RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Snowbird parks and Coronavirus

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

 > Snowbird parks and Coronavirus

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
westernrvparkowner

montana

Senior Member

Joined: 11/29/2008

View Profile



Posted: 03/09/20 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2 wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

....snip.... COVID19 is responsible for about 4/1000th of 1% of the deaths in the US.


In case you haven't noticed, it just got here. That figure is about as meaningful as saying the death rate from automobiles was less than 4/1000th of 1% in 1901.
Approximately 38,800 people in the US were killed in traffic accidents in 2018. That is more than 1500 times the number of people in the US whose deaths are attributed to COVID19. Yet there is no reporting that automobiles are "carving a path of death" like the article quoted said was the case with the virus. This entire media frenzy reminds me of how the Weather Channel hypes every coastal thunderstorm. Despite their best efforts to convince us otherwise, most everyone will live to see the sun rise the day after COVID19 fades from the headlines.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2002

View Profile



Posted: 03/09/20 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

TomG2 wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

....snip.... COVID19 is responsible for about 4/1000th of 1% of the deaths in the US.


In case you haven't noticed, it just got here. That figure is about as meaningful as saying the death rate from automobiles was less than 4/1000th of 1% in 1901.
Approximately 38,800 people in the US were killed in traffic accidents in 2018. That is more than 1500 times the number of people in the US whose deaths are attributed to COVID19.
while I agree that the media has overhyped this; your comparison of 38,800 in 52 weeks is not reasonable since there has been deaths (22) in the USA to Coronavirus for just over 1 week and the first likely case of local transmission was just under 2 weeks ago. The exposure and deaths/week are not at a steady rate as is the case for automobile deaths.

It’s just getting started in the USA and we don’t really have a good sense of just how bad it will be.

* This post was edited 03/09/20 01:44pm by BCSnob *

dturm

Lake County, IN

Moderator

Joined: 01/29/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/09/20 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw two bluebirds in a tree and a dead frog this morning. These observations, while valid have as much significance on the potential spread and mortality of a new infectious disease, coronavirus as the number of people killed in auto accidents. None is a valid way to evaluate what's going on. If you are saying that the deaths we eventually have from corona are less somehow because the absolute numbers are less than the flu or auto accidents... well that's just cold.

Comparing flu to corona is just mildly more significant. We have a very large percent of the population protected from the flu from previous mild infections or vaccination. Every individual who is protected acts as a roadblock to the spread during flu season. Yet we still have 10s of thousands of deaths each year.

No one has protection from corona. There are no roadblocks. We have to slow the spread so that our health care system does not get overwhelmed. Each person has to act responsibly to mitigate the spread. Not everyone is going to be infected, obviously. But, the potential is a little frightening.

This isn't hype. It's just running the numbers. That's why businesses, cities, counties and countries are cancelling group activities and travel.

Until we get accurate numbers from wide spread testing, caution is the only way to responsibly proceed.


Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV


Check out blog.rv.net


pasusan

Northernmost PA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/13/2009

View Profile



Posted: 03/09/20 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^ Thank you Dr. Doug for telling it like it is. [emoticon]


"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

Senior Member

Joined: 09/09/2003

View Profile



Posted: 03/10/20 04:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarbaraOK wrote:

It is the fear of something new that we have no experience with that has people sacred. Add to that the problem with senior citizens who have health issues (and most of us over 70 have some health issue) and it becomes a concern. Yes, a lot of it is ignorance on the part of most people. But my husband is having bypass surgery next Monday so you can be sure that we will be staying in this week just to make sure that he isn't exposed to ANYTHING (this is also a high flu season in Arizona) that would interfere with his recovery.


