|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> They all think I'm CrAzY

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
FireGuard

Frazier Park

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like just you and your son? I’m assuming your talking about waiting out school just until this spring and then leaving.
If that’s what you want to do, I would hold off on the RV and list your mobile home and stay in it until it sells. Then either get a Class C or you can buy a nice travel trailer for less than $10k.
I agree with the storage comments, get rid of “Stuff” you don’t need. I’m researching minimalist living and have gotten rid of a lot of stuff. It’s hard at first but actually becomes addicting and you will be looking for things you can get rid of. It’s liberating and makes life more simple and meaningful. You can always borrow or rent almost anything.
Most people who rent storage pay way more than what the stuff is worth. That’s why it’s a multi billion dollar business.
For firearms, either find a friend or relative you trust or maybe inquire at a gun store.
Or, I have plenty of room in my safe. LOL
I agree with you about California. It’s such a beautiful state with amazing weather but the “leaders” have screwed it up so badly.
I may be a few years behind you.
Good Luck.

13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smily wrote:

. Guessing TOAD is tow along vehicle.

Yes, TOAD means Towed.
Traveling in a motorhome of any type is nice. You have everything available while rolling down the road. And if you get stuck in a 10 mile long multi hour traffic backup, having the bathroom available without leaving the rig is priceless.
I was just throwing out options. It sounds like you have a plan. Enjoy. [emoticon]

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two things.

Vermont winters are tough. Keeping warm will be an issue.

Even though you have skills, the population density of Vermont, heck the whole NE including upstate NY, is light. Not necessarily a lot of work available.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like you have some good ideas. In my case, when I was 50 yrs old, I would look for employment first, then consider the options. List your skills with a national agency, listing your skills, and maybe the areas you are interested in. Like everything, trying to buy a class c will probably be much less cost out of the California gold coast. So get a location, maybe shop for an RV online, load what you want to keep in a rental truck, and head out to a new home. In other locations, small apartment or home rentals are much more affordable than in Cal, but do remember that pay scales are also less in other states. Might also check to see if you truck is towable 4-down.

* This post was edited 02/14/20 04:27pm by Johno02 *

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a good plan to me. I would do almost anything to get out of that state.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Flute Man

Payson, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go for it. I did and it’s been a very good experience.

Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why focus on Class C? If I were contemplating buying a rig that I had too live Full time in I would be considering buying a lightly used Class A that was around 10 years old. RV's rapidly depreciate and price decline tends to slow down once they get to be around 10 years old. There are a boatload of RVers that don't put much miles on there rig so there s/b plenty of rigs to view. Just my 02.

Kevin

Smily

State of Confusion

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My idea was to dump the truck wen it's time to roll away. Dont wanna tow it, I don't know but my guess is the gas mileage will be horrible. I own my place and can turn it for 175 to 225k so I will have funds. Then if I don't get full on into the RV life I would like to buy land and sell the RV. Then start from there. I dont wanna sound like a big *****, but I do have faith in my skills and have got jobs just from looking at my portfolio. And the ultimate fall back is property maintenance I've run 4 properties with 275 family's so there is always free or discount on site housing if everything goes bust. But that is absolutely last option lol I'd almost rather live in a tent then onsite.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smily,

I kind of hate to tell you this, but the east coast megopolis (the city the stretches from about Portland ME to Raleigh NC) goes more or less 100 miles inland and it is now all a crazy as California. I spent most of my younger life there and now feel like a refugee. Some years back, my father offered me his company and a house to move back to NJ. Then he pushed the point and had a heart attack to I had to run things while he recovered. Glad I did. I will never go back there or CT (My other home state) for longer than a tank of propane will last. It is insane back there. Taxes are all about the same as California, and the vehicle and gun laws will make you nuts. (If you are lucky that is - otherwise, you go to jail.) The whole country is loosing it. Everybody wants free stuff that we pay for and nobody accepts responsibility for what they caused. I am now in Michigan and it is getting bad here too. I am too old and shot-up to manage a long move.

Now, by way of a suggestion, you might target the central states like Indiana, Missouri and Arkansas. Illinois has Chicago..... Where politicians get one term in office and the next in prison.

You can work the local papers on the web and apply for jobs on line. Your opening statement to any prospective employer should be that you want out of La-La Land. Many will understand.

Your boy is at a bad age to move, but he will recover. He can even keep up with current friends with Facebook and Skype.

You and yours are in for an adventure. Make your choices and hang on tight. That is what I did years ago and how I ended up in Michigan.

Best of luck my friend.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spend a great deal of time in the northeast. Vermont and NH are not busy like CT, Mass., NJ & NY plus taxes and real estate are lower but salaries reflect that. NH is nice because there is no state sales tax and they do not tax your pensions but property taxes and auto registrations tend to be on the high side, they have to get their money from somewhere.
As for guns, if you do not have a gun when you enter Vt. they will assign you one, very relaxed gun laws. It appears that many open carry in NH. I see it in many restaurants when I'm eating there. I would hate to be a waiter and screw up an order.
Both NH and VT are a little shy regarding work but good honest dependent labor people are hard to find and people will hire you if you can repair things. If you can get a CDL license, there are bus driving and logging jobs.
In both those states you will need to research the specific schools in particular towns for substance abuse. Do your homework regarding that.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> They all think I'm CrAzY
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.