RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Need file repository for sharing large files

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Need file repository for sharing large files

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And how many grains of silver emulsion per inch
On film
I scan at 300dpi

72 dpi does not match the The sensor in a digital camera
Less than 0.25" square and a 6-MegaPixel image
That is 3264*1836 pixels

My 8 year old Samsung pocket digital is 14.2 Megapixel with 18x optical zoom

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ryoung

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In order to share your files they must be stored somewhere and somehow.

Since you have a subscription to Office 365, you have 1TB storage available to you on Microsoft OneDrive. You can make any files stored there shareable.

What is your reasoning for not using this service.

ryoung

2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, your scans are way way too big. I've done testing of sizes, and on a screen to view, 900 pixels is plenty big enough. On TV screen, 1280 to 1500. In fact for general viewing via web, my pics are in the 300k size.

Storage, I have a server, with Raid 5 at the B&M, which can be accessed via internet. I have a duplicate server off site... which reminds me, I need to update it again [emoticon] Additional large HD, which has most of the data, that is in the camper. Note on the server at B&M, I had to go to HTTPS because of the number of pings and log in attempts coming from overseas. It hasn't stopped, but it has slowed considerably.

The server is running Plex, which anybody I allow can get access to photos, music, and video on the server.

Also you can set up a website, godaddy makes it easy to set up a website and that could also be used to store your data.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

"Most cameras default to 72 DPI and at 10 Mega pixels results in a photo with a "native size" of 64"x 48"."

Uhhhh, whut?

[emoticon]

UMM, YEAH.

HERE YOU GO..

[image]

That is a screen capture of the DEFAULTS of a 10 mega pixel picture, I have not altered or changed this file in any way.

The native file size is approx 4 MB in size (the size listed in the screen shot is IF I saved the file in Photoshop default of a PSD format which is not readable by any other program but it enables you to modify and track changes and undo them any time).

IF I change the DPI to 300 and the canvas size to 8x10 the file shrinks to 1.2 MB which IS a far more reasonable size to incorporate into a Word Doc or Power Point slide show where the image "quality" is borked by MS Office anyway.

So far, EVERY digital camera I have owned, my DW has owned and my DD owned from 1 megapixel up to and including 14 mega pixel ALL DEFAULT TO 72 DPI.

You CAN change the DPI then reduce the canvas size with very little pixel loss if you are careful but yet reduce the overall file size.

mustard

Sarasota,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just created a 500GB USB memory stick for less than $115. Just two components from Newwegg.com. All I have to do was to be able to unscrew and screw 5 screws to put it together. Could have created one 2TB in size. It depends on the M2 card size you buy.

Just a thought for your acrhive of your files.

If you have a current router such as one from netgear, you might be able to put the USB drive on it.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been quiet here the past few days.... I've been fiddle fooling around with an old toy.

One suggestion was literally within arms reach, sitting at my desk typing on my laptop.

Thank you STBRetired for the idea.

I had totally forgotten about my NAS unit. It has resided in the hutch of my desk for years. So I dragged it out, found the cables and such and plugged it in. It has been unplugged since I think early 2014, maybe longer, when I left the west coast. Used to run it on Win7.

I sorta remember back then that it was capable of hosting. I could send a link or something, people could grab a shared folder. Perfect.

So I plugged it into my Win10 machine, stuck an RJ45 into it and the router and fired it up.

Please enter your username and password. Uhhhh.... That was years ago... I have no idea what it is. Tried a few of my old ones I could remember but no cigar on that.

Did an OS reinstall, updated this and that, got into the thing.

Well, 7 year old technology, much is obsolete, safety protocols, certificates ad nauseum....

Finally got the thing so I could access it on my local network. Aha, thought I was away to the races. Nope! The internal apps that do various things are no longer in existence, nor are they supported.

Rats...

This is a wonderful little device, but it appears at this point I'm unable to do file sharing with it unless I can poke around and find a way to open a door to the internet with it.

I found out I need firmware something version 6, but that is only for newer devices. Can't put it on mine. I can go max ver 5.3.7 firmware...

Rats again...

It's a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo V2. I paid a fair chunk of change for it in 12 or 13, plus the 2 - 2tb drives I put in and set as a mirror RAID. This would be perfect if I can get it working the way I want.

Oh well, I forge ahead and I once again thank everyone for the input here. I'm not done with this NAS deal yet but may have to use it as a wheel chock or something.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

I do
Precision Guesswork
based on
Vague Assumptions
&
Unreliable Data of Dubious Accuracy
provided by persons of
Questionable Intellectual Capacity

Now, What would you like done?

joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

joebedford wrote:

"Most cameras default to 72 DPI and at 10 Mega pixels results in a photo with a "native size" of 64"x 48"."

Uhhhh, whut?

[emoticon]

UMM, YEAH.

HERE YOU GO..

[image]

That is a screen capture of the DEFAULTS of a 10 mega pixel picture, I have not altered or changed this file in any way.
None of my digital cameras have a screen even vaguely resembling what you have posted. What program is that screenshot from? This is what show in W10 for my little camera: 180dpi, file size 6.06MB

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Need file repository for sharing large files
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.