RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Slide out awnings yay or nay?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Slide out awnings yay or nay?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
solman

Deep in the heart of Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/20 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello All,
I just got a new fifth wheel with three slideouts. I never had slideouts before so this is new to me. I did a search on slide awnings this forum, I know that some people love them and some do not. I thought I would post my own query on this and see what the latest thought are on the matter. If you don't have the awnings I assume you have to climb a ladder and clean the roof on the slide. One fellow told me the rubber wiper will take care of it. Guy at the rv center said just blow them off and close them up, is this acceptable? Do you need to wipe them down dry in the rain?
Thanks

Solman
2011 F-250 6.2L 4x4 3.73 8'bed
2020 Keystone Cougar 5er 315RLS
pullrite 16k hitch

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best way to clean your slideouts is to not park under trees. OK, a bit obtuse, but pine trees especially.

I've never had slideout awnings, but I sure don't wish I had them.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/20 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a bedroom slide where your bed slides out, you will want an awning (Slide Topper) for that slide. On our first camping trip with our 5th wheel we were under trees and it rained hard. It sounded like a freight train. Then when the rain stopped, I listened to drip drip drip drip the rest of the night. Since I put the slide topper on, I sleep like a baby. As for the other slides, I agree with 2oldman. Stay away from camping under pine trees or late fall when the leaves drop and you will have little issue.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/20 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn’t cost a dime to try out your new RV without awnings. After a while, reevaluate.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it depends on how you use your RV. We park under trees a lot and the covers keep junk from geting jambed into seals (guy is wrong about the wiper blade). They also keep direct sun off the thin roof of your slide and cut heat intrusion tremendously.
If you don't care about either one of these issues then there's not much need for them.

I would avoid them if you camp in the wind regularly.

I added one to my last TT and I ordered them with the latest trailer (which BTW, are JUNK).
I would not go without a cover again but I would elect to install them myself so I know what I'm getting. Even the cheapest model you can buy is far superior to the ones manufacurers might install. If you do order them with the new trailer, getting the alumaguard option should ensure you get quality awnings.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Rolin

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I vote for slide out awnings.

It really helps to keep the stuff off the top of your awning. Minimizes any moisture that may enter the RV if it is raining when you retract your awning. I know that you have rubber seals but they are not perfect.

The downside to a slide out awning is if you have high winds you need to retract your slide out. We normally retract the slide out anyway if we have high winds and rain so that is not a problem for us.
Rolin

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don’t have slide toppers the junk from trees, snow can accumulate and cause issues when you bring them in. It is much better to have them than not.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't be without them. We generally are parked under trees, and they keep leaves, twigs, and small branches off the top of the slide. They block direct sun so the slide interior stays cooler. They keep the rainwater outside where it belongs, if you have to bring the slides in while it's raining.

I have read that some trailers have slideouts with no flange to trap stuff. That would lessen the benefits quite a bit.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn’t be without them.

2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/20 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn’t have one on my previous trailer with 1 slideout. Wasn’t too bad, but i always had to make sure there was nothing that n top of it.
I now have 3 slide outs all with awnings and it is very nice to have them. I vote for awnings.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Slide out awnings yay or nay?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.