RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Connecting Satellite Thru Outside Jack

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Connecting Satellite Thru Outside Jack

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ricky5924

Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Guys. New to this forum but not a new RVer. We recently purchased a 2020 Thor ACE 33.1 motorhome. Have not camped in it, only had a chance to drive it from dealership to home, and had to go back to work. Anyway, my question is that it has a single outside cable jack, which I assume, is for a park cable connection. I have had this on previous coaches and when I try to tie in the Dish Tailgater (Wally receiver)at this connection, I received no signal, I can run the cable thru a window to the box and everything works fine. I am thinking, although I don't know that this will be the case with the Thor also. I don't want to have to run my satellite cable thru the window. Does anyone know of any type of mod that can be done to make the outside cable jack useable to tie the Tailgater into?

Thanks in advance

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/20 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The "Cable" jack coax runs through a switch box where you select cable or OTA to the TV. It may be a simple single push-button wall plate that also houses the OTA antenna power injector or it may be a more complex multi-source entertainment selector box, but either way it interferes with the power feed from the Wally to the Tailgater. Running a more direct line is the best option that leaves the cable/OTA setup intact. Feeding a new coax from the sat receiver location to the panel where the cable jack is can be a chore, but only needs to be done once. Or you can feed the coax through a slide seal or window each time you set up.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume that the outside cable jack passes through a box with various switches (for roof antenna, cable jack, etc). The signal to the Dish Tailgater cannot go through that box.

What I did was to look at the lines in and out of the box (what is it called, anyway?) and find the the cable jack input. Unplug the cable jack line from the box's input. Use a short extension coax (if neccessary) to connect the Dish receiver directly to the line from the cable jack.

RedRocket204

Colorado mountains - Got trail?

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just install your own weather proof coaxial plate and connect it to a new inside coaxial wall plate. Simple and there are no splitters or other items that could filter out the signal.

That's what I did.

I love me some land yachting

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me add to my reply above. I had two outside lines, labeled "satellite" and "cable", so I ran the first directly to the Dish receiver and still had "cable" running through the switch box.

Last season, a blowout severed both of my TV coax lines. I had a new coax wall plate installed near the TV (RedRocket204's solution). A line goes directly to the Dish receiver.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/20 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RedRocket204 wrote:

Just install your own weather proof coaxial plate and connect it to a new inside coaxial wall plate. Simple and there are no splitters or other items that could filter out the signal.

That's what I did.

Same here since I only had the one outside coax connection.

lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wait a second, a 2020 coach should have a cable AND a satellite connection. Have you asked the dealer about this or called Thor. I would investigate further before trying to run an additional cable.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6

ricky5924

Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/20 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lryrob9301 wrote:

Wait a second, a 2020 coach should have a cable AND a satellite connection. Have you asked the dealer about this or called Thor. I would investigate further before trying to run an additional cable.

No I have not. I was only home in time to get it home from the dealership. The cable in jack is on the side of the motorhome, not in a basement compartment, so, I would think that if there is another jack for satellite, it would be right beside it. I'll check it out better when I get home, but, I don't think that there is two.

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/20 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Specs say it is prewired for sat. Maybe the coax you are looking at is for an outside tv.
specs

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

rexmitchell

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF wrote:

I assume that the outside cable jack passes through a box with various switches (for roof antenna, cable jack, etc). The signal to the Dish Tailgater cannot go through that box.

What I did was to look at the lines in and out of the box (what is it called, anyway?) and find the the cable jack input. Unplug the cable jack line from the box's input. Use a short extension coax (if neccessary) to connect the Dish receiver directly to the line from the cable jack.

This is what I did on my old trailer. Just bypassed the box that had the splitter or whatever in it, bought a single coax wall plate and wired it directly. Problem solved.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Connecting Satellite Thru Outside Jack
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.