|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> 12v house battery replacement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bigcheezuz

Planet Earth

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't seen this asked anywhere.

So I am looking to replace my house batteries and wanted to know what would be the best replacement for full time living. I've seen that they range from $350ish-$4000 I don't really want to sell a kidney but if it's for the best then so be it
Any suggestions and or opinions are greatly appreciated

Edit: I'm new to forums and also full time rving
Edit 2: I have a thor chataeu 24fs with an extra auxiliary battery and I'm not sure what the stock batteries brand is

* This post was last edited 03/08/20 02:54pm by Bigcheezuz *   View edit history

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can swing the initial higher price AGM's will give the best performance/bang for the buck. Whether or not you choose to go 12 volt or 6 volt golf carts will probably be determined by how much room your existing battery bay has as GC's are taller.

There is no such thing as a maintenance free battery but the routine servicing of AGM's is a lot easier, less to do. I got two pure deep cycle Group 27 AGM's at Batteries Plus for a little under $400 a year or so ago and that was the best deal I could find on line or over the counter.

Good luck.

[emoticon]

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/20 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For fulltime use when you are almost always in a campground with electric service?

For fulltime use when you mostly boondock/dry camp? If this is the box you check, have you completed an energy survey to determine your battery size (amp hour) need?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my AGM's finally give out, I'm going with one Lithium battery. Read some great information on Battle Born lithium website. Only weighs about 30lbs and can be discharged down to 0% without hurting the unit. Just plain tired of watching the voltage meter on the wall and when it gets close to 11 volts, having to start the generator or engine. I dry camp most of the time and although this one battery costs about $1,000, seems like the life span is way more than what I've seen out of my AGM units. Can drain to nothing at least 3000 times and still the battery will perform at 80% after that. It's worth looking into before putting out $450 for 2 heavy AGM's that weight about 80lbs each.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 01:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Bigcheezuz,

I agree with Desert Captain getting a pair of 6V-AGM batteries as long as your battery compartment can handle their taller height.

We went through two pairs of 12V wet acid batteries over the years with our Phoenix Cruiser. Each pair lasted only 3 years and their performance decreased significant with each year. I decided to replace the second tired set with a pair of 6V-AGM batteries. That was in the spring of 2015. Five years so far and their performance continues to be excellent.

I bought the 6V-AGM Duracell-brand batteries from Sams Club for $180 each, but I wonder if they discontinued that battery because I can't find them any longer on Sams Club's website.

Doing a quick search, I found Batteries Plus selling the Magna Power 6V-AGM for $275 which is a lot more than Sams Club. CLICK HERE to see the battery on their website. Order on-line and pick-up at your local store for a 10% discount.

I would consider one 12V or two 6V lithium batteries, but our on-board Tripp-Lite charger/converter/inverter does not handle lithium technology.....and I really like our Tripp-Lite.

* This post was edited 03/09/20 09:07am by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/20 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot of variables in the decision of which batteries to buy, so a recommendation based on no criteria is futile.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The absolute best batteries are lithium, but they are not worth the cost if you are connected to shore power most of the time.

At the other end of the spectrum, the best "bang for the buck", especially if you boondock are a pair of 6V golf cart batteries.

In between, for occasional boondocking and the least amount of fuss, is the largest 12V AGM that will fit in your "hole". Don't waste your money on "marine/RV" batteries. They really are not worth the extra cost.

EDIT : I have to "eat my words". Sam's Club has a Group 31 AGM Marine/RV battery on right now for $160 !

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ What he said.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If full timing connected to electric, go with an affordable sealed 12 V marine/rv battery.

If not connected and there is room, go with 2 ea. 6V Gc2 batteries in series as long as they'll fit. Maintenance free (agm) are about $300 per battery. If OK adding distilled water once a month, floaded cell 6v batteries are about $100 each. If there isn't room, go with the biggest and baddest 12 v rv/marine that can be afforded.

If there is a kidney distributer near by, lithiums are Cadillac but have limiting environmental conditions. That is as long as you still have a spare kidney.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a very interesting consideration. I wonder what it's physical dimensions are.

A quick search, I found this.......Group 31 batteries are approximately 13" x 6-13/16" x 9-7/16"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> 12v house battery replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.