|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> toad versus no toad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
whemme

Spencer, IA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 26’ E450 V10 powered Class-C averages 8.5 mpg when not pulling my 3000 lb toad, 8.0 mpg when pulling it.

2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are 30' with a toad, and have used Walmart filling stations all over the eastern and western without unhooking. If we are leaving a campground and it is not too far, DW will drive the toad to the filling station, then we hook up the taod while I am filling the MH tank.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

LOG

Austin, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our situation is different than yours. We don't have a toad and never have. We have had a motorhome for nine years, over 60,000 miles. Sure, there are a few times that we have wished to have had a toad. But, they are few. A lot of national parks have free public transportation. Most that do not are close to cities that have rental car agencies. Yellowstone Natl Park, for example, is very close to a nice town that has great RV parks and rental cars. Zion, Bryce, and Grand Canyon Natl Parks have great public transportation. And, discourage private cars in the parks. It is my opinion that if you leave the toad at home, you will not regret it. In fact, unless the toad is your daily driver, you may even consider selling it. I will note that before we got our Class C, we had a Foretravel diesel pusher.

LOG
2005 Chinook Glacier

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My usual was drive the DP someplace and plant it, then use the toad to go here and there, even renting motel rooms on occasion. Going on a trip without a toad was unthinkable 95% of the time!

Now with my little Toyota I never take a toad.

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nuisance? It’s part of RVing, not something to complain about. When life gets too easy, you’re dead!

* This post was edited 02/18/20 06:41pm by Lwiddis *

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I can do is agree with everyone else. Take the toad. Never had an issue getting gas, if it looks tight, stop on shoulder before committing. Go to next gas station if you feel uncomfortable at the first. Also start looking for gas when the guage reaches 1/2.
Extra fuel used, minimal, convenience with toad, priceless.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryDel wrote:

My wife and I currently tow a 4 door jeep wrangler. We are planning a trip out west (from our home in Delaware). We plan to visit as many National Parks as possible. We have always towed a vehicle, but it is a nuisance to gas up in tight crowded gas staions, hook up and unhook, extra weight going up and down mountains, poor gas mileage, etc. We were thinking of going without a tow vehicle and rely on Uber or car rentals as needed. We thought we might save enough on improved gas mileage to pay for car rentals. But not sure Uber or car rentals will be available where we are going. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.

From your profile, it looks as if you have about a 30 foot Class C? In my opinion that length is too long to try and get to destinations or around at destinations without renting a small vehicle or pulling your own.

However, it's a different situation with a smaller Class C. We've had a 24 foot Class C for around 13 years and put over 76,000 miles on it and have never towed or rented. We've traveled all over the U.S. visiting national parks, state parks, private parks, county parks, staying on private land, and exploring out in the middle of nowhere ... plus many other places when making two long trips across the U.S. - one of 9 weeks and one of 10 weeks.

There is something to be said for always having your little home always with you - for quick rest breaks, quick potty breaks, and a hot or cold snack anytime - even when in a National Park parking lot. That's why we went small when we bought our Class C and have never regretted it.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Jack Spratt

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 03:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 26’ Class C and towed our Jeep Liberty out west last fall.
Class C > 5000 miles
Jeep. > 2000 miles
We enjoy riding fire lanes to spot wildlife and would have missed a lot without the Jeep.
Getting gas while hooked up was never an issue.

'11 GMC 2500 D/A 4x4
2017 Big Horn FL3750
Arctic Fox 811
'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 24' C and never have had a Toad per se but... I do have a 6 X 10' cargo trailer {14' overall} that I use to haul either my Indian Springfield motorcycle or our Polaris Rzr side by side depending on what sort of fun we want to have on any given trip.

I guess you could consider either the bike or the Rzr a Toad and they do see duty in that function though their primary purpose is having way too much fun. You have yet see any National Park until you do it from the back of a motorcycle and the Rzr is street legal in most states. We are planning on doing Yellowstone and Grand Teton in June and only need to find a site within 20 - 50 miles of either park and can then easily ride the bike to and through.

We went with the 24' C so as to never "need" a Toad and that has worked out very well even when we leave the trailer, bike and Rzr home. Did a 2 month 7,800 mile coast to coast trip a couple of years ago and never even came close to needing a Toad. It was always nice to know that no matter where we went, even if they only had one site we would fit. Sightseeing and even grocery getting was always easy to do and we spent more then half of our nights "Mooch Docking" {I love that term, LMAO} staying with friends and family. While many had lots of room some did not an any rig larger than ours would not have fit.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

[emoticon]

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Done it both ways. Prefer a towed to see more.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB Chevy 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> toad versus no toad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.