RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Mfg. (new vehicle) warranty question

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Mfg. (new vehicle) warranty question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It pays to get to know your dealer, especially a smaller dealership.

When I was customer shopping for an rv the dealer asked me to join them all for lunch in the lunchroom. The next time I went there, I ordered and paid for everyone's lunch, I sat with them all again. I bought a new rv from them and I don't have any problems with warranties. I also visit my dealership just to say hello when I don't need anything. It's a day trip in our rv for us.
I know personally from listening in on conversations with manufacturers that they have tried to convince the dealer to wiggle out of a repair.
You need to build rapport with your dealership and sometimes, if need be, they will dig into their own pocket to take care of a refused warranty issue. Allow your dealer to make enough profit on the sale to offer you that option. Money well spent ! [emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Thus is not normal behavior by a customer though, nor is it expected. And a bit strange, unless maybe small dealer, small town everyone knows each other scenario. And you must have a lot of spare time.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So we have people with new RVs speculating because they don't know their own warranty and people with old RVs speculating how it should be, but don't have a clue either......I say they should honor the warranty start date as the first day you go camping and free ice cream cones every month!
Lol

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

It pays to get to know your dealer, especially a smaller dealership.

When I was customer shopping for an rv the dealer asked me to join them all for lunch in the lunchroom. The next time I went there, I ordered and paid for everyone's lunch, I sat with them all again. I bought a new rv from them and I don't have any problems with warranties. I also visit my dealership just to say hello when I don't need anything. It's a day trip in our rv for us.
I know personally from listening in on conversations with manufacturers that they have tried to convince the dealer to wiggle out of a repair.
You need to build rapport with your dealership and sometimes, if need be, they will dig into their own pocket to take care of a refused warranty issue. Allow your dealer to make enough profit on the sale to offer you that option. Money well spent ! [emoticon]

Not to keep this off topic, but when my RV needs to go in for repairs, I take everyone in the shop donuts. I chat with them etc. My rv is always fixed right and I never have to wait. Having a relationship with your dealer can make all the difference.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may find that some new vehicle components, like tires, are warrantied by the tire manufacturer. In that case the tire manufacturer will go by the date stamped on the tire(s). At least, at first, they will try to. What happens next is up to you.

Chum lee

specware2020

Pacific

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ItsyRV wrote:

It's possible the warranty is showing based on manufacture delivery date because no new information has been entered such as a selling dealer. Once a selling dealer (should be the RV sales center) processes the new vehicle sales info, the warranty should revert to the day of first end user sale. The RV manufacture isn't considered a first user sale purchase unless they registered the vehicle for use themselves. Did you get a copy of the "2019 GMC Limited Warranty and Owner Assistance Information" booklet with the RV? If so, it will state the day the warranty starts based on the first sale of the vehicle.

That’s it!!

Thank you, thank you @itsyRV, you have directed me to the concrete exhibit, the very contractual clause in print that I can finally put my fingers on. Now I just need to communicate with the dealer intelligently (and nicely) now that I know exactly what needs to happen.

This forum is a great place to get information/help as all the members are generous in providing their first hand experiences or solid knowledge on all kinds of issues/questions brought in. I thought I should at least provide update about the resolution, which until now has been all but abstract. If you are like me who vaguely knows how it (the subject) should work but is less certain about the interworking then read on (in the advent of COVID-19 virus scare, I’ve got nothing better to do than to read&write…):

The very exhibit I needed, and that @itsyRV directed me to is the auto maker’s Limited Warranty booklet. Except it is not the "2019 GMC Limited Warranty and Owner Assistance Information". Rather, it’s the “Cutaway Chassis Limited Warranty & Owner Assistance Information”. I have been reading the former version I downloaded from GM website and couldn’t find any relevant information there, until @itsyRV’s pointer gave me the clue. (Please note, that the two versions, and the T&C clauses are NOT the same. And as far as I am aware, the latter that came with the rest of the HM doc packet can only be purchased online.)

The official term GM uses to address the subject question is “Delayed Warranty Start”. The exact wording is the following:

Warranty on chassis which have been approved for a delayed warranty start will commence at the date and mileage the chassis was sold to the first retail owner. The extension is from the original date of delivery to the body company…

That is, the warranty starts on the day of delivery to the RV maker. Extension to the warranty period CAN be made with a Delayed Warranty Start Application by the dealer.

Unlike the common perception though, this Delayed Warranty Start extension is NOT by default, and certainly is not without caveat. This warranty extension for RV is 24 Months or 6,000 miles max. So, a 2020 model year MH that uses a 2018 chassis, for example, it will be likely out of luck in this regard, likewise, a brand new RV sitting in the dealer’s lot for over 2 years will lose part of its mfg. warranty. Please also note that dealers’ demo units are NOT eligible for the extension, which is specifically stated in the clause.

It is however less clear to me as to what would happen if this application was not filed prior to the first warranty service. Whether the GM dealer could or will reconcile the warranty date they obtained from their system and us providing the proof of purchase date on the spot is highly questionable - simply based on my past experiences dealing with such establishment… I hope our fellow forum members can provide their experience to prove me wrong.

As @way2roll said, this whole thing should not be overly complicated. The key word here is SHOULD. A lot of “should” in the world did not happen as such. If SHOULD is the rule of the nature world then we won’t need those stinky laws, contracts, or even the lawyers.

grobvikos

New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your warranties start when you buy the MH - regardless of when they were manufactured.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Mfg. (new vehicle) warranty question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.