|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Working in California

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
JimR 1

Brandon, South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The following pertains to working for money not volunteering for an out of state (not a CA resident) worker and not a contractor just an every day John or Jane Doe.

Looking for information of any changes in the California requirement that if you earn income you need to get a CA driver's licence and vehicle registrations. I do know that income is taxable for state income tax and federal.

Looking to see if any new laws or exemptions are out there. I have not found any.

And has anyone done this recently.

I am currently volunteering in California now.

JimR

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you ask the people at the workplace you are looking at? They probably deal with it all the time.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you live and reside in a neighboring state but work in CA, so long as you are not using that vehicle as part of your employment (using it for business purposes), you are exempt from registering. I know several who live in AZ and work across the border in California and were told by CA DMV they are exempt so long as they are not making staying in CA a normal part of their life.

If you work in CA and actual reside in CA, or you establish CA as a place of residing (long term RV is included), or you get mail at a CA address, you must get a drivers license and vehicle registration as soon as you start working in the state. I think the key is you are not living or spending nights in CA while you work.

* This post was edited 02/18/20 01:27pm by ItsyRV *

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

JimR 1

Brandon, South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Did you ask the people at the workplace you are looking at? They probably deal with it all the time.

No I have not as there are many but I will check with the one I am interested in.

JimR

JimR 1

Brandon, South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ItsyRV wrote:

If you live and reside in a neighboring state but work in CA, so long as you are not using that vehicle as part of your employment (using it for business purposes), you are exempt from registering. I know several who live in AZ and work across the border in California and were told by CA DMV they are exempt so long as they are not making staying in CA a normal part of their life.

If you work in CA and actual reside in CA, or you establish CA as a place of residing (long term RV is included), or you get mail at a CA address, you must get a drivers license and vehicle registration as soon as you start working in the state. I think the key is you are not living or spending nights in CA while you work.

I think you are correct in most of what is posted here as far as living in an adjoining state and working in CA, but there was a post I belive on this web forum about someone living in Reno that got ticketed for driving to work in CA. That was posted along time ago so who knows now.

I think the term long time is correct (6 months) and you are considered a resident, even if you are in a comma in the hospital.

I have in the past looked at the residency information on the states web site. There they state that more than one half a year (basically 6 months) or when you earn earned income then a drivers licence and registration is required.

As far as getting mail here that alone would not trigger a residency requirement.

Thanks for the replies

jimR

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

William Randolph Hearst only stayed less than six months per year until he was really sick...and income taxes were the reason.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your vehicle is licensed/registered in another State and your only in Calif on temporary basis (working or otherwise) it's unlikely you have to register your vehicle. State won't considered you a resident unless your there for prolonged period of time (366 days as I recall). If your just work camping for a few months I would not sweat it.

Kevin

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/20 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Register as a Ca resident since you're living and working there. Why take a chance. If you get stopped by a cop expect a ticket otherwise.

* This post was edited 02/19/20 11:41am by guidry *

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/20 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimR 1 wrote:

I think you are correct in most of what is posted here as far as living in an adjoining state and working in CA, but there was a post I belive on this web forum about someone living in Reno that got ticketed for driving to work in CA. That was posted along time ago so who knows now.

I think the term long time is correct (6 months) and you are considered a resident, even if you are in a comma in the hospital.

I have in the past looked at the residency information on the states web site. There they state that more than one half a year (basically 6 months) or when you earn earned income then a drivers licence and registration is required.

As far as getting mail here that alone would not trigger a residency requirement.

Thanks for the replies

jimR

I called one of my friend who does this and he explained it this way. so long as you are just commuting, there is no requirement to convert to CA licensing or registration. He said that it would be an unworkable nightmare because you'll need to get a CA registration every morning because you work in CA but need to change back to a NV registration each night because you live in NV. Not possible.

There are triggers and these are when most get in trouble or ticketed. The biggest is if you use your personal vehicle in your CA work and stay in CA during your work. This means you may have a pickup you use in your work and crash at a friends house during the week while working, but go back to your state on weekends. The work, live and utilization rule on the vehicle would apply and require CA registration. The living rule may also be triggered as you're spending more days in CA than at home.

The other major one is the walk, talk and sound like a duck requirement. Pretty much if you do anything that makes officials think you're a CA resident, you may have made yourself one without realizing it. Things like applying for state benefits (other than employee interstate transferable benefits), having an official USPS change of Address to CA (unless a temp vacation like mailing), using resident discounts and services, etc etc. It's kinda common sense, but it can be tricky.

* This post was edited 02/19/20 12:24pm by ItsyRV *

nancyjerry

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/20 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ummm, I would check with your accountant. If you are going to register a car and a temp residence there could be HUGE tax consequences esp when dealing with California.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Working in California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.