RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone canceling trips due to Corona virus?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> Anyone canceling trips due to Corona virus?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/20 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heading to Charleston Monday AM. Staying at Charleston AFB Fam Camp. Called them today, and they said they are open, no restrictions.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

SailingOn

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/20 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A striking number of things have been cancelled leading up to pi day.
We were scheduled to leave in 2 weeks, island hopping in Greece for 10 days, then a long weekend in Vienna (culture) then two weeks in Israel.
Last week Israel shut down visitors from Italy and some other places and what was important to me, Austria. So Vienna is out.
This week Road Scholar cancelled 600 tours including ours in Greece - too many "older" folks at risk. So Greece is out.
Earlier this evening Israel shut down cafes, restaurants, museums, hotels, schools, meetings with over 10 people for the next 5 weeks. So that's out.
Our church has cancelled services, Sunday school, small groups for the next two weeks.
Across the US, we're testing (some of the) people who are sick, and isolating them if positive. We're surely missing many.
Recent observational studies strongly suggest that SARS-CoV-2 is being spread before people are symptomatic - see this. So, staying away from symptomatic people isn't going to work.
If 30% of us (not 50 or 70) become infected, and the mortality rate is 1% (not 2 or 3.4), a bunch of us "older" folks aren't going to make it.
So a secluded forested spot, with maybe mountains and a lake, is sounding better and better for the next couple of months.
- george
- MD, Duke, '72

Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
AJ: 2010 F150 ExtCab, 2WD, 6.5' bed, 5.4L V8, 6A, Max Tow: 2030# payload.
AD5GR

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/20 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YES! But, “not” from our fears of getting the “bug”! We had a little 3500 mile (round trip) vacation planned, to visit family and friends....and watch two of our grandsons play baseball for a highly ranked 5A HS baseball team. Schools are closing, and baseball stopped for foreseeable future! >[emoticon] Hopefully, we can “catch” (pun intended), some games when this craziness is over!

Our biggest concern is being “stuck” away from home “if” the SHTF scenario starts. There is already hysteria over something far less (so far) problematic than a typical flu season.....if you want to actually look at the CDC’s own numbers! If we were full-timers, there would be little to no concerns. But, in a worst case scenario.......I want to be safe, secure, well fed, and away from the masses. So......we’ll ride it out at the “compound”! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/20 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

There is already hysteria over something far less (so far) problematic than a typical flu season.....if you want to actually look at the CDC’s own numbers!

This is faulty reasoning and dangerous. You cannot look at absolute numbers present at any one time to compare risk.

Again, THIS IS NOT LIKE TYPICAL FLU.

With typical flu we have a good percentage of the population immune because of previous infection and recovery and people immune from vaccination. We still have 10s of thousands of death every year with a mortality rate of 0.01 %.

NO ONE HAS IMMUNITY TO THIS CORONAVIRUS. Current mortality rate is calculated at around 3 %, but that is probably a little high because we have been unable to do sufficient testing. It will spread and modeling provided by epidemiologists that do this for a living predict what could happen if we do nothing. Their modeling is proving out in Italy and Spain right now.

Our best case scenario is to slow the spread so that the number of individuals needing intensive care at one time don't overwhelm our health care system.

Dr. Doug

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

Our biggest concern is being “stuck” away from home
Yeah, me too. I'm in So CA and need to get to NM soon. I can't imagine driving being restricted, but who knows? Kind of a nightmare scenario.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/20 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dr. Doug, I’m “not” attempting to make light of this situation. As with any other rampant disease issue....one should use precautions. However, “if” the reported numbers of cases/fatalities are anywhere near accurate, then.....this has/is being “over sensationalized”! Should we be cautious.....yes! Should we join the rest of those lemmings that are in a state of panic, fighting in the grocery store isles.....No! And we will not join the masses standing in line....remember the “avoid crowds recommendation”! We have lived with the philosophy that, “No one should “ever” place themselves in a position of panic buying”! At this point, the greatest threat we have as a nation is....overreaction! Panic buying can critically affect those that actually need various items to protect and feed their families. Those that were ill prepared and chose “panic” over reasoning and logic, using the recommended practices.....will make a bad situation much worse!

Whether this is real or overly “hyped” ......This should be a “wake-up call” to all of America, as to how susceptible we are as a nation, to any kind of worldwide crisis! All of us should be prepared for a “bump in the road”. We have been spoiled by the ability to almost daily go to the store for staple items. The term “self-sufficient” is apparently a term foreign to many people!

We are perfectly capable of “riding this out” at our home for many months, if forced to. We’ll see how it looks “when the dust settles”! Time will determine “if” we are truly in a time of a “human extinction” pandemic or over- sensationalism by the media. memtb

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

Time will determine “if” we are truly in a time of a “human extinction” pandemic or over- sensationalism by the media. memtb
Neither of those are true.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All campers should cancel their trips, especially May and June up the northern west coast. Also, forget about heading from Seattle to Spokane, and south through Utah. Then, there is no way you want to head towards Vegas, Kingman or Phoenix. Nor would you want to go from Phoenix towards Sacramento. It's just too risky.

Oh.....those are my plans, to go to those areas. Leave me plenty of open campgrounds and open roads for my trip.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/20 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

All campers should cancel their trips, especially May and June up the northern west coast. Also, forget about heading from Seattle to Spokane, and south through Utah. Then, there is no way you want to head towards Vegas, Kingman or Phoenix. Nor would you want to go from Phoenix towards Sacramento. It's just too risky.

Oh.....those are my plans, to go to those areas. Leave me plenty of open campgrounds and open roads for my trip.

It is possible that Washington State will have travel restriction by then.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/20 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

memtb wrote:

Time will determine “if” we are truly in a time of a “human extinction” pandemic or over- sensationalism by the media. memtb
Neither of those are true.

Please explain! memtb

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> Anyone canceling trips due to Corona virus?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.