RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Over weight? Does it bother you?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Over weight? Does it bother you?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
restlessways

Limbo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/20 11:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would never exceed tire or axle ratings. My dually has a GVWR of 11,500, and I am fairly sure whatever camper I end up with will put me over it. That's why I am going to have a spring shop install another leaf in the packs. I will weight my truck first, then truck with camper to know exactly what I have, then I will account for some gear and tell the spring shop what additional payload I am looking for.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 03:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

It took till about 2008 when I got pulled over by DOT officer,

What state was that in??

California.
I think California is unique state, where starting around 2005 they issue stickers for declared GCVW.
Meaning you have to estimate weight of your trailer and pay adequately for the sticker.
Few years ago 30k lb sticker cost me over $600.
Did not notice any other state follows the rules.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does it bother me? No, not now.

The truck and camper in my sig is a few hundred lbs over 14K, so it’s technically overloaded. But, as has been discussed many times before, the F450 pickup GVWR is intentionally capped at 14K to keep it a class 3 so it won’t compete with the cab and chassis F450. I used to have a 2010 F450, and can tell you that the frame, suspension, and axles were the same, and it had a GVWR of 14.5K. I never weighed it with the camper on, but I suspect it was just under 14.5.

My previous truck that hauled this camper was a 1995 F350 CC DRW with a GVWR of 10K. It scaled at over 12.6K with all our gear loaded for a long trip, and as shown in the pic below, I wasn’t worried about it either.

[image]

The truck by itself weighed 7280 lbs with two people and full fuel tanks. With the camper loaded, the front axle weight went up by less than 50 lbs. But at least it went up, not down.

[image]

There’s a lot that can’t be seen in the picture though that contributed to my “no worries” attitude. In addition to the Alcoa Hotshot wheels and Michelin XPS tires that you can see, the inner wheels on the rear axle were higher rated Accuride steel from the F450 van of that generation. I had two extra leafs in the overload springs and airbags, plus Rancho 9000 shocks. The brakes had been improved somewhat, but there was only so much you could do with the rear drum brakes. I put a US Gear exhaust brake on it to keep from using the service brakes so much on long downhill grades.

Before doing all that (and many more performance upgrades), I was looking at newer trucks. Ford was in the 6.0 Powerstroke era by then, and I chose to sit it out. When the F450 pickups came out, I jumped on one as soon as I could afford to because as far as I was concerned they had everything I was wanting on a heavy TC hauler and then some. Higher rated axles, better brakes, 19.5’s, exhaust brake, and a much tighter turning radius. The only thing I didn’t like about the 2010 was the 6.4 Powerstroke, which is why I have a 2016 now.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Does it bother me? No, not now.

My previous truck that hauled this camper was a 1995 F350 CC DRW with a GVWR of 10K. It scaled at over 12.6K with all our gear loaded for a long trip, and as shown in the pic below, I wasn’t worried about it either.

[image]

The truck by itself weighed 7280 lbs with two people and full fuel tanks. With the camper loaded, the front axle weight went up by less than 50 lbs. But at least it went up, not down.

[image]

There’s a lot that can’t be seen in the picture though that contributed to my “no worries” attitude. In addition to the Alcoa Hotshot wheels and Michelin XPS tires that you can see, the inner wheels on the rear axle were higher rated Accuride steel from the F450 van of that generation. I had two extra leafs in the overload springs and airbags, plus Rancho 9000 shocks. The brakes had been improved somewhat, but there was only so much you could do with the rear drum brakes. I put a US Gear exhaust brake on it to keep from using the service brakes so much on long downhill grades.

Before doing all that (and many more performance upgrades), I was looking at newer trucks. Ford was in the 6.0 Powerstroke era by then, and I chose to sit it out. When the F450 pickups came out, I jumped on one as soon as I could afford to because as far as I was concerned they had everything I was wanting on a heavy TC hauler and then some. Higher rated axles, better brakes, 19.5’s, exhaust brake, and a much tighter turning radius. The only thing I didn’t like about the 2010 was the 6.4 Powerstroke, which is why I have a 2016 now.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Thanks for posting that on your old '95 Ford DRW..I have basically the same thing and the axle rating from Sterling is 8250# for the second gen 10.25.Easy enough to upgrade to the 10.5 gears but I have been curious just how large of a TC I could put on it without exceeding the 8250 by much..My guess was an AF-990 would just about do that and your Lance 1121 would put it over by 450#...I am only 6000# even now with my 9.6 non-slide..

