit a Big Wig bar to replace the factory one. I need new shocks so they will be first. After shock replacement I may not want anything else.

The truck/camper combo weighs 11,300 lbs. fully loaded per Cat scales, truck is right at 8000 lbs. empty with a full tank. I often tow a 1500 lb. utility trailer but it usually improves the ride. Driving habits and emergency stopping ability are the most important concerns for me, and I have confidence in my rig to handle most situations (I avoid high speeds of 65+). Only you can make those kind of determinations -- it is all about your comfort level. Asking the forum for opinions will yield a range of solutions and recommendations. Some may make sense for you and others may not. Some folks don't understand why everyone doesn't do everything their way and this philosophy probably pervades their persona. Whatever...

Take a long hard look at your situation and gather intel. You may not need to do anything yet. I needed a solution before I bought and happened to guess correctly. The Stableloads were perfect and the uppers were a five minute install. The lowers were a two hour ordeal of drilling springs. I rented the drill press device from TorkLift and it was essential. I now have two of the wedges engaged when the camper is on the truck. The uppers are fully engaged with the helper springs when loaded. When empty and the lowers are pivoted out of the way the truck rides harder than normal because the uppers are just touching. This leads to some squeeking and bumps can be uncomfortable. This is a truck after all. The uppers could be removed for any extended trips without the camper, but I have never needed to do that. The Stableloads are excellent for hauling heavy loads like firewood too. I have been happy with the purchase. Wish I had them in stainless.

Good luck with figuring out your needs. I think waiting for the camper to be loaded may be the best decision. The uppers might be nice to have on hand as they can be fitted in minutes. You may not need anything though. It all depends on the weights involved. Return them if they are not needed and only be out of the shipping cost.

Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Um, the OP already installed them and said he likes how it rides.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ranger Tim wrote:

I have both upper and lower Stableloads. The truck has the camper package which means a factory stabilizer bar. I have very little concern with weight as the truck only drops an inch or so when loading the camper and it handles nicely. There is a small amount of sway and I intend to eventually fit a Big Wig bar to replace the factory one. I need new shocks so they will be first. After shock replacement I may not want anything else.

The truck/camper combo weighs 11,300 lbs. fully loaded per Cat scales, truck is right at 8000 lbs. empty with a full tank. I often tow a 1500 lb. utility trailer but it usually improves the ride. Driving habits and emergency stopping ability are the most important concerns for me, and I have confidence in my rig to handle most situations (I avoid high speeds of 65+). Only you can make those kind of determinations -- it is all about your comfort level. Asking the forum for opinions will yield a range of solutions and recommendations. Some may make sense for you and others may not. Some folks don't understand why everyone doesn't do everything their way and this philosophy probably pervades their persona. Whatever...

Take a long hard look at your situation and gather intel. You may not need to do anything yet. I needed a solution before I bought and happened to guess correctly. The Stableloads were perfect and the uppers were a five minute install. The lowers were a two hour ordeal of drilling springs. I rented the drill press device from TorkLift and it was essential. I now have two of the wedges engaged when the camper is on the truck. The uppers are fully engaged with the helper springs when loaded. When empty and the lowers are pivoted out of the way the truck rides harder than normal because the uppers are just touching. This leads to some squeeking and bumps can be uncomfortable. This is a truck after all. The uppers could be removed for any extended trips without the camper, but I have never needed to do that. The Stableloads are excellent for hauling heavy loads like firewood too. I have been happy with the purchase. Wish I had them in stainless.

Good luck with figuring out your needs. I think waiting for the camper to be loaded may be the best decision. The uppers might be nice to have on hand as they can be fitted in minutes. You may not need anything though. It all depends on the weights involved. Return them if they are not needed and only be out of the shipping cost.

RangerTim-good post.
Question-can’t the upper SL be adjusted to NOT touch the overloads with no load in bed?
I thought that was one of their advantages...

I am considering the uppers for our new truck.

Thx, Bill

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> you like Torklift StableLoads? / Upper, lower or BOTH?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.