|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Sagging headliner

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
BillHoughton

West of the Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/20 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The headliner on our 2007 Itasca Navion is sagging:
[image]

I'll be grateful for advice on how to reattach it, and also for any advice on whether this Means Something (say, water leak), or if it's just age.

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/20 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cut an edge and look and feel for a leak.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gotta peel it off and spray glue it back on. Better left to an auto upholstery shop.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be concerned that you have a leak vs just age. I have had car headliners sag but usually ten years older than your rig. I would make some calls to auto upholstery outfits and discuss whether they fix sagging liners and have any experience with RV's.

Kevin

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/20 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This could also be caused from the foam backing deteriorating from wrong type of foam or adhesive being used.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1995brave wrote:

This could also be caused from the foam backing deteriorating from wrong type of foam or adhesive being used.

I agree. This was a common problem back then.
There were a few fixes that you can view on the Winnie owners forum. Gluing using 3M or stapling marine carpet in place after removing the old stuff were common fixes.
Being that its a tight area to work in I would try a professional auto upholstery shop .

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

1995brave wrote:

I agree. This was a common problem back then.
There were a few fixes that you can view on the Winnie owners forum. Gluing using 3M or stapling marine carpet in place after removing the old stuff were common fixes.
Being that its a tight area to work in I would try a professional auto upholstery shop .

I will also go along with this,it happened to my Winnie,the foam backing deteriorated and the fabric sagged. It had to all be removed,a very messy job. It was replaced with the carpet type that is now in most RVs

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

BillHoughton

West of the Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, everyone. I wrote Winnebago, too, and got this useful answer this morning: "We have seen instances like this where the headliner adhesion has let loose. Unfortunately, the only way to make a proper repair is to remove the old fabric and glue up new fabric or just replace the whole panel with the fabric already glued to luan paneling. This can be quite the task depending on how much fabric is coming loose from the panels. Depending on where and how much it is falling, you may be able to secure it using batt strips, upholstery tacks or rosettes. Those are just a couple of options that we have heard other owners doing."

This implies that there is something up there to which I can attach screws/tacks. Well, that'll be another fun project, unless I succumb and let an upholstery shop invade my wallet.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/20 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillHoughton wrote:

This implies that there is something up there to which I can attach screws/tacks. Well, that'll be another fun project, unless I succumb and let an upholstery shop invade my wallet.

As I said before on My Winnie I had the same problem,there is Lauan under the fabric and I first started with the Headliner Repair Caps they screwed into the Lauan and worked for a while. The problem was that the it started in a very small area but as time went on the foam and adhesive just started to come loose in larger areas. It is a stop gap that may work out for you if it doesn't get any larger.

If it does then you may have to do as I did and take it all down.

Good luck!

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/20 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 1984 Toyota Mirage had the "bed curtain" thing going on. It all came down during the course of one trip. The foam backing turned to dust and just let go all at once. We sold the rig like that. Fortunately there were cabinet and trim features that held most of it in acceptable condition, but not well enough in the cab-over area.

Here are a few pics I took for the sale ad.

[image]

[image]

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Sagging headliner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.