|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Next
Sponsored By:
Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 01:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought it might be nice to have a thread to talk about practical concerns. I'll start [emoticon].

What should a solo traveler do, if they are camped somewhere they don't know anybody, and get seriously ill -- too sick to shop for groceries, but not sick enough to be hospitalized?

Besides concern for my parents, this is the other thing that is sending me home early. I imagined myself lying in bed in my RV, calling local churches to see if some volunteer would bring me some food. I didn't want to do that.

Obviously this is something that could happen with many diseases or injuries. But honestly, it's not something I had thought about before now.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 02:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obviously, stock up on supplies before you get the symptoms. That's kind of a catch-22 answer. You need to go to stores to get supplies and others will be doing the same thing.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 03:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not much different than for many people living in a house.

When we sold the house:
- Family was a 2hr drive away.
- We had enough food to last for a week or two (same in the RV)

If it really came down to it, we likely would have been in a very similar situation. If I'm so bad that I can't make food, I'm probably going to the hospital.

PS: I hope Churches are smart enough not to send untrained people out to corona quarantined people...seems like a great way to spread it. Likewise, I don't want family to get it, so less likely to fall for that if I'm further away.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 04:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Per the CDC, one of the early symptoms of the corona virus is a low grade fever that gradually increases.(Admittedly, that's also an early symptom of the flu as well.)

I'm now taking my temperature morning and night with one of those digital thermometers. If I see a fever developing, I will seek medical aid.

I would recommend the same to boondockers. Check your temp regularly, and if a fever is developing, time to leave the boondocks and get back to civilization.

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 05:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first step is to declare the state of emergency. Denial gets us further behind.
For example, one expensive mask, gloves, appropriate suit, etc is needed in order to get out and offer help. I know one person who has the equipment, but now he is afraid to get out,.....for fear of being robbed of his mask.
However, if most RVers decide to do what IMO we should do, IMO the RV industry will collapse.
The appropriate leadership first needs to come from the highest office.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

jdb7566

minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/20 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please, enough. The panic being perpetrated by many on this Forum and elsewhere, is becomming worse than the virus itself. Panic purchases, hoarding, create shortages. Case in point, you may be hard pressed to find hand sanitizer at your local Wal-Mart. Use of common sense seems to be lacking.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who's panicking here?
People are looking for guidance from friends and people they know, not some politicians concerned about the bottom line.

jdb7566 wrote:

Please, enough. The panic being perpetrated by many on this Forum and elsewhere, is becomming worse than the virus itself. Panic purchases, hoarding, create shortages. Case in point, you may be hard pressed to find hand sanitizer at your local Wal-Mart. Use of common sense seems to be lacking.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heading to the hospital because you show a low grade fever just clogs the hospital with people who may not need to be there. That takes up space from people who do need to be there.

Low grade fever? Contact your doctor for a test before clogging up the hospital. And be aware there is no vaccine, cure, or any real treatment for corona virus, so what are they going to do with you if you do have it?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio, we share some of the same concerns. Getting sick on the road is -and always has been- a possibility. The difference I see coming at us is the potential for shortages in available health care, and the likelihood of some form of travel restriction, whether it’s regional or a personal isolation need. We travel with 2 dogs as well, so if we both became significantly affected we might need to find boarding for them on short notice.

On the one hand, this appears to be similar to influenzas, and we all know how to cope with that. And yet governments are responding with travel lockdowns and quarantine, which is not the typical response for that situation. So we have an epidemic of FUD, if nothing else. In such circumstances, it seems prudent to remain close to where you have the best resources to adapt to uncertainties.

The worst thing IMO will be the economic damage. Our economy isn’t built for people behaving prudently, it’s built on a system of conspicuous consumption.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a feeling that if we ever have a real pandemic, we’re going to get a idea of what Medicaid For All will be like.

That wasn’t a Freudian slip.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.