|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front Hitch receiver F-250

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Fisher Bill

Tigard

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dual support is ideal but I have the same Curt receiver on the front of my 2006 duramax and I've been ok with a clamp like this https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=anti+sway+bike+rack+clamp That I found through the link Buzzcut1 posted. I use a similar clamp on the bike rack on the back of our fiver and it does help the sway (depending on the weight of your load)
I carry a 3500 propane generator on the front and use some of the ratchet straps to hold and to stabilize the unit to the truck frame/body.

2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Add some stabilizing turnbuckles from the tow loops to the outside corners of the front rack like this. It will be rock solid then.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

I use a similar method for my front mounted spare . Like a rock .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As someone noted, the hitches made for later model trucks is pretty low to the ground. If you already have a rack that uses two tubes, I’d probably go that route.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

AidenJ

Adirondacks, NY ,USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 04:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sent you a PM.

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC, CTD, SRW
2010 NORTHERN-LITE 10-2 SPECIAL EDITION)
Libby, 2 yr Boxer/Hound mix learning to travel

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While it is nice to use cables to add security this is not necessary for your light load.

Rather, use one of the many hitch anti-rattle items out there. Etrailer dod com has them in the shape of U-bolts that simply tighten up everything.

I have seen motorcycles carried on a single 2 inch receiver down bumpy dirt paths and they held perfectly.

I have a friend that regularly carries 200 lb load on a front tray on both RV and his minivan depending what he drives. No issues.

GAR2

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little different twist , I bought a curt under bumper front hitch for my ‘02 F350, modified to a triple, and built my own custom valance/air dam. Lots of work involved— but use it for my 17,500lb. winch and snow plow for drive way at home. There’s lots of possibilities if your into custom / DIY. My truck has the blocker beam- not sure about your newer Ford.

[image]

In the market to buy a T/C
2002 F350 4wd CC DRW 8’ box
Load Lifter 5000 rear air bags, front Timbrens
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois

GAR2

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing worth noting on the curt single front hitch, read the install directions on etrailer.com and watch their install video. On the ‘02 there are brackets that bolts on to the front main bolt for the leaf spring mounts in which the nuts have to be removed— they are an absolute bear to get off! (Especially at a home shop as opposed to on a lift at a garage) But that was the ‘02 under bumper application. I believe the ones that mount where the fog lights go you have to pull bumper and they use the frame horns where bumper mounts if I recall correctly.

Sliding-into-home

PDX

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Add some stabilizing turnbuckles from the tow loops to the outside corners of the front rack like this. It will be rock solid then.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

This is exactly what I did with a little front-mount generator box I made. It can still shift a bit, but I only notice it when I'm actively twisting it in the driveway--never on the road.

Bradymydog

Western MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2018 GMC 3500 with a Boss snowplow mount. I welded in a receiver into the cross member of the plow mount. I then installed turn buckles back to each end of the cross member to existing holes in the cross member support brackets. I use it for a front mounted spare tire. lt is rock solid. Boss also makes an air dam to replace the stock one so no cutting was required and the receiver does not interfere with the plow. The truck side plow mounts consist of two side plates that bolt to the frame and the crossmember. Very heavy duty.

time2retire

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just finished installing the Curt front hitch. It wasn't as easy as their videos show. We ended up removing the bumper to remove the tow hooks. We had to grind off a 1"x1" corner of the hook bracket as the install bolt was to fat for the bracket to lay down flat on the frame. Took about 3 hours.

It is solid as a rock on the frame.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front Hitch receiver F-250
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.