|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Trojan T-105

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azrving wrote:

I’ve also had good luck with Sams (Duracell by East Penn) GC2 but while working in industry Trojan was all we ran. They suggest a daily charge of 14.8 volts. Do you have the ability to do 14.8 and equalize if needed?

This is an issue ! Trojan charging characteristics are just a little higher than everyone else in the industry. It is difficult to find a charger that meets the Trojan recommendations.

Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I paid $145 plus tax for my T105s back in 2016....looks right to me.

[image]

[image]

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2015 Wildcat 317RL, MoRryde rubber pin box, Titan Disc Brakes, Trojan T105
B&W Ram Companion

Yamaha EF2600c tri-fuel generator
Champion Model 46595- 3000/3500w

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

azrving wrote:

I’ve also had good luck with Sams (Duracell by East Penn) GC2 but while working in industry Trojan was all we ran. They suggest a daily charge of 14.8 volts. Do you have the ability to do 14.8 and equalize if needed?

This is an issue ! Trojan charging characteristics are just a little higher than everyone else in the industry. It is difficult to find a charger that meets the Trojan recommendations.

PowerMax LK model converters all have an adjustable voltage mode that goes from 13-16.5v. They are easy to find and cost less than many other converters. That 16.5 lets you do Trojan 16.2 Equalize too.

The older "plain" models do not have this feature, so watch out you get a PM-3LK and not a plain PM3. eg this 60 amper is an LK

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/pro........er-converter-battery-charger-w-led-light

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

librty02

Western Pa

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I planned on going with this as it's a direct replacement of my wfco 8955

https://powermaxconverters.com/product/pm3-mba/

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

librty02 wrote:

I planned on going with this as it's a direct replacement of my wfco 8955

https://powermaxconverters.com/product/pm3-mba/

That PMX lower portion when installed makes the adjustable voltage inaccessible, so IMO it is not a good idea. For about the same money you can get the deck mount, which can be installed anywhere, especially closer to the battery bank than your OEM converter is, which will make for better battery charging on shorter wires so less voltage drop.

Doing that, you can leave the WFCO in place, no work to do.

EDIT--you can also put the deck mount under where the lower portion went instead of using an MBA. You can orient it so you can get at the two holes in the side of the LK to operate it.

Or you can replace the whole power centre with the PMX one. The converter in it is a little different from the deck mount LK in that the three-stage mode automatic side, has two hours in boost instead of 1/2 hour. That might be enough so you can use that mode and not have to use the adjustable mode except for special jobs like equalizing. No big deal to use the adjustable though. It does need you to get at it with a small screwdriver and a flashlight and have a voltmeter to read off while you twiddle the pot in the hole.

* This post was edited 02/14/20 07:40pm by BFL13 *

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

azrving wrote:

PowerMax LK model converters all have an adjustable voltage mode that goes from 13-16.5v. They are easy to find and cost less than many other converters. That 16.5 lets you do Trojan 16.2 Equalize too.

The older "plain" models do not have this feature, so watch out you get a PM-3LK and not a plain PM3. eg this 60 amper is an LK

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/pro........er-converter-battery-charger-w-led-light

Looks like the Bestconverter.com boondocker is also adjustable to 16.5v. I'll bet it's the same converter just rebranded.
Link

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crown is another big source in the industrial side. We had fleets of crown forklift and pallet truck batteries and sometimes even the GC2. A lot of the crown GC were in manlifts. A lot of the personnel and burdened carriers were Trojan. Our Trojans batteries were beat on daily. We ran three shifts and would have to go out on equipment service calls and have to stop at places in the factory to plug in because the batteries were stone dead. We’d get enough charge to make it to the next plug. No you cant run gassers in the buildings. We had an odd gas or diesel but they didn’t live indoors.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went with the progressive dynamics Wildkat unit. Not quite 14.8, but does get to 14.4

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best price I've found have been through golf cart sales and maintenance shops. There's a Continental Battery Distributor near me that's will to sell Trojan's at a very good price. Look around.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Looks like the Bestconverter.com boondocker is also adjustable to 16.5v. I'll bet it's the same converter just rebranded.
Link "

That is correct. PMX is the supplier.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Trojan T-105
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.