|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Newbie Pre Purchase Questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
pasta4lnch

long island

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all, new to the forum (and the world of camping)! My wife and I got the camping bug and we want to get a TT. I've read a lot of conflicting info and have some questions before we pull the trigger on one.

I'm pretty set on the layout - bunkhouse with U dinette (preferred, but reg is ok) and couch. King size bed is also preferred. Nearly every manufacturer has one.

My tow vehicle is a 2019 Ram 1500 w the V8 and standard gears

I basically have 2 questions:

1) There are only 2 dealers relatively close to where I live. I'm not over the moon about either of the brands they carry. Is it THAT detrimental to have my dealer close by for warranty repairs? (alternative is over an hours drive, several bridges and traffic to drive the most patient person mad) I can use the close by dealers for repairs, but they obviously won't be covered.

The most reputable dealer near us is a Jayco dealer. The TT that fits my specs is a base model (slx8 284bhs) that is ok, but I've seen nicer. I'll go w it if the warranty issue is that big of a deal, but I really like the KZ or Grand Designs better and was impressed at a Sunset Trail we recently saw at a trade show...

2) Most of the TTs I'm looking at are in the 27/28' interior size. Ram says I can tow 8240lbs. The ones I'm looking at are in the 7500lb range gross (presumably packed out w stuff). I should be ok yeah?

Thanks in advance for any advice!! With the summer around the corner, I am anxious to get on the road and start exploring!!

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

first trailer? buy a nice used one .theres lots of them out there. then you,ll learn what you really want.

lawrosa

Horry County

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RAM 1500 4X4 CREW ST 5'7" BOX your payload is 1840.. Pretty good. Is it just you and spouse in truck?

800 lb TW you may be up over 1000 lbs when loaded. Add more people to truck and youll be up there at limits.

Thing with the rams I hear is the coil suspension is not that good.. May need to beef it up with sumo springs or air bags as people on this site suggest.

Jayco cargo CCC is 1200. Not alot IMO.

Grand design youll get a bit more 1600 and a 600 lb tongue weight.But pay the price for the name.. Better quality?

My theory is find as light as you can with max cargo hold.

yes sunset trails is a good option.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/products/tra........railers/sunset-trail/floorplans/ss288bh/

You will have warranty work I am sure... I fixed all the stuff myself because I didnt want the RV tied up at the dealer for months as they are always swamped.. Only if there was something major would I bring it back. I bought the RV from a dealer that was 4 hours away. Its where I got a fantastic price. All my local dealers were 4000 more...those dealers were 1.5 hours away.

Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chances are pretty good you will have some sort of warranty work at some point with any of the current manufacturers. But buying a tt your not really liking because it’s close isn’t a good idea either .All of our RV’s have been purchased out of state and have had a few warranty issues we just brought them back to dealers for the work . Find the floor plan and manufacturer’s you like.

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Lwiddis

Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What your truck can carry is more important than what you can pull. While lawrosa estimates your payload at 1840, what does the sticker say? And how much weight will you carry in the truck? I second the suggestion of buying used first time ut.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, a few things......
On a 1/2-ton you'll run out of payload or hit your rear axle rating before you hit the max tow capacity. It's a common newbie trap. And since you're talking a bunkhouse I assume you have a family & maybe a crew cab? Passengers and gear count against your payload.
If you can, research customer opinions on the dealers service dept. It's not unusual to be quoted several weeks or even months to get an appointment.
RV's are a house being subjected to earthquakes rolling down the road. How handy are you at repairs? If you need to take the trailer back to the dealer for every minor issue you won't get a lot of camping time in.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

first trailer? buy a nice used one .theres lots of them out there. then you,ll learn what you really want.

X2 or rent one a couple of weekends, wife and I found out what we REALLY needed and what we could live without by renting

lawrosa

Horry County

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and just for research wise, im partial to coachmen. Better quality IMO and its all ive owned..

When I bought my BH I found this model coachmen to be the lightest out there in regards to TW and a 2120 CCC capacity..

@ 4880 load that bad boy up..

I like that they are low slung.. All my coachmens road true with no sway...That low slung weight really helps..

https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/apex-ultra-lite/288BHS/292

video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tc8RQUk35M

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy used is right. People often change RVs.
Buy something lighter or get a different truck.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bunkhouse, why?
My first and current TT has bunks. HAD to get them for the grandkids. Two seasons later, they have NEVER went on a trip with us. We have camped with our daughter's family several times, they have their own TT, and THEN we get a grandkid or two sleep over with us occasionally.
I added a removable clothes rod to the bottom bunk to make it more useful. The upper bunk is a **** catcher. Love my grandkids but 90% of the time the bunks are a waste. I can strap up the lower bunk and use it as a storage area using the factory outside access door. We could have had a smaller TT or more living space for my wife and I if bunks weren't a key factor.
I like my TT a lot but without the bunks as a must, so many more options would have been considered.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Newbie Pre Purchase Questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.