|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Repalcing Onan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So - It's not a "junk" Onan, just so happens your previous owner screwed it up. I would get the board replaced and fix that one or get another one. The ONan/Cummins are made for Rv's and plug and play. Not that you can't use another model, but there would be modifications to make it work in an RV. (Connections, Start, fuel delivery, exhaust, Bin mods to fit, mounting - just to name a few. )

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are four or five places around the Country that sell used parts from RVS.
An onboard generator is far more friendly than an outside unit that you have to go out to start, fuel and secure and store when moving.
I can't see what RV you have and if gas or diesel, but if you can afford 7,500 kw to 10,000 kw in portable generators you can afford a new Onan and most certainly a used Onan which while outside the RV can be fully serviced with new belt cooling inspection etc.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many hours on your current 20 year old Onan Microlite 4000? It is possible that it is just worn out. (but unlikely) I own a 21 year old Onan 4000 in my Class A gasser with over 2000 hours on it and it works/starts fine. But, I regularly perform ALL the recommended maintenance and it is bone stock with NO modifications. It also gets exercised frequently.

Chum lee

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Portable look at Harbor Freight for 3500 electric start.

If you can fit it in the space available, I would go with the Harbor Freight or Champion of the same size.

The only issue may be routing the exhaust to the outside instead of just dumping it inside the compartment. You will probably have to get some mounting brackets welded up.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

enblethen wrote:

Portable look at Harbor Freight for 3500 electric start.

If you can fit it in the space available, I would go with the Harbor Freight or Champion of the same size.

The only issue may be routing the exhaust to the outside instead of just dumping it inside the compartment. You will probably have to get some mounting brackets welded up.

Well, that and cooling and figuring out how to connect it to the RV fuel system and rigging up a remote start from inside the RV (if you want that and if the generator doesn't have a wireless remote control), and probably a few other odds and ends.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harbor Freight genset should not be installed in a MH. Should use only as a portable unit.
Maybe on a carrier mounted to rear of rig.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

oldave

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has been discussed before and as I recall the idea was abandoned .

If you can't be sure that carbo monoxide is not going to kill you it
would be crazy to chance it .

Also proper air flow is a must or the new gen might melt .

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My previous MH had a "PowerNow" 5500watt generator made by PowerTech for a couple of months probably as a test of the market. They'd taken a Kawasaki V-Twin engine, mounted it on rubber supports to a metal plate. On the other end of the plate was an Italian generator driven by a belt under the plate. Because the engine wasn't designed to be serviced from the side, I couldn't get at the rear sparkplug without pulling the generator out. Thankfully, the MH manufacturer used a heavy duty drawer slide but it was awfully tight pulling it out past the sidewall. I had to disconnect the exhaust to pull it out. The rubber supports compressed allowing the crankshaft to grind the bolt holding the pulley into the bottom of housing.

Overall, it had the power and the Kawasaki was a fine engine but it just wasn't designed for the application and was a pain to deal with. It had to come out to replace the air filter. PowerTech never sold all of them and while fussing about mine to a PowerTech rep at a couple of FMCA rallies, he offered to send me another. I never took him up on his offer because one was enough!

I pitched hissy fit to Onan about 3 years ago in Chandler, AZ at the rally about not modernizing their line up. I told them the time had come to switch over to inverter technology so I wouldn't need to put up with their constant speed models whose design probably dates back to the 1940 or before. The engineer I spoke with was on board and had me rant in front of his video camera about what I wanted to see and he completely agreed it was time for design changes. I'm still waiting. I can't figure out why no one has challenged Onan's share of the RV market by offering 4000 and 5500 watt inverter type generators. They could take over the market in short order. Like others, I bought a 2200 watt Ryobi inverter portable and set it next to my MH when boondocking. It sits out there and idles giving me all the power I need to charge my batteries and watch TV every evening. I shut it off when I go to bed after the blankets have warmed the bed to perfection. It uses about a gallon a day compared to 1/2 gallon an hour my noisy Onan uses. Somebody's missing a great opportunity here.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

I pitched hissy fit to Onan about 3 years ago in Chandler, AZ at the rally about not modernizing their line up. I told them the time had come to switch over to inverter technology so I wouldn't need to put up with their constant speed models whose design probably dates back to the 1940 or before. The engineer I spoke with was on board and had me rant in front of his video camera about what I wanted to see and he completely agreed it was time for design changes. I'm still waiting. I can't figure out why no one has challenged Onan's share of the RV market by offering 4000 and 5500 watt inverter type generators.

Somewhat more strangely, in my opinion, is that Onan does in fact have a couple of variable-engine-speed inverter generators in their RV lineup: the QD6000 and QD8000. It doesn't seem like it would be an impossibly enormous task to use that technology in more of their models as well. (That's not to minimize the work required to design a generator or other piece of equipment; R&D does not come for free by any stretch of the imagination.)

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update your antiquated products or fall by the wayside as technology moves on.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Repalcing Onan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.