|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 Cummins IKE pull

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/20 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

True Medium Duty engine and transmission?

I know the Cummins is available in the many medium duty applications, but what other applications is the AS69RC in? There are other models of Aisin transmissions used in medium duty trucks just like there are other models of Allison's, but what other medium duty truck is the AS69RC specifically used in outside of Ram? I also know that the Powerstroke and its transmission is available from class 2b all the way up to Class 8 trucks(yes there is a class 8 F750). In fact, both the 6R140 and 10R140 were both specifically made for these ligh-medium-heavy duty truck classes.

I think we are at the point where we can call the pick up truck applications of these engines/transmissions true medium duty applications.

I agree and they have been that way for years. This ridiculous argument has been made and counterpointed way more than its worth.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/20 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

I know the Cummins is available in the many medium duty applications, but what other applications is the AS69RC in? There are other models of Aisin transmissions used in medium duty trucks just like there are other models of Allison's, but what other medium duty truck is the AS69RC specifically used in outside of Ram? I also know that the Powerstroke and its transmission is available from class 2b all the way up to Class 8 trucks(yes there is a class 8 F750). In fact, both the 6R140 and 10R140 were both specifically made for these ligh-medium-heavy duty truck classes.

TOO funny, the AISIN is in many Isuzu's just for one. A specific model # is what you are arguing. The AISIN in the RAM has variables of the same. If you want to argue specific numbers that is fine.

When I say TRUE The fact is the CUMMINS and AISINs are used in other medium Duty applications besides RAM.

I am not going to keep this going and don't want to clog this thread us.

The Allison that is used in your tuck is NOT used outside GM in a medium duty application. That's my point.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

I think we are at the point where we can call the pick up truck applications of these engines/transmissions true medium duty applications.

That was my point. What is the point in calling out one as a "true" medium duty engine/transmission when they all are?

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The computer is applying the wheel brakes both truck and trailer."

How do you know if the brakes were coming on the trailer on this test? Maybe the engine was doing what it needed with the trans?

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

Chains? I don’t think so.

Aren’t you limited to about 30 mph with chains.

[emoticon][emoticon]

I think CO requires towing vehicles to carry chains in winter?

Most of Western States require chains to be on ANY vehicle, be it commercial or private us over single or combined GVW of 10,000 lbsto carry chains Nov 1 to April 1. Washington St is that way, been awhile since looking at Idaho and Oregon laws, they were real similar. They go by registered wieghts, not door sticker warranty ratings.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

How do you know if the brakes were coming on the trailer on this test? Maybe the engine was doing what it needed with the trans?

I'm curious about this too. Unless I missed it (very possible), nothing was said about the actual survice brakes coming on.

I've read on this very forum where people have gotten tickets for not having brake lights come on when using an Exhaust Brake on hills. I could be that the mfgr's are activating the lights for safety or some laws specific to some state. If so, are they disconnecting the trailer lead? If not, then the controller is going to sense that and turn on the trailer brakes.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

When I say TRUE The fact is the CUMMINS and AISINs are used in other medium Duty applications besides RAM.

And all this means is...Cummins and Aisin do not manufacture trucks. Not really a profound statement that you do not find these in Cummins or Aisin trucks as they do not exist.

I guess with that logic Cummins and Aisin are not really TRUE manufacturers because they don't build their own trucks.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

TOO funny, the AISIN is in many Isuzu's just for one. A specific model # is what you are arguing. The AISIN in the RAM has variables of the same. If you want to argue specific numbers that is fine.

I am not going to keep this going and don't want to clog this thread us.

Yes, other Aisin transmission models just like other Allison transmission models are in many medium duty applications. But what other application is the Aisin AS69RC specifically in? Duramax and Allison are used in medium duty applications just like the Powerstroke and TorqShift so going by that standard, all three are "true medium duty engine/trans".

* This post was edited 02/20/20 09:57am by ShinerBock *

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Not surprised about the time going up as it’s very similar to the Duramax.

Also I don’t like that truck automatically applies the brakes.

I agree on the trailer brake application. BUT did the trailer brakes come on?

How about the fuel economy you were so proud of?

Looks like 4x4ord answered your brake question.

I’m interested in 66 mile fuel economy test. As for the Ike pull I would say the mpg reported by the trucks computer are within the margin of error so no clear advantage there.

* This post was edited 02/20/20 10:49am by FishOnOne *

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Travlingman

Jonesborough, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Right past the 2 minute mark they say that it is using the truck and trailer brakes and also making the lights come on both.

2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 Cummins IKE pull
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.