|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battle Born Charging

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Next
Sponsored By:
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This might answer some recent questions.

The table is not accurate wrt to the BB comments--don't go by it by the table itself. Wade through the questions and answers to get the true picture. Takes a while to go through the comments, but that's where the info is.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/charger-compatibility-table/

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The table hasn't been updated in a while. It doesn't reflect WFCO's new lithum charger/converter (which I've confirmed with BB is compatible). There may be others that need to be added to the list. The bottom line is this response I got from BB:

Bulk/absorb 14.2 - 14.6 Volts(we usually recommend 14.4)
float 13.6 Volts or lower
No equalization(or set it to 14.4v)
No temperature compensation
Absorption time is 20 minutes per battery(if it is an option).

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously 4 yrs, 9 mos full-time in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They say the standard WFCO is fine with the BBs, but don't stress that it has to do the advertised 14.4v to work right. We know how difficult it is to get WFCOs to go into boost in many RV set-ups

bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

The table hasn't been updated in a while. It doesn't reflect WFCO's new lithum charger/converter (which I've confirmed with BB is compatible). There may be others that need to be added to the list. The bottom line is this response I got from BB:

Bulk/absorb 14.2 - 14.6 Volts(we usually recommend 14.4)
float 13.6 Volts or lower
No equalization(or set it to 14.4v)
No temperature compensation
Absorption time is 20 minutes per battery(if it is an option).

Rob

Are you sure about the float? Seems like it should be 13.6v or HIGHER, not lower.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" Are you sure about the float? Seems like it should be 13.6v or HIGHER, not lower."

You didn't read the BB replies in the link. [emoticon]

Also note how they distinguish a float from a storage trickle, and how the float should be with working the battery and not while on shore-power and no cycling of the battery if the float is above 13.6

Lots of good info in those BB replies on all sorts of topics raised.

bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

" Are you sure about the float? Seems like it should be 13.6v or HIGHER, not lower."

You didn't read the BB replies in the link. [emoticon]

Also note how they distinguish a float from a storage trickle, and how the float should be with working the battery and not while on shore-power and no cycling of the battery if the float is above 13.6

Lots of good info in those BB replies on all sorts of topics raised.

Actually I did a lot of research on the BB batteries before I installed them over a year ago and at that time the setup in my RV was fine with them. They recommended using an AGM profile on my solar controller since mine didn't have a Lithium setting. I've since replaced with a newer model that has a Lithium profile and it uses a float voltage of 14 for Lithium and 13.7 for all other battery types.

So if the float is to be 13.6 or lower and my batteries bulk charge up to 14+, then I can maintain my charge level with a 6v supply? After all, 6v is less than 13.6v.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They do say 13.6 or lower for float.
They also say the balancing needs 14 or more.
They say this too:

--If you are cycling power in and out of the batteries when plugged into shore power with your 14.6 volt converter, it is completely acceptable and will not cause any issues. If you are plugged into shore power when NOT cycling power in and out of the batteries(such as in a storage scenario) for more than 3 weeks at a time, then we recommend disconnecting the converter. --

However that makes no sense, since on shore power the converter will do all the work and the batteries will not cycle at all. Howinheck is that any different from being on shore power and the RV in storage when they do not want you to trickle charge (assuming that is different from floating with the batts full)?

They do not mind 14plus all day on solar since that drops when it gets dark every day.

So it is all a muddle, but the comments give a general picture sort of. Seems if you do have these batteries, you might need to get a clarification for your exact situation.

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those setting are basically for all lfp batteries not just BB. Depends on the voltage needed for balancing cells.

I've been using Bulk 14.1v absorb (10 minutes), float 13.6v for almost 4 years now with everyday use.

* This post was edited 04/06/20 11:42am by Itinerant1 *

landyacht318

Near a large body of salty water

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very glad the knowledge base and experience with Lithium batteries is expanding.

I chose to sit on the fence 6+ years ago, and while sitting there I figured out how to keep lead acid batteries happy and reach their potential. If my current AGM delivers what I need for a long as my last one did, in 5.75 more years perhaps I will consider Lifepo4, but there might be something better by then.

Glad many of you have made it work for you.
Nice that BattleBorn sells complete units mostly compatible with existing systems designed for lead, with a few minor modifications.

Keep on sharing your experience with implementing and using Lifepo4 through their lifespans, and knowledge gained from it, if you have any.
If you don't have experience, perhaps just button your trap as your opinion is basically inherently worthless. Find some other way to sooth your inner insecurity. Go yell at a cloud.

[image]

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Off-topic but LY, what is your new battery? Same as the previous AGM that did so well?

In my defence (no Li), in the OP I was just drawing attention to the linked info for those who have or are thinking of getting Li, and seeking comments about that linked info from those who do have Li.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battle Born Charging
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.