The wife has me looking for a larger TC but I'm fighting tooth and nail not too for the ease of backcountry camping...LOL

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/Reese solid bar extension/buddy heater/3 inverters/3/4" Horse mat cushion-Non slip/happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags /Yamaha Rhino/Winch/locker UTV/Zieman trailer

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No problem. I really liked that old truck.

It had about 250K miles on it when I sold it, and almost 200K of that was hauling the 1121. I had the differential cover off the rear axle around 200K to change the fluid, and the old fluid and the gears looked like new. It still had a lot of miles left in it as far as I could tell.

[emoticon][emoticon]

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

California.
I think California is unique state, where starting around 2005 they issue stickers for declared GCVW.
Meaning you have to estimate weight of your trailer and pay adequately for the sticker.
Few years ago 30k lb sticker cost me over $600.
Did not notice any other state follows the rules.

that's what I was guessing.....

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

the only thing I didn’t like about the 2010 was the 6.4 Powerstroke, which is why I have a 2016 now.

[emoticon][emoticon]

My work truck is a F-450 with the 6.4 PS.

I am not impressed with it at all. In fact I think its a slug.

Hopefully next season they'll get me a new truck. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 02/22/20 10:00am by specta *

northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im not sure I understand all the aspects of being over weight... I need some help.
Ive got a 2006 f 350 DRW with "Tow Boss" basically that means among other things that I have a 4:30 ratio rear end and the GVWR is 13000lbs the code for the rear end is 4L. The rear GAWR is 9000 lbs (is this the Axle rating?) The rear tires are Michelins (I believe they are rated at 3000 + or - lbs) so am I wrong to multiply the rating of the tire by 4 (4 tires on the rear of truck) so approx 12000 lbs + or - depending on the actual tire rating.(btw the front GAWR is 4850 lbs) All numbers regarding the GVR are from the sticker in the door jam. The vehicle by its self (no camper) but other wise ready to go, people fuel tools is 7800lbs weighed at a certified scale. Have not weighed with the camper on yet. It does handle fine, no problem with sway or sagging braking etc. The camper is a 2002 Lance 1130 with generator, AC, NO slide.

Kaytag, I know Minnesota used to use a similar system for flatbed trailers. When you register your trailer you declare what weight you want to be able to haul and of course pay for. You got a sticker for your plate that designated what weight you were registered to haul. My trailer had a D sticker. I was never stopped by any LEO for weight. Im sure there were people who did get stopped for weight issues. At the time I was in Minnesota my truck did not have a weight sticker, maybe because I didn't register my truck as a farm vehicle.

* This post was edited 02/22/20 10:10am by northshore *

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/20 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

restlessways wrote:

I would never exceed tire or axle ratings. My dually has a GVWR of 11,500, and I am fairly sure whatever camper I end up with will put me over it. That's why I am going to have a spring shop install another leaf in the packs. I will weight my truck first, then truck with camper to know exactly what I have, then I will account for some gear and tell the spring shop what additional payload I am looking for.

Please “Splain” how adding spring effects your tire and / or axle ratings?
Thx.

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/20 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

mountainkowboy wrote:

That being said we had a 97 F350 dump truck at work. GVWR was 12,500lbs, it weighed 13,200lbs empty and we regularly would put another 4,000 to 6,000 in the bed. It never broke down and nothing was bent and was still being used when I retired in 2011 with over 200K miles on it.

They are much stronger than you think.

Was it door sticker that said GVWR at 12,500 ?
I had 1999 F450 flatbed, who originally was registered at 9000lb weight, what whas truck weight.
It took till about 2008 when I got pulled over by DOT officer, while having backhoe on the truck and officer read the label saying
VW at 9000 lb
GVW at 15,000lb
That was the time he gave me fix-it ticket who send to DMV to pay for the 15k weight sticker.

That was the factory Ford door tag. In 1990 (the year of Red) you could get the same EXACT TRUCK without a bed with a 1,000lb higher GVWR on the sticker, so until I get close to 12K gross....I'm not worried about it. I already carry a 4,500lb camper.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Over weight? Does it bother you?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.