|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Electrical help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

Not so. Some do, some don't. Many RV'ers had discovered this problem. I proved it for myself with 2 of my trailers parked side by side. 2002 5th wheel and 2011 Keystone. Neither would work when plugged into a GFI circuit. Trip the GFI outlet in either trailer and the shore GFI would stay activated. It seams to be within the quality if the GFI outlets.

I'm sorry but you're wrong. Do a little google searching and you will see exactly how they work. None of them will have problems playing with another. Some reading
In your case something was rightfully tripping the GFCI and it wasn't because they were in series.

* This post was last edited 02/17/20 10:11am by ScottG *   View edit history

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

cavie wrote:

opnspaces wrote:

It might be your arc reactor going out. [emoticon]I would flip the breaker that it is connected to an see if the GFCI still trips. If all is well with the breaker off then look for a name or number on the unit that sparks and we'll see if we can help.

Please tell me what an "Arc reactor" is! FYI RV's do not use Arc Fault breakers.
[image]

joebedford beat me to it. Just a little humor, hence the winking smilie on the original post.

[image]

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

cavie wrote:

Not so. Some do, some don't. Many RV'ers had discovered this problem. I proved it for myself with 2 of my trailers parked side by side. 2002 5th wheel and 2011 Keystone. Neither would work when plugged into a GFI circuit. Trip the GFI outlet in either trailer and the shore GFI would stay activated. It seams to be within the quality if the GFI outlets.

I'm sorry but you're wrong. Do a little google searching and you will see exactly how they work. None of them will have problems playing with another. Some reading
In your case something was rightfully tripping the GFCI and it wasn't because they were in series.

This is from your link "Some reading"

"A GFCI plugged into another GFCI will tend to result in false trips. But this is true only of full GFCI units, not the units they put in hair driers.

The reason for the false trips is probably that at least some GFCI units put a phantom voltage on the neutral to detect neutral-ground shorts, even with no load. This somehow buggers up the situation.

Whether it will happen, though, depends on the design and sensitivity of the unit."

As a 50 year Master Electrician I know how they work and how to test them. Like I said two different trailers. Same exact problem.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

ScottG wrote:

cavie wrote:

This is from your link "Some reading"

"A GFCI plugged into another GFCI will tend to result in false trips. But this is true only of full GFCI units, not the units they put in hair driers.

The reason for the false trips is probably that at least some GFCI units put a phantom voltage on the neutral to detect neutral-ground shorts, even with no load. This somehow buggers up the situation.

Whether it will happen, though, depends on the design and sensitivity of the unit."

As a 50 year Master Electrician I know how they work and how to test them. Like I said two different trailers. Same exact problem.

Nice picking and editing there but no.
And this is from a retired EE.
But I'm not going to argue with you anymore so go ahead and have the last word.

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

to the OP, there should be a breaker labeled "conv." or similar for the converter. Turn it off and plug in the trailer. if there are no problems then It's your converter, replace it; it's a simple job.

bestconverter.com talk to Randy He'll set you straight.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Electrical help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.