RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Newbie looking for advice!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Newbie looking for advice!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jjg73

North East, PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good evening!
I'm looking at purchasing a travel trailer. Looking at a 2013 keystone passport ultra 3180. It looks like a very nice rig, inside and out. I haven't looked at all the components functioning just yet but I will do that soon. It's from a dealer, and they are asking 16.5. is this a good beginners trailer and what defects hshould I keep an eye out for? I have myself, a wife and a son and we plan to camp at least two weekends a month and love having space to entertain. Would like to know what a reasonable offer at a dealer would be on it and if it is a good enough rig to purchase!

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Price would be OK for a garage kept trailer, but they are rare. Since it has a few years on it, and likely stored outdoors, there will be some degradation of exterior surfaces. You need to inspect the roof, caulking and all soft parts for aging. Water intrusion is common and will destroy a trailer quickly, so check everywhere for stains and soft spots. If you find anything that is suspect, do not buy. Appliances and most everything that can be easily removed can be repaired, but rot in the roof, floor and walls should be thought of as terminal cancer.
The one thing that I don't like about that particular trailer is that it is big with small water tanks.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice above. Avoid anything that looks like a leak - especially if they claim it has been repaired.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Lwiddis

West & above Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep looking, looking and looking as you keep your eye out and plan! Entertain inside the TT or outside? Too much for a seven year old TT.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All that Lynnmor posted and also I would check tire mfg. date. May need replacing if 3-4 years old.

I bought 2 used ones in the last few years and I did good, except for the tires on one of them. 3 years old and first trip out, 2 blew on me.

I would probably offer 13,500 and see how it goes...

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked NADA to see what the trailer is valued at?

Jjg73

North East, PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

Have you checked NADA to see what the trailer is valued at?

Yes they say between 15-18

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Price would be OK for a garage kept trailer, but they are rare. Since it has a few years on it, and likely stored outdoors, there will be some degradation of exterior surfaces. You need to inspect the roof, caulking and all soft parts for aging. Water intrusion is common and will destroy a trailer quickly, so check everywhere for stains and soft spots. If you find anything that is suspect, do not buy. Appliances and most everything that can be easily removed can be repaired, but rot in the roof, floor and walls should be thought of as terminal cancer.
The one thing that I don't like about that particular trailer is that it is big with small water tanks.

X1, Small tanks especially the gray tank(shower and dish water) can be negatively effecting your trips. Black should be at least 40 gallons, you can always bring extra 1 gallon plastic containers of fresh water. I always carry two 1 gallon containers of water in the shower to use to flush the toilet when you are on the road.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

look for water marks really good they have spray paint that will cover them up. see water marks run. even if they say its been fixed. the damage is rotten wood you can,t see.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check www.rvtrader.com. You can list model, year, location and find what others are listed for.
I saved $2000 when buying my 2019 Wolf Pup 16BHS that way. Nearest one was 40-45 miles away, bought one 160 miles away in neighboring state. Big title hassle but that's another story ;(

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Newbie looking for advice!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.