RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Good Sam Roadside Assistance: Very disappointed with Good Sam

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Very disappointed with Good Sam

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Central Lake RV'er

Central Lake Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/20 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were on our way south for a quick breath of warm air on Saturday, Feb. 29 at 9 p.m. or so when the serpentine belt on our truck broke just 5 miles short of our destination for that night.
We managed to coast into the Cherry Blossoms Pilot Travel Center at Exit 129 on I-75 south in Georgetown, KY, before totally losing power, where I called Good Sam.
After giving the call center a great deal of information, it was determined that it would take several hours, if not all night, to get our truck and RV towed to a repair center, where because the next day was Sunday, we would have sat like chickens until the repair center opened up on Monday.
An effort was made by Good Same to get a mobile mechanic to us that night, but after talking to the mechanic myself it was determined that the mechanic was 80 miles away and would not come out at all until Monday.
And no, Good Sam would not tow us to a nearby motel-only to a repair center. And the call center operator said she could not locate a motel near a repair center, she wasn't authorized to do that. But she wouldn't tell us which repair shop Good Sam wanted to send us to, either, so we could look it up ourselves.
I hung up the phone.
We spent the night, which was cold, in our RV in the travel center and turned on the propane on the RV stove to keep warm. In the morning we were VERY fortunate to talk to an employee who was kind enough to contact another mobile mechanic who was right in the area, who went out of his way to get us back on the road and on schedule later that day. We will always be grateful to Shawn DeVaughn, the employee at that Pilot Travel Center. Without him we could very possibly still be there.
I am very disappointed in Good Sam, to say the least, and will NOT be renewing my insurance next year...I had JUST renewed it for this year before this event occurred, if it had occurred a few weeks earlier, I would have saved myself $120.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boonie Box = upper radiator hose, lower radiator hose, serpentine belt (old parts in decent condition will do), fuel filter.

Good Sam Care Team

Everywhere

Administrator

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Central Lake RV'er,

Thank you for your time and posting. I would first like to apologize for the problems and experience received with your recent request for service. If able will you please send a PM with your contact information. The information and post will be shared with our leadership Team for review and follow up.

Thank you in advance,

Mark
Good Sam Customer Care

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a Motel 6 and a Quality Inn right across the street from the Pilot you were in, and at least 2 or 3 truck repair centers within a few hundred yards of same. As far as truck, or any other repairs, on a Saturday night or a Sunday, that's always going to be hit and miss. When things go bad, it's usually also the wrong place and/or the wrong time. I know, I've been there, too.

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Lwiddis

Bishop area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/20 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of your complaints seem a bit too demanding. In LA good luck getting your TV repaired on a Saturday or a Sunday. Doesn’t the contact specifically say towing to a repair facility?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Central Lake RV'er wrote:

We were on our way south for a quick breath of warm air on Saturday, Feb. 29 at 9 p.m. or so when the serpentine belt on our truck broke just 5 miles short of our destination for that night.
We managed to coast into the Cherry Blossoms Pilot Travel Center at Exit 129 on I-75 south in Georgetown, KY, before totally losing power, where I called Good Sam.
After giving the call center a great deal of information, it was determined that it would take several hours, if not all night, to get our truck and RV towed to a repair center, where because the next day was Sunday, we would have sat like chickens until the repair center opened up on Monday.
An effort was made by Good Same to get a mobile mechanic to us that night, but after talking to the mechanic myself it was determined that the mechanic was 80 miles away and would not come out at all until Monday.
And no, Good Sam would not tow us to a nearby motel-only to a repair center. And the call center operator said she could not locate a motel near a repair center, she wasn't authorized to do that. But she wouldn't tell us which repair shop Good Sam wanted to send us to, either, so we could look it up ourselves.
I hung up the phone.
We spent the night, which was cold, in our RV in the travel center and turned on the propane on the RV stove to keep warm. In the morning we were VERY fortunate to talk to an employee who was kind enough to contact another mobile mechanic who was right in the area, who went out of his way to get us back on the road and on schedule later that day. We will always be grateful to Shawn DeVaughn, the employee at that Pilot Travel Center. Without him we could very possibly still be there.
I am very disappointed in Good Sam, to say the least, and will NOT be renewing my insurance next year...I had JUST renewed it for this year before this event occurred, if it had occurred a few weeks earlier, I would have saved myself $120.

I recommend you call Good Sam customer service and ask to speak to a supervisor. Share your story and give the name of GS operator who did not help you. Your call was recorded and the supervision can go back and listen to the full discussion with the operator. Ask for some reimbursement for your time lost or any costs.

Central Lake RV'er

Central Lake Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/20 10:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK "There's a Motel 6 and a Quality Inn right across the street from the Pilot you were in, and at least 2 or 3 truck repair centers within a few hundred yards of same."

Not at that exit-or at least, not on that side of the freeway. All we had around us was fields. Georgetown has several exits.

We have already communicated with GS and are waiting to hear back from them, which we haven't as of tonight-two days after we contacted them. I will try again tomorrow...

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/20 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Central Lake RV'er wrote:

MDKMDK "There's a Motel 6 and a Quality Inn right across the street from the Pilot you were in, and at least 2 or 3 truck repair centers within a few hundred yards of same."

Not at that exit-or at least, not on that side of the freeway. All we had around us was fields. Georgetown has several exits.

We have already communicated with GS and are waiting to hear back from them, which we haven't as of tonight-two days after we contacted them. I will try again tomorrow...

You were southbound, so yes, the motels were across the freeway on the northbound side. Oddly enough, one or both of those Pilot Travel Centers (there's one on both sides of that exit) also has/had a truck repair, as well. At least their website says it does. I think I stopped there back in February, northbound, for fuel, coffee.
Good luck with it. Hope you get some satisfaction from GSERS. They've always been pretty good for me.

Tripalot

Golden Horseshoe, Ont. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/20 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is another example of why we try not to travel at night. Fortunately we are retired and have time so we attempt to avoid night time travel - it is no fun doing repairs or changing a flat in the dark.

2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/20 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tripalot wrote:

This is another example of why we try not to travel at night. Fortunately we are retired and have time so we attempt to avoid night time travel - it is no fun doing repairs or changing a flat in the dark.

Agreed. We've found that it's a lot easier to hit "things" on the freeways after dark, so we try to shut it down before dusk.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Very disappointed with Good Sam
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.