RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: New generator for new rv. Recommendations

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New generator for new rv. Recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
SpecialOne

Toronto

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 03:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey there!
I've bought an RV last week, it's my first RV ever, so I'm really excited [emoticon]
Currently, I'm choosing a generator for my new RV from this list. I think about the Honda generator and I'm open to your advice!
Thanks.

* This post was edited 02/24/20 10:14pm by SpecialOne *

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 04:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats and welcome to the forum.
Tell us about your RV, make/model etc. and what you want to run with the generator. It will help us give you a more accurate answer.

You generally cannot run several appliances at the same time with a 2000 watt generator.
Enjoy your travels.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2000 watt units will generally run your converter to charge batteries, a larger unit is usually required to operate an AC or more than one larger appliance at a time. (larger being microwave, coffee maker, hair drier, etc) 3000-3500 watt units are common among folks who want to run an AC from the generator frequently.
Inverter generators are much quieter than construction types, but with the lower noise comes a higher cost.
Brands by preference
Honda, Yamaha, Champion, Firman, at this point the second tier takes over with most being Chinese manufacture, most are functional clones of existing Honda or Yamaha designed engines. Predator, Ryobi, Lifan etc fall into this group. Service on these models can difficult to find, but parts for the engines are available through the importers.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

about 2000 watt generator recommendations and logic.

First an inverter generator.. Sweet clean power Yes they cost more but they are clean and the non-inverter "Contractor" grade if you look at the power waveform they can be quite scary.

The inverter generators are also way easier on the ears than the contractor types. IN fact all "enclosed" generators are but fully enclosed traditionals generally stop at 1000 watts.

Plus Inverter generators can be used in Tandem (Two in parallel) so if you need say 3500 watts to kick start an air conditioner. A pair of them with a parallel kit.. Job done.

Now brands. HONDA is a very well known, established and EXPENSIVE brand but unlike all the others they have a genuine honest to need fuel pump.. and an "optionally sealed" gas tank (you open a vent before you start or it stops after a short run).

You can replace the gas cap with another that has a hose attached to an "Extended run" tank Run it for a lot more hours from the extended run tank.

Now Yahama claims they have a better designed (longer life) engine also about the same price... I'm not sure the Fuel Pump is not the more important thing.

Several "Knock off" brands such as Harbor Freight Predator, Champion and others have mixed reviews. but mostly good.

About the only ones I'd go against are the 2-stroke engine types and Kipor due to differences in the sound quality.. They may well be no louder on a DB meter but the QUALITY of the sound is different and .. Well Much more annoying.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/20 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Hondas are top quality, durable and relatively quiet. I spent the extra money to buy one and after 10 years of reliable use, I don't regret the extra cost.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/20 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are going to need at least 2200 watt
I have two of the 2000Hondas and they do every thing I need. BUT it is a pain to handle two of them, to parallel them. I went with the smaller ones because I can lift and carry them without much effort. Like your first responder said, we need to know your setup and usage.
A 3500 would probably be ideal, but at over a hundred pounds one man handling becomes an issue.

Come back and let us know your decision. We armchair observers have put a ton of thought and effort into this and we need the gratification that good closure gives us.

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my opinion, the best buy for the buck Clicky
YOMV

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/20 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The gen set shown in the above link, a Champion 4000 watt open frame, is listed at 64 db. My 2000 watt Champion inverter is listed at 54 db. That is a huge difference.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure if you have Harbor Freight north of the border. This would be my genset of choice. 3500 watt genset
I have two Honda 2000s and parallel kit , Not that thrilled with them.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

biggest decision regarding generator is how quite do you want yours to be
in addition to what you need to power

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New generator for new rv. Recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.