|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Taaadaaa! Took the plunge. Airbags on the Class A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TWZMYJP

Richland, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What made you go with airbags over something like the Sumo springs? I'm debating between them and only have direct experience with air bags.

'18 Jayco Alante 31R

RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TWZMYJP wrote:

What made you go with airbags over something like the Sumo springs? I'm debating between them and only have direct experience with air bags.

bought the bags off Ebay before learning about Sumosprings. If I had to do it over, I would look carefully at Sumo. Nothing wrong with the bags, the placement might be a bit more forward on the leaves than I thought (thinking directly over the axle) but nowhere to bolt it down.

Time will tell. These were Airlift 5000 models. Off Ebay for about $400ish cost me 4 hours of shop time to have it installed. AND they found the sway bar mounts all rotted. All things considering, the spring shop wanted $1250+ to add a leaf. They also would have found the sway bar rotted.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/20 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have air bags on my 08 Bounder, I run 50 lbs in back and 20 lbs in front, you dont want to much presure in front or it will ride hard, I also have all new Koni shocks and new poly sway bar bushings and my ride is so much better than it was in stock condition..

RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

I have air bags on my 08 Bounder, I run 50 lbs in back and 20 lbs in front, you dont want to much presure in front or it will ride hard, I also have all new Koni shocks and new poly sway bar bushings and my ride is so much better than it was in stock condition..

I\ll let you know in a couple of weeks if the bags and bushings helped the sway, and ass drag.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had Sumo springs on one coach and went with air bags on another rig. The Sumo springs are not adjustable and actually just replace your original rubber bumper stops. With the air bags I can adjust for a nice ride or pump them up when the cross winds pick up to stabilize the ride on the highway. Since we traveled a lot in the Great Plains area, which is known for high winds, the air bags enabled us to stay on the road longer without fighting the cross winds. Mine had the on board compressor and dash control that allowed me to inflate or deflate my four corner air bags.

RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

I had Sumo springs on one coach and went with air bags on another rig. The Sumo springs are not adjustable and actually just replace your original rubber bumper stops. With the air bags I can adjust for a nice ride or pump them up when the cross winds pick up to stabilize the ride on the highway. Since we traveled a lot in the Great Plains area, which is known for high winds, the air bags enabled us to stay on the road longer without fighting the cross winds. Mine had the on board compressor and dash control that allowed me to inflate or deflate my four corner air bags.

what compressor did you use? Are your bags independent of each other or did you hook the two bags into one line?

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RustyMacIntosh wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

what compressor did you use? Are your bags independent of each other or did you hook the two bags into one line?

You can a order a complete set of air bags with compressor, controls and gauges, I have all the stuff with my air bags and can raise or lower the front and back separately.

[emoticon]

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 11:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rusty
Thanks for the pictures
I thought the air bags are usually put behind the axle
Anybody else got photos of their airbag install for the Ford F53 RV chassis ? Richard ?
Part numbers ?

This has been a long time coming and i want to be sure to purchase the correct items

It's been

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Racklefratz

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

This has been a long time coming and i want to be sure to purchase the correct items

Easy solution: Diesel pusher. No need for aftermarket addons, correct items will already be in place, and the rest takes care of itself. Just sayin'

2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a DP a Safari Sahara
Bought this Gasoline Bounder
And sold the DP
I can manage most maintainance and repairs on this one myself

On the DP the most i could do was oil and filter changes, or anything electrical

All the mechanical was too big too heavy and TOO Da#$ expensive in a shop

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Taaadaaa! Took the plunge. Airbags on the Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.