|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Brand New Vizio 40 inch TV problem, HELP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use dish not directv but the way Bill Satellite says is the way I do it on the rear TV. The front TV used the HDMI and the rear TV used the coax. Put the TV on OTA and do a scan.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the specs on that new TV.....does it have QAM Tuner?
QAM Tuner may be needed for you cable/sat reception

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the OP is using the RF out from the receiver it will be an analog NTSC TV signal, most likely channel 3. QAM is for digital cable so does not apply.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Beaker

Brevard, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vote for TV input.
Never had to scan tv for channels with DirecTV.
Had trouble once by using SWM which I didn't need.

2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These Vizios do NOT come with a manual. It puts guys like me at a great disadvantage.
For the initial channel scan, I followed the instructions on the TV screen when I first turned it on. Both the Spectrum small receiver box (HDMI one connection) AND the Direct TV small receiver (co-ax connection) were hooked up. It displayed a progress indicator showing the rate of scan. I assumed it scanned-in the Spectrum channels.
Showing my ignorance, ......even if I can find the way to do it, how would a 2nd scan help if it doesn't recognize the Direct TV cable?
Yes, I do know how to select the different inputs (sources) with the remote controller. There's only ONE labeled CABLE ONE. There's 4 HDMI ports.
If I find the info that I want to find, GREAT. But, if I do not, I'll somehow get in touch with a Direct TV technician and find out the cost of receiver box which is compatible with this Vizio. Or, find a Sony or Samsung model that works with my box (co-ax). I have a 46" Sony AND a 32" Samsung which receive the Direct TV co-ax signal just fine. I bought the 40" Viscio because the 2 HDMI ports on the 32" Samsung quit working. I chose a 40" Vizio because the wife wanted to max the size that will fit in the cabinet where we had the 32" Samsung. Thanks for all the information.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

jorbill2or

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/20 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the spectrum was on a hdmi cable , spectrum doesnt scan only the one connected to the coax (cable one ?) does . Turn the tv to the HDmi port that you plugged in then use the spectrum box to control channels etc.
one question , since you say the cable was connected , was the dtv box not only "connected" but on and on a dtv channel when you did the scan ? since your other tv worked the new one should also
what is the model number on the TV .. someone can look it up the instructions You can too on the Vizio web site
Vizio
Actually it sounds like your tv input "cable one" is not set properly to scan for over the air tv .

Bill

Cloud Dancer

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Spectrum receiver, using the HDMI-1 port, with the HDMI cable that came with the Spectrum receiver, has ALWAYS worked just fine, no matter which TV I connect to,....of course it has to be a TV which has HDMI ports. In other words, I have never experienced any problems UNTIL I bought this Vizio (no problem watching Spectum cable channels).
I would have NO problem if the Vizio would receive the Direct TV channels, through the co-ax port and cable. Switching from one to the other would not be a problem.
Even if the Direct TV signal comes into the Vizio in "low definition" it would be OK (would live with it). Heck, the existing quality of Direct TV signal is the only quality of Direct TV we've ever experienced (many years).

* This post was edited 03/17/20 09:36pm by Cloud Dancer *

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a thought because we have a Vizio on the camper, did you make sure you selected "Cable" and not "Antenna" when you selected the source? Ours has that selection and nothing happens if the cable is hooked up and you select "Antenna".

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cloud Dancer

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Just a thought because we have a Vizio on the camper, did you make sure you selected "Cable" and not "Antenna" when you selected the source? Ours has that selection and nothing happens if the cable is hooked up and you select "Antenna".

This would be such a simple solution,....if only this Vizio had more than one place to connect two(2) co-ax cables.
BTW all of this is in a BRICK House. The Dutch Star is a different subject (it's a 2003 model with the original CRT type Sony TVs).

lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/20 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wait Wait, you cannot connect a DirecTV receiver to a new tv using the coax port. The coax port is for OTA antenna or un-encripted cable only. The DirecTV receiver must be connected to the tv via a HDMI port. The tuner connected to the coax port in the tv cannot decode the signal from any DirecTV receiver.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Brand New Vizio 40 inch TV problem, HELP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.