|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Help Me Choose My Next Unit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
nalts

Twin Cities, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 11:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey there!

It's been forever since I've been around. I used to have a Starcraft Hybrid, but sold it years ago.

Now, after taking care of my elderly parents, I finally have the opportunity to pick something up and try again.

I have an F-150 with a 5.4L available to tow or be towed. Edited to add: It has a 6-1/2 foot short bed, and currently has a full topper on the bed.

I am very active with hiking, biking, kayaking, skiing, among other things. No idea if I'll want to bring an ATV along.

My girlfriend and I did a day trip to Toroweep Overlook last December. Having the ability to do a camping trip like that appeals to me.

I work for myself and am thinking of hitting the road for the next year or so, and have my Phoenix based girlfriend join me when she's able. I don't think my three teenage boys will join me, but then again who knows?

The biggest question I'm trying to figure out is what's the best type of RV to go with?

-Class A and tow the truck (or buy a Jeep)
-Class C and try to tow the truck (or buy a Jeep)
-Travel trailer to pull with the truck.

What are the pros and cons that I should be considering?

EDITED TO ADD: If I go with a used Class A, here's one for sale in my area that would be an inexpensive way to test things out:

2000 Mountain Aire

* This post was last edited 03/06/20 10:31am by nalts *   View edit history

"There are only two things you 'have to' do in life. You 'have to' die and you 'have to' live until you die. You make up all the rest."
- Marilyn Grey

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the budget?

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/20 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You didn't mention 5th wheel trailers. If I didn't need my Suburban the rest of the year I would have bought a 5er. More living space per foot of length and, it seems like, more space period inside.
It may be too late to visit the RV shows but if one is in your area I'd definitely suggest attending as many as you can get to.
If you haven't decided once camping season starts visit campgrounds and talk to owners of rigs you are interested in. All owners like to talk about their home away from home.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/20 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

You didn't mention 5th wheel trailers. If I didn't need my Suburban the rest of the year I would have bought a 5er. More living space per foot of length and, it seems like, more space period inside.
It may be too late to visit the RV shows but if one is in your area I'd definitely suggest attending as many as you can get to.
If you haven't decided once camping season starts visit campgrounds and talk to owners of rigs you are interested in. All owners like to talk about their home away from home.

F-150

nalts

Twin Cities, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

You didn't mention 5th wheel trailers.

Thanks for your reply Dick. I have an F-150. Unless I buy a new tow vehicle, I don't think that's a good option. [emoticon]

Edited to add: I looked up the towing specs of the truck. Apparently it's rated at 8,000 lbs. capacity for a 5th wheel.

Thoughts?

* This post was last edited 03/06/20 09:12am by nalts *   View edit history

nalts

Twin Cities, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

What is the budget?

That's a good question, as I'd rather not spend all I have on a depreciating asset.

If I go with a Class A or Class C I'll be buying used. Maybe $50k? Maybe more? Probably more comfortable spending less if that's possible?

I have a pretty wide range available.

GKAbbott

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were travelling/camping alone, I would get an A Liner. Easily towed and set up by one person. Leaves room in truck bed for ATV or motorcycle.

I've had pop-ups, an A Liner, a 35 ft 5th wheel, and a couple of class C's.

It all boils down to personal preference.

nalts

Twin Cities, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GKAbbott wrote:

If I were travelling/camping alone, I would get an A Liner. Easily towed and set up by one person. Leaves room in truck bed for ATV or motorcycle.

I've had pop-ups, an A Liner, a 35 ft 5th wheel, and a couple of class C's.

It all boils down to personal preference.

That's an interesting option, and one I hadn't considered.

I once owned a 'full-sized' hybrid. While I loved it, I'm not sure I want something I have to set up. There's something to be said about making a mid-day stop and being able to use the kitchen.

I appreciate you taking the time to chime in! Thank you!

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Id go travel trailer, used. you already have the tow vehicle and can spend less than half your budget and still have a nice rig. heck likely 25%. more time for adventures and the constant maintenance. plus no extra drive train to maintain.

* This post was edited 03/06/20 08:56am by an administrator/moderator *

nalts

Twin Cities, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

Id go travel trailer, used. you already have the tow vehicle and can spend less than half your budget and still have a nice rig. heck likely 25%. more time for adventures and the constant maintenance. plus no extra drive train to maintain.

Thanks Jebby!

This was my initial gut reaction, but since it's been 10 years since I've owned an RV, I realized I have so much to re-learn.

I appreciate your comments!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Help Me Choose My Next Unit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.