Best wishes for your husband, Barb. You need to be diligent. Last week I had to make a whirlwind trip back to Indiana as my mother was in the hospital. She had been in the week before for an infection. While she was there, my sister was outraged with one nurse who was visibly sick. Her nose was raw and red, she was coughing and had laryngitis. My sister told her she needed to wear a mask. She said she was fine and refused to don a mask. She got down right in Mom's face. They released Mom and later that night she developed wheeazing and other respiratory problems so my sister took her back to the ER. The surprised doctor asked if she had been around any sick people. Sis said YES, the one nurse. Mom ended up staying another week while they cleared all that up. A complaint was made to the "Joint Commission" by my niece who is a nurse practitioner. So the next day the CEO from the hospital showed up asking questions. My sister was home sick (imagine that) so I filled him in on all things related to this nurse, who happened to be working on the floor that day. I told him she was NOT to set foot in Mom's room. We considered her the source of Mom's secondary respiratory infection as well as my sister's. Interestingly, once that nurse was off shift, another nurse went to her work station and disinfected everything she had touched. As I told the CEO, all she had to do was wear a mask. I mean, she shouldn't have been there anyway, but if a patient's family thinks you should wear a mask, better do it.

Thankfully my 95-year old Mom recovered and is doing well at home now.

Hopefully nothing like that will happen in a cardiac unit, but we must be our own advocates.

Dale


Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?


TomG2

Central Illinois

Senior Member

Joined: 03/07/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/10/20 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Approximately 38,800 people in the US were killed in traffic accidents in 2018. That is more than 1500 times the number of people in the US whose deaths are attributed to COVID19. Yet there is no reporting that automobiles are "carving a path of death" like the article quoted said was the case with the virus. ....snip......


You want to equate auto deaths with a medical problem? Back in the 1950's, auto deaths were on the rise and we did something about it. Safety belts, testing, air bags, etc. We can do something about the Coronavirus, or stick our heads it the sand. I am glad that we have safety belts in all our vehicles.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/10/20 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

I saw two bluebirds in a tree and a dead frog this morning. These observations, while valid have as much significance on the potential spread and mortality of a new infectious disease, coronavirus as the number of people killed in auto accidents. None is a valid way to evaluate what's going on. If you are saying that the deaths we eventually have from corona are less somehow because the absolute numbers are less than the flu or auto accidents... well that's just cold.

Comparing flu to corona is just mildly more significant. We have a very large percent of the population protected from the flu from previous mild infections or vaccination. Every individual who is protected acts as a roadblock to the spread during flu season. Yet we still have 10s of thousands of deaths each year.

No one has protection from corona. There are no roadblocks. We have to slow the spread so that our health care system does not get overwhelmed. Each person has to act responsibly to mitigate the spread. Not everyone is going to be infected, obviously. But, the potential is a little frightening.

This isn't hype. It's just running the numbers. That's why businesses, cities, counties and countries are cancelling group activities and travel.

Until we get accurate numbers from wide spread testing, caution is the only way to responsibly proceed.


I asked our parks management over the week end if they were talking to corporate about when group activities might be scaled back, suggesting that it would be prudent to get ahead of the curve on this issue. The answer back was yes they were in communication of corporate and the answer was they are waiting for more guidance from CDC and other agencies. If one watches much news on this coronavirus, you most likely notice that scientist are being push away from the cameras and mics, while national politicians down play the risk. Hopefully state level guidance will be forth coming.


2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!


John&Joey

Summer-North,Winter-South

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/11/20 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

...If one watches much news on this coronavirus, you most likely notice that scientist are being push away from the cameras and mics, while national politicians down play the risk. Hopefully state level guidance will be forth coming.


Guessing you just saw the classified health meeting news where those same scientists don’t have clearance, but the politicians do. Kinda like RV snowbirds who actual travel around versus those that sit in one place for decades pretending to be something they really ain’t yet making choices for all.

You have a very valid concern about snowbird parks, high risk groups, and a virus with no current cure. Anybody who spent time in a snowbird parks understands the kennel cough that goes around. Especially bad are those older style winter parks. Hard not to touch cards in those activities only 55+ parks.

joebedford

Sheltering at home

Senior Member

Joined: 09/03/2003

View Profile



Posted: 03/12/20 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sun Communities just cancelled all indoor activities at all their parks effective Saturday.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/13/20 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today Cal-Am resorts announced that all resort ticketed events, sponsored activities and events will be cancel effective Monday the 16th for resorts and right away for communities. Refunds will be automatically refunded for paid events. Cal-Am has 17 resorts and 14 Communities in Arizona and communities in 8 states, which would be 10's of thousands of residents. Chris

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

 > Snowbird parks and Coronavirus
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.