RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: How much would YOU offer?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How much would YOU offer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
restlessways

Limbo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wanted to get some opinions on a used truck camper purchase. I will post a couple scenarios and I'd like to get some feedback on what you would offer the seller, and even how you would go about it if you were going to make the purchase. All of these campers are priced WAY above NADA, which is why I ask the question. I am not out to insult sellers, but I'm also not interested in grossly overpaying for a camper.

Scenario 1

Year: 2019
Low retail: $26,450
Average retail: $31,850
Seller's asking price: $35,000

Scenario 2

Year: 2016
Low retail: $20,650
Average retail: $24,850
Seller's asking price: $27,000

I will add that both campers are clean, and so condition is not an issue. Thanks for your input!

* This post was edited 02/26/20 12:09pm by restlessways *

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

looks to me that the asking price is slightly above "average". is/are the unit/s above average? to get an "average" there must be units out there sold for more than average.
how much to offer, depends on how much haggling do you want to waste your time doing, how much you want the unit, and local prices of similar units.
bumpy

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Treat RVs like very uncommon cars. There is really no way to know how much you should offer. The sample size is so small that the only way to know what they are worth is see how much they sell for.

At the end of the day, if it’s worth it to you, or not worth it to you, that’s all that matters with respect to how much you’ll pay. It’s not worth more because the seller wants more.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot depends on condition, features, extras, availability, location, etc, etc, etc.

Without knowing at least the brand and model really no way to say.

It could be a unit that is not very common or it could be a top of the line unit that is in new condition and that is why the prices are higher.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It can also depend on two other factors as well. One is how big a hurry you are to buy, and second, how big a hurry they are to sell. The less hurry you are in, the better deal you will find. The bigger hurry the seller is in, the more they are willing to deal the price down. I prefer to be on the much slower purchasing side. I plan well ahead before I purchase anything. I look for sellers that want, or need to sell quickly. This will always get you the best deal. This generally only applies to private sales. Dealerships are seldom desperate to sell anything. Don't be scared of insulting someone with a lower offer. It just a game. You want to pay less, they want to collect more. Somewhere is a middle ground. Cheers.

EfonFred

West Coast

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, I’m not the world’s best haggler and actually hate the process but...the last couple of big purchases that I really settled on THAT is exactly what I’m looking for? I simply said, don’t know about you but I’ve never sold anything for what I was asking, you are probably the same, what is the real number you are willing to accept? I was very comfortable with the answer and pulled the trigger. Probably a ball park starter point is around the average retail +/-.

The problem we had with our last camper purchase is we wanted a model that had been discontinued for a couple years. And it was for a short bed, which narrowed availability. It wasn’t like there were a ton of them out there used. All has to be taken in to consideration. Good luck!

2011 Ram 3500 Mega DRW
2015 Adventurer 86SBS

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/20 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And how much was it new?

I don't bought a used car because I don't want to buy someone else's headache. Seem worse for a used RV.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing. I already have a camper. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/20 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't buy new because I don't want to pay more than what its actually worth. Seems like those you listed are the same; price is more than they're worth. Like others said, make an offer you are willing to pay and see what they are willing to sell it for. If it is just listed, then expect a "no thanks". If it has been on the market a while, hopefully they counter.

northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where are you located I think camper prices can be location based, ie campers in San Francisco area are going to be generally more than in rural areas. When I was looking for a used camper a couple of years ago, the prices were all over the place, and NO one seem to know about the NADA price guide lines. I came to the realization that generally campers are worth what you are willing to give. If the camper is in good condition, its the floor plan and has the options you want, then its worth more to you. When I was looking I came across ALL kinds of people trying to sell truck campers, some were trying to take advantage, others knew nothing about what they were doing or so it seemed.
Your two scenarios look to be newer units, so condition should not be an issue, again I don't think you can go by the brand model year and it should = a certain price, its what they want out of the unit and what your willing to give, what its worth to you, if you cant come to terms move on.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How much would YOU offer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.