|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Germs, viruses and fuel pump handles and doors

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" wonder if there’s any way to know if the rapid spread of Covid19 in Italy had anything to do with cultural habits like bringing your own grocery bags to the store? [emoticon]"

Well, I can honestly say my bags have not been to China. [emoticon] When you cram that many people into a small area, northern Italy, any kind of infectious outbreak will spread very quickly. Plus, lots and lots of old people. I read that most of the fatalities in Italy were people over 85 and the overwhelming percentage of them also had contributing factors: heart disease, diabetes, respiratory problems.

"I have no control over where everyone else’s bags have been before being placed in the common area where mine will be."

Do you have any control over where all that food came from, and how it was handled before being placed on the shelves?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Do you have any control over where all that food came from, and how it was handled before being placed on the shelves?

I don't, but at least they are handled by commercial employees who at least in theory operate under guidelines and in the case of production, inspections. It's not perfect but better than no control.

There's also a difference between being contaminated by a potential source or two versus every customer who came before me. Some "throwaway" things we do provide a sanitary benefit which seems to not be considered in the debate. Honestly I'm not really sure whether reusable grocery bags will cause more disease spread but I'm not sure anyone really knows.

wgriswold

Lake Tahoe

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do know that I now have to buy plastic bags where before the ban I reused the ones from the grocery store. I am not sure that that is an environmental win.

I am especially annoyed that the CA legislature bribed the grocery industry with my money by requiring them to charge me for paper bags I formerly got for free.

2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

I don't, but at least they are handled by commercial employees who at least in theory operate under guidelines and in the case of production, inspections. It's not perfect but better than no control.

There's also a difference between being contaminated by a potential source or two versus every customer who came before me. Some "throwaway" things we do provide a sanitary benefit which seems to not be considered in the debate. Honestly I'm not really sure whether reusable grocery bags will cause more disease spread but I'm not sure anyone really knows.
Reminds me of the video of the person taking ice cream from the freezer licking it and putting it back in the grocer freezer then posting the video on YouTube

2oldman

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was referring to Riven's question.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

wnjj wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Reminds me of the video of the person taking ice cream from the freezer licking it and putting it back in the grocer freezer then posting the video on YouTube
Oooh, that's gross.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

I've been doing it for 20 years, so no biggie. I just hate to see all the waste and trash that everyone seems to take for granted. All that **** just ends up in the landfill, or along the roadsides when they're haphazardly discarded. I just choose not to do that. Again, no biggie.

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/20 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I can say is google " dangers of reusable grocery bags".

Some reputable studies have been done. We used them for a while and now mostly use throw away bags. We recycle them for what that is worth, no telling where they end up. At least we are not worrying about what might be growing in our bags.

To each their own...

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/20 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

riven1950 wrote:

All I can say is google " dangers of reusable grocery bags".

Some reputable studies have been done. We used them for a while and now mostly use throw away bags. We recycle them for what that is worth, no telling where they end up. At least we are not worrying about what might be growing in our bags.

To each their own...

Funny, we periodically put ours in the wash if they're gnarly. They are certainly better than the plastic bags that invariably tear and spew their contents and a packet reusable bag stands up and doesn't sling its contents all over the back of an SUV or car trunk. And we're still alive.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I do believe plastics are a environmental problem I use the plastic store bags for my garbage bags. At the end of the day I through the bag in the trash outside. I haven't purchased trash bags for thirty-five years. I do the same in the RV as well. So my plastic bags get reused. I do have a reusable insulated bag for frozen foods I use. Another use for the plastic store bags is for dog waste, especially while camping.

Our city has two trash containers for each house. One for recycling and another for trash.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Germs, viruses and fuel pump handles and doors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.