RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Invalid VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Invalid VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
a64armt

Greencastle PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the advice and info. My Allstate insurance agent called me back. After the senior agent got involved, he told them this has happened in the past. They have images of the front/back of the title. They insured it, so I guess we are good.

The seller is the original owner.

As for the VIN and limited production manufacturers; the 3rd digit is a 9, but the 12th, 13 & 14 are not. Not sure what that means.

Thanks
OJ

Vincent
Clermont, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HD’s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looked up some Lifestyles on rv trader.
This is a VIN off a 2014 LS36FW, 586LLF821E2495557
2016 LS38RS, 586LLF927G2495791
2016 LS38RS, 586LLF927F2495627

Looks like someone messed up the first 3 spaces on the vin on the title. Or the vin on the trailer has been changed? The way your ViN reads is how a car VIN starts. 1 is U.S. L is manuf (someone used L for Lifestyel) if it was a Ford it would be an F. And the 3rd is the type of vehicle, car, truck. Not sure what the 9 would signify? Recreational vehicles are not decoded that way though. Some more checking will be benificial.

* This post was edited 02/13/20 06:23pm by dodge guy *

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“The current owner has a valid FL title, registration and all data matches the VIN on the unit itself.”

VALID...If you are such an expert, why are you asking us?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

doxiemom11

Paris Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to work in insurance. I have run into typing errors on titles. Check the title carefully against what is on the vehicle. Pay particular attention to things like S and 5 , 0 is always the number, 8 and 3 are often confused. The letter I is never used. Someone types that information/ or used to into a typewriter / now computer so there is room for human error.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should be a combination of 17 letters and numbers. No letter "O" always a zero. Not that hard to figure out. An auto theft detective may be of help. They work with vin numbers all day. It's for sure a mistake somewhere, they can never be changed from what the mfg. put on it. I should also be stamped on the frame as well as on the vin tag on the left front. Also take the vin off the title. No State would register it if the number was incorrect.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Lumpty

Greater Gotham City

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 03:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On low volume production items this is not unusual to have happen. Even with cars. My '15 VW Golf Sportwagen is a very rare gas 5 speed manual, bought new shortly after they were introduced that model year. My agent said the VIN was not valid. It took an actual picture of the stamped plate on the dash and door sticker to show that was the actual ID.

Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will say again. Get ahead of a friendly police officer. Specifically one who works for the Auto Theft Division.. You may have to buy him a very nice dinner or a case of lubrication but since what you are discussing is a typo not a crime. it's a favor not a bribe.

Something you need to know about Vins comes from Packet communications.

When your computer downloads this post it will be in the form of several packets of info. Now each packet contains a "Self check" that validates the packet. if the packet is garbled your computer will send a NAK (non Acknowledge) and ask for it to be resent.. This is why things slow down if you have a weak Wi-Fi or Cell connection.

Same with the VIN. there is a formula I used to have access to and one of the digits is computed from the others.. The vin starts by describing where it was made by want company. and a bunch of physical things (on a car the engine, transmission, body style and more) it continues with the model year and serial number.. But one character (The middle one) is then found by using a mathmatical formula and sort of adding all the others (it's more complex)

That is how they know it is invalid.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Scottiemom

Florida/On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

I just went through a similar situation with a scooter. In my case the insurance company made a mistake when they entered the number. There is usually a vin stamped on the frame.

On a recent purchase we got the titles back on our manufacturered home. Since it's a double wide, it has two titles. The "make" on one title reads JACO (it's a Jacobson). No problem there. The "make" on the second title reads KACO.

Called and told the title company about it. They researched it and from its inception, that is how the title was prepared. However, they said, it is an error and it must be corrected. Easy mistake with the J and K right next to each other on the keyboard, but a proofreader should have caught it.

They are correcting it. Just pointing out that mistakes/typos on titles do happen.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

A police officer or Motor Carrier (Diesel smokey) may be able to help you as a favor.... I know back when I worked dispatch I had a book I could use to de-construct a vin (Tell you what it was) and if he's good enough (I was) construct a vin for the most part (I can't do the xxxxx part ) many dispatchers also have a program on their computer (I helped the author test it) that can help too.

The leading 1 means "Made in the USA" but beyond that. I can't tell you much after many years retired.

I too used to be able to "read" VINS; it was part of the job when I was in Public Safety. I remember the switch in 1981 to the standardized format. Also retired. H E R E - VIN Config is the meaning of each digit and some other useful information. There is a check digit, the ninth character, that is a calculated digit based on everything else. The 10th digit is the year. The actual serial sequence is the last 6 digits. This VIN format is standardized, regardless if an automobile, a trailer, a motorhome, a semi tractor, etc.

From the original post, it appears there's an error in the 6th character; a lower case f. Lower case letters are/were never used in the standardized format IIRC. Depending on the source of the OPs input for the sample VIN, that could be what's causing the problem. As suggested, a Law Enforcement Officer should be able to help, and specifically a certified truck inspector, who would know where the hidden VIN is (all vehicles also have a hidden VIN somewhere).

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only correct answer is to get the vehicle VIN from the frame of the vehicle. Everything else is prone to error.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Invalid VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.