|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Newbie Pre Purchase Questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also started with a used bunkhouse for the grandkids. They also never went with us on a single trip. Teenage kids don't want to hang out with grandparents unless they have great wifi.

We sold the bunkhouse and bought a rear dinette and are much happier with it. Since we bought the bunkhouse used and sold at a great price, we sold it and actually made a little money in the deal. The rear dinette works great for us.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding your actual questions and not why you don't want bunks even if you do and why your truck is too small even though it isn't....

1. Warranty s'morranty. It's only a year, most RV service s ucks and you need to be handy or have $ to have a RV. Don't let local dealer get in the way of the right deal on the one you really want. Lends itself to the used vs new discussion as well.
2. Your truck is fine with virtually any 7500lb TT with a 8 speed Hemi.
Wdh and/or airbags are in your future though. Not unlike a larger TT behind any half ton save for the Ferd, super duper payload package trucks.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jdc1

Riverside, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

first trailer? buy a nice used one .theres lots of them out there. then you,ll learn what you really want.

Ditto. Save $10,000

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you decide to go new find the unit you like and ask the mfg. if there is a repair only shop they will let you use or a mobile tech. I've never been back to my selling dealer.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless money is very easy... first RV should be rented or used IMO.
Keep the trailer GVWR within your actual tow rating for best results.
And don't plan to have a ton of firewood, motorcycle and large BBQ in the truck bed at the same time as towing.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pasta4lnch

long island

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey gang - thanks for all the replys!! A lot to think about.

Ram's website claims 8510lbs tow capacity. As for cargo, our hopes is to be pretty light. We'll likely be going to sites w full hook ups that are near towns...at least at first. So we won't have to take all our food and firewood etc. We're a family of 4 - my kids are still little and will be coming with us for the foreseeable future - I think the bunk house is going to be the way. I do like the idea of having a couch and U dinette too for rainy days so if I can swing both w my truck, then i want to.

I am really leaning towards the sunset or now I've found this Grand Design Xplor 265bh that is an interesting floorpan. I keep thinking the warranty is only 2 years. If I make two or three trips to the dealer for repairs then so be it. Anything else I can stay local since I'll be paying anyway...

pasta4lnch

long island

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This looks cool too!

lawrosa wrote:

and just for research wise, im partial to coachmen. Better quality IMO and its all ive owned..

When I bought my BH I found this model coachmen to be the lightest out there in regards to TW and a 2120 CCC capacity..

@ 4880 load that bad boy up..

I like that they are low slung.. All my coachmens road true with no sway...That low slung weight really helps..

***Link Removed***

video...

***Link Removed***

pasta4lnch

long island

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting, I was wondering about this...

bob213 wrote:

If you decide to go new find the unit you like and ask the mfg. if there is a repair only shop they will let you use or a mobile tech. I've never been back to my selling dealer.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I totally agree with getting a bunkhouse for the kids. I have 3 of my own, ages 9,7, and 3, I'm looking for a bunkhouse TT for our next RV.
You will be payload limited on your truck. The weight of your family, pets, and gear in the truck will subtract form the payload listed on your door sticker. What's left will have to handle the loaded tongue weight of your trailer and the weight of the weight distributing hitch. Your loaded tongue weight should be a minimum of 12% of your trailer's loaded weight which, for a family of 4, might as well be the GVWR.
After you run all the numbers like that I suspect you can handle a smaller trailer than you think.

pasta4lnch

long island

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ram website says 1900lb cargo. The four of us and lets say both dogs and minimal cargo will be around 900lbs, so that is leaving 1000lbs for the tongue weight? The Jayco we looked at is 770 unloaded so I'm assuming I need to figure in all the **** we put in the TT too? I can see how this can get out of hand...

KD4UPL wrote:

I totally agree with getting a bunkhouse for the kids. I have 3 of my own, ages 9,7, and 3, I'm looking for a bunkhouse TT for our next RV.
You will be payload limited on your truck. The weight of your family, pets, and gear in the truck will subtract form the payload listed on your door sticker. What's left will have to handle the loaded tongue weight of your trailer and the weight of the weight distributing hitch. Your loaded tongue weight should be a minimum of 12% of your trailer's loaded weight which, for a family of 4, might as well be the GVWR.
After you run all the numbers like that I suspect you can handle a smaller trailer than you think.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Newbie Pre Purchase Questